BUG: Light deforms Anakin´s face!

Hello fellow modders,

I am asking for help with one glitch and it is really neccesary for me to solve that. My EP2 Anakin model has head created by Kevin Coyle (Anakin model created sometime in 2003). It looks decent and I have even reskinned it to look like proper Hayden Christensen but unfortunately when the light falls on that face it looks completely different and very ugly. I know other model´s faces also change a little bit in shadow/light but that is different case. This is really too much so Im asking community to help me. Thank you!

In Modview

a1ZFvsR.jpg
In the light (ugly and weird)!
bJWaPRw.png

And in the shadow
6IDNiYo.png

Looks like it can be fixed using a normal editor. Maybe using a weighted normals plugin in 3dsmax, Blender or Maya could do the trick. Sometimes the topology is almost perfect smooth and the model could still look fucked up because of bad normals.

@@Tompa9 I have taken a look, with that topology it's unlikely that you'll get anywhere with just editing the vertex normals in blender.

this model has seen some unlucky triangulation alongside the unoptimal edgeflow.

fixing this model would require a major redirection of the edgeflow and therefore essentially a partial remodel.

pgsEUAk.png

without the wireframe overlay :

y8aWwCO.png

the ears and a few toher spots also have very funky edgeflow/topology.

I'd really not use this mesh.

General Howard likes this

A tutorial on fixing this specific model? No.

But there are some rules to follow while modeling to ensure that something shades the way you want it to.

To apply these rules you must know 2 things: the Rules to follow and how to use the modelung program of your choice.

Lookup polygon modeling tutorials for Blender, that should give you a basic grasp on how to use the various tools in your Arsenal. After that - play around with those tools to further understand the way they work. Once you feel ready to tackle the next topic, look up tutorials for modeling lowpoly heads/faces. Focus on Edgeflow and topology.

Tompa9 likes this