Vast terrains are a PAIN in JKA's engine.

This. Though I did manage to BSP compile a huge 128000 x 128000 map a long time ago (can't remember the height, maybe 32000 or 64000). If the calculations are correct (64 = 1.80 m), that amounts to about 3.6 x 3.6 km. I seem to remember it took me 13 minutes of running from the south-east corner to the north-west corner of the map :P

AngelModder likes this

This. Though I did manage to BSP compile a huge 128000 x 128000 map a long time ago (can't remember the height, maybe 32000 or 64000). If the calculations are correct (64 = 1.80 m), that amounts to about 3.6 x 3.6 km. I seem to remember it took me 13 minutes of running from the south-east corner to the north-west corner of the map :P

yea I've done some like desert style simple maps on request a few times. They just wanted a giant sand box, dunes with a few rock models etc. Named simply the dune sea. was 5 layers of the same piece stretching as far as you're allowed to in each direction in radiant X & Y Abut 512 -768 max for the dunes and just simple teleports to the north east south and west sections which were just the same terrain pieces rotated around. No need for blending, just simple shade angled sand. I want to say it was 28000 brushes when finished but took only like an hour to fully compile with a bounce 8. Granted the overall lighting scale was set to 4 to give the shadows a more blurry effect over the dunes. One of those times lowering the quality had a visual advantage.

Jeff and Smoo like this

yea I've done some like desert style simple maps on request a few times. They just wanted a giant sand box, dunes with a few rock models etc. Named simply the dune sea. was 5 layers of the same piece stretching as far as you're allowed to in each direction in radiant X & Y Abut 512 -768 max for the dunes and just simple teleports to the north east south and west sections which were just the same terrain pieces rotated around. No need for blending, just simple shade angled sand. I want to say it was 28000 brushes when finished but took only like an hour to fully compile with a bounce 8. Granted the overall lighting scale was set to 4 to give the shadows a more blurry effect over the dunes. One of those times lowering the quality had a visual advantage.

You still have the map?