Kanan Jarrus (Very Early W.I.P) Jedi Academy Model

Very nice!

If you get stuck with getting him ingame via 3ds max - hit me up on discord or pm :winkthumb:

Many thanks for the kinds words and offer! I'm currently downgrading my max from 2016 to 8 to keep everything importing properly as I seem to be missing the bolt_tags when i import .

I'm mostly following this tutorial: https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/166-character-modeling-for-jk-in-3ds-max-walkthrough/ and going trial and error along with with this:

I think i understand the most basic's of the process i reckon getting this part nailed down in my hand with get rid of any worry I have while I finish up the rest of the model/textures. Thanks again !  :winkthumb:

Wait, wait, wait, what are you importing? We have a perfectly fine jka skeleton + bolts in .max format hosted on here!

It's for max 8 but loads fine in newer versions.

and I noticed your model is missing hands...

feel free to borrow mine :P

Oh! I did not know about that Skeleton  rig I was just importing the one from kyle with the glm importer in max 2016 and figured because it was a newer 3ds max the bolts probably were not importing properly.  :lol:

Yeah the model is handless at the moment im re-doing the topology of the kyle hand in topogun and poping it onto kanan, But thats really kind of ya thanks! ill use it for the test fore sure cheers! 

6aaCXBe.gif

Importing a skeleton with the glm importer is not a good idea upon compilation against _humanoid.gla in carcass the skeleton is resized to 0.64 times its original scale.
Therefore you'll have to export the model as glm again if you import a skeleton from glm , you can't take the carcass/assimilate route.

Which is not necessarily a problem - but as of now the glm exporter won't export LODs properly.

Importing a skeleton with the glm importer is not a good idea upon compilation against _humanoid.gla in carcass the skeleton is resized to 0.64 times its original scale.

Therefore you'll have to export the model as glm again if you import a skeleton from glm , you can't take the carcass/assimilate route.

Which is not necessarily a problem - but as of now the glm exporter won't export LODs properly.

Yeah I noticed this during comparing my model scale from Jka reference to the skeleton I had to rescale it to fit, I downloaded the file you sent me and its much easier to understand along with not scaling itself to the incorrect proportions thanks again for that.  :winkthumb:

I should have a test by tonight latest on what is causing hassle and what isnt.

I might give it to a few testers as people who play the game more than I do will be able to push it abit more than I can with modview. Only thing is I dont want an incomplete model making its rounds on the net lol.  :lol: 

4th time is a charm!

rxf0RHH.jpg

Kualan and swegmaster like this

@@Liam make sure not to weight anything to non-jka bones, I'd recommend hiding and freezing these irrelevant layers in the scene

EDIT: also any plans on what you're gonna do for textures yet?

Yeah I read your notes in the file the non essential bones I put on hide layer just to be on the safe side.

In terms of textures I'm thinking sculpt in zbrush as subtools then from that use quixel ndo/ddo to clean up any issues / See hard part for me is finding that balance of rebels which i love but also jedi academy which is more like...realism so its going to be a challenge. I'f I was going to pick a style I would pick something like Wildstar/Disney Infinity blended with Dishonored 2 . 

Kind of like the hard surfaces and planes of the Disney infinity but the realism/style they went for with for Dishonored if that makes sense.

rYNH7pD.jpg

@@Liam so you do not have access to Substance Painter? dang - because I spent the past 3 years developing this on the side

4mrmDczl.png

making texztures is kinda ...hard these days .. i mean to understand them .. i kinda afraid i will not teach new generation techniques by aping the programs and tutorials from Yt - we should understand these things .. not learn from tutorials like : ok so he clicked option here so i will do the same... 

Also one thing AshuraDX :) - depends on style or taste i think we can add color to the specular texture! Lighting on the material is not always 100% white but it can use colors .. specialy when these lightning on the weapon is something ...imaginary because lightning from the map doesnt affect on the weapon model.. if i remember correctly (lightning junior is .. am i right?)

PqJmqSG.jpg

i made a little compare ^^ i changed the spec texture a little. Maybe a little too much of blue but You know what i mean ;)

Edited by Langerd
Liam likes this

@@Liam so you do not have access to Substance Painter? dang - because I spent the past 3 years developing this on the side

4mrmDczl.png

I recently got a 1 year of substance painter it looks/does very impressive stuff only thing i was concerned about using it is that its made primearly for pbr workflows and since ja doesent do normal maps (from what I know) and such i was guessing the diffuse will have to do most of the heavy lifting.  :mellow:

Langerd likes this

making texztures is kinda ...hard these days .. i mean to understand them .. i kinda afraid i will not teach new generation techniques by aping the programs and tutorials from Yt - we should understand these things .. not learn from tutorials like : ok so he clicked option here so i will do the same... 

I wish there was a tutorial for understanding proper texture creating techniques in JKA. Most of the things related to skinning are just about changing colors :(

Also one thing AshuraDX :) - depends on style or taste i think we can add color to the specular texture! Lighting on the material is not always 100% white but it can use colors .. specialy when these lightning on the weapon is something ...imaginary because lightning from the map doesnt affect on the weapon model.. if i remember correctly (lightning junior is .. am i right?)

PqJmqSG.jpg

i made a little compare ^^ i changed the spec texture a little. Maybe a little too much of blue but You know what i mean ;)

ofc - but what you jsut did creates a blue highlgiht in any light environment!

if you have red lgihting - the highlight will still come of us blue that way, white is a neutral color.

@@Liam that is correct - without rend 2 or GL2 JKA does not support normal maps nor full PBR materials

but my PBRtoJKA material uses the data supplied from a PBR material, adds some baked maps to that data and craps out a diffuse and a specular texture for JKA that look amazeballs in this old game.

Langerd, Liam and Noodle like this

ofc - but what you jsut did creates a blue highlgiht in any light environment!

if you have red lgihting - the highlight will still come of us blue that way, white is a neutral color.

@@Liam that is correct - without rend 2 or GL2 JKA does not support normal maps nor full PBR materials

but my PBRtoJKA material uses the data supplied from a PBR material, adds some baked maps to that data and craps out a diffuse and a specular texture for JKA that look amazeballs in this old game.

Sounds Interesting I'll have to give it a look and see if I can get it to work when I get to texturing Kanan, I was tempted to use painter but was held back from the lack of bpr but if your method does work ill give it a go!  :winkthumb:

Edit: Had a quick look at the bake lighting inside of Substance Very impressive stuff!

Alright so after alot of trial and error I THINK ive nearly got the hang of the rigging and such so should be good to go soon. 

I wanted to lower Kanans polygon count from the 2200's to something more manageable mostly for myself to keep the skinning easier.

This does not at all mean i lowered the quality of the model I looked at the before and after and except for a few mass changes its basically the same shape and detail as before.

I do not mind any mass changes as sculpting adds it back in in the long run .

I managed to get Kanan back down to 1900 polys by reducing the res of the limbs from 12 sided to 8 sided along with some more loops for the knee's and chest/back.

Now I think in the morning I'm going to get uvw-maping this guy and get things ready for sculpting which I wanted to do this weekend but wanted to get the fear of skinning/rigging out off my mind.

GNzOzlg.jpg

MagSul and Scerendo like this

Looks promising so far, I'm glad someone is doing a new model for him!

Yeah I read your notes in the file the non essential bones I put on hide layer just to be on the safe side.

In terms of textures I'm thinking sculpt in zbrush as subtools then from that use quixel ndo/ddo to clean up any issues / See hard part for me is finding that balance of rebels which i love but also jedi academy which is more like...realism so its going to be a challenge. I'f I was going to pick a style I would pick something like Wildstar/Disney Infinity blended with Dishonored 2 . 

Kind of like the hard surfaces and planes of the Disney infinity but the realism/style they went for with for Dishonored if that makes sense.

If I recall in some of the comics they did a good job of translating the cartoony style to something more realistic

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/star-wars-canon/images/b/b5/Sloane_captured_Kanan.png/revision/latest?cb=20161126191329

But regardless, looking forward to seeing how it goes :)

General Howard and Liam like this

Looks promising so far, I'm glad someone is doing a new model for him!

If I recall in some of the comics they did a good job of translating the cartoony style to something more realistic

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/star-wars-canon/images/b/b5/Sloane_captured_Kanan.png/revision/latest?cb=20161126191329

But regardless, looking forward to seeing how it goes :)

Many thanks man! 

After looking at your work in the community its encouraging to hear that!   :winkthumb:

Even tho I die by the hands of your models everyday in moviebattles 2 thats beside the point lol .

Yeah Kanan has a lot of reference I'm going to have to look into for that more realistic look the one you posted because it does have a great blend.

I never actually seen before and its actually great for head reference.

I'll post up my moodboard/references before I head into work but here is one I just love and totally wish I had the talent to re-create.  :lol: 

I'd also like to point out I just realised he looks so much like Steven Seagal

70wqMTK.jpg

sqQUpQw.jpg

Small update, I'm going to be radio silent over next few days as I have the week of from work.

I really want to put all my effort into this for you guys and really push myself to get this the best it can be so have no fears it's coming just taking my time and doing it properly. :) 

Penekowski and AshuraDX like this

And I seriously hope this isn't going into the penekepack, with all that exclusive rights stuff.

Keep it essentially "free", @@Liam.. Keeps everybody happy that way  :winkthumb:.

What's so bad about peneke pack having exclusives? 

and Liam, your Kanan looks great so far, looking forward to trying it or something, we also have a decent soundpack that we could provide for your model, just as a small contribution

Liam likes this

The model looks great, but I hope he doesn't end up looking like Steven Seagal, it'd be too comical for me. 

What's so bad about peneke pack having exclusives? 

I don't get how some people claim ownership of models in which 99% of the content is ported from somewhere else, like with all the TOR and TFU ports in that pack. 

General Howard likes this

I don't get how some people claim ownership of models in which 99% of the content is ported from somewhere else, like with all the TOR and TFU ports in that pack. 

We don't claim ownership of the models, but rather the action of porting them. Anyone can download non-ported models online, but good luck to them getting the models rigged for the game. I still see your point, but don't want to get this thread off-topic. Feel free to PM me to further discuss the conversation.

Penekowski, The Punisher and Noodle like this