SEARCHING Encoder for kotf 2.1

I don't mean to be rude, but you'll have more luck winning the lottery than finding a competent coder interested in working on a mod with such a deserved shit reputation.

The "deserved shit reputation" was earned by some Turkish guy that couldn't be bothered to finish what he started.

We are 2.1, the version that SHOULD have been made. We aren't affiliated with Tim in any way, shape, or form.

J19 and Lancelot like this

@@Noodle

Take a look at this: https://jkhub.org/files/file/3121-knights-of-the-force/

You are talking about the old KotF. The new version is totally different. It even has a better character selection menu, which

is way better sorted and more intuitive. And speaking of characters, there are way more now than the old KotF had to offer, and in a better quality.

On top of that, every content has got the permission by their authors, so you can consider this version as legal.

Only Multiplayer is working right now, and the Singleplayer part seems to be broken still. So, coding is needed to get the Singleplayer mode working.

Once it's working, the mod would take a huge step forward. But it seems that not many are willing to help in that.

J19 likes this

As far as I can tell, the creators of KotF 2.1 just wants OpenJK's "limits" to be insanely high for the mod, such as NPC limits. 

We have a solution to bypass the npc limit openjk has. We have a high amount of npcs, characters alone we have over 300. I project individual npcs will probably be somewhere in the 400s.

It's still not clear what sort of "coding" needs there are. If specific needs can be laid out the community can help much easier.

Basically we want to re-create the single player menus that the old KOTF had, with the same functionality.

Yeah, the NPC limit is the most important thing that needs to be raised up.

Is pretty easy to do that:

You need just cmake, openjk and visual studio 2010 -2012. istall visual studio, build a solution with cmake and edit this field into NPC_stats.cpp

change that:

#define MAX_NPC_DATA_SIZE 0x40000 //

into

#define MAX_NPC_DATA_SIZE 0x80000 // original is 0x40000

after that, make a Release  build of Openjk exe and jagamex86.dll with batch build process and you got it!.

However, i had tryied many years ago original KOTF. i liked the idea, but i was disappointed  about "malware" and missing of a SP campaign with a rebuild of the movie adventures. so i am very happy you're doing this project. i cannot help for UI interface but about NPCs that's all you need. there was however an old mod with a nice SP menu with character and saber descrition and creation called escape from yavin 4. maybe if you download and check the ui files you can get the answer about how to configure a nice SP menu. ey4 is a very old mod and it not have any code attempt on SP. but personally i tryied amazing.

Is pretty easy to do that:

You need just cmake, openjk and visual studio 2010 -2012. istall visual studio, build a solution with cmake and edit this field into NPC_stats.cpp

change that:

#define MAX_NPC_DATA_SIZE 0x40000 //

into

#define MAX_NPC_DATA_SIZE 0x80000 // original is 0x40000

after that, make a Release  build of Openjk exe and jagamex86.dll with batch build process and you got it!.

However, i had tryied many years ago original KOTF. i liked the idea, but i was disappointed  about "malware" and missing of a SP campaign with a rebuild of the movie adventures. so i am very happy you're doing this project. i cannot help for UI interface but about NPCs that's all you need. there was however an old mod with a nice SP menu with character and saber descrition and creation called escape from yavin 4. maybe if you download and check the ui files you can get the answer about how to configure a nice SP menu. ey4 is a very old mod and it not have any code attempt on SP. but personally i tryied amazing.

We tried your solution, and the openjk build we're using already has that, but there's still a limit, albeit a pretty high limit.

We tried your solution, and the openjk build we're using already has that, but there's still a limit, albeit a pretty high limit.

So you basically desire to totally remove that limit. Well, i not sure is possible, because for doing something like that you need to rewrite all code architecture of allocation memory. JKA is a game of 2003. for the age, this limit cap is sufficient enough.

Recently i written an AI that allow NPC to act like boba fett, switching weapons and using force power in combat. maybe you require something like that, because in that case, you can set just a NPC for model with all weapon you want NPC will equip, and you not need 300 thousand of npc. AI also chase enemies and do randomly alt fire. if enemy is close and have a saber into NPC file inventory, weapon, AI use saber, if enemy is too distance, switch to other rifles and ranged weapons.

J19 and Smoo like this

So you basically desire to totally remove that limit. Well, i not sure is possible, because for doing something like that you need to rewrite all code architecture of allocation memory. JKA is a game of 2003. for the age, this limit cap is sufficient enough.

Recently i written an AI that allow NPC to act like boba fett, switching weapons and using force power in combat. maybe you require something like that, because in that case, you can set just a NPC for model with all weapon you want NPC will equip, and you not need 300 thousand of npc. AI also chase enemies and do randomly alt fire. if enemy is close and have a saber into NPC file inventory, weapon, AI use saber, if enemy is too distance, switch to other rifles and ranged weapons.

It would be handy. But I was mainly planning on writing a third-party program that does the add/load stuff, player choice involved.

But yes, we could reduce the npcs we have if we had that sort of AI, especially with the Old Republic and Sith Troopers, Only the normal clone troopers could really use thermals if needed, but there are a few.

Also on an unrelated note, how does one give an NPC no weapons whatsoever? WP_None just gives the npc a blaster rifle, and WP_Melee just has their hands up all goofy-like.

It would be handy. But I was mainly planning on writing a third-party program that does the add/load stuff, player choice involved.

But yes, we could reduce the npcs we have if we had that sort of AI, especially with the Old Republic and Sith Troopers, Only the normal clone troopers could really use thermals if needed, but there are a few.

Also on an unrelated note, how does one give an NPC no weapons whatsoever? WP_None just gives the npc a blaster rifle, and WP_Melee just has their hands up all goofy-like.

On my mod: 

WP_NONE on the AI : shoot with wp_blaster and randomly altfire. can use force power grip, push \ pull etc when shoot (default sith and jedi when they shoot are silly stuck on shoot with weapons, only cultist have acrobatic evasion, but a jedi with blaster has a pretty default stupid behavour. my AI allow npc to use force power when they shoots the enemy. common used: grip, lightning, push and pull. )

WP_MELEE: npc chase player and hit with punches. the punches do more damage of normal. but i maybe is because i edited the MOD_MELEE damage into g_combat.cpp (like MOD_DEMP2 of assassin droid )

look, i cannot make a compile for you in this time because i have heal problem and an incoming hospital recover for get better diagnosys and cures. but i builded already Dll and EXE sp with the AI working on two npc class (CLASS_SITH and CLASS_SITHTROOPER) and also on all force user class of game (so is used also by CLASS_JEDI, LUKE, KYLE, GALAK, JAN, SHADOWTROOPER, DESANN, TAVION, ALORA etc etc )  for epic challenge mod IV of  @@RJA . why you not ask to him if he want to pass with you exe and dll of mod (it contains also 3 new shoot weapons and more saber colors for what i know) for you project? maybe also source code that i edited for him with AI so you can upgrade with some other coder for UI stuff you desire? 

(sorry but i cannot help never on that, i never edited or studied the UI code for now )

On my mod: 

WP_NONE on the AI : shoot with wp_blaster and randomly altfire. can use force power grip, push \ pull etc when shoot (default sith and jedi when they shoot are silly stuck on shoot with weapons, only cultist have acrobatic evasion, but a jedi with blaster has a pretty default stupid behavour. my AI allow npc to use force power when they shoots the enemy. common used: grip, lightning, push and pull. )

WP_MELEE: npc chase player and hit with punches. the punches do more damage of normal. but i maybe is because i edited the MOD_MELEE damage into g_combat.cpp (like MOD_DEMP2 of assassin droid )

look, i cannot make a compile for you in this time because i have heal problem and an incoming hospital recover for get better diagnosys and cures. but i builded already Dll and EXE sp with the AI working on two npc class (CLASS_SITH and CLASS_SITHTROOPER) and also on all force user class of game (so is used also by CLASS_JEDI, LUKE, KYLE, GALAK, JAN, SHADOWTROOPER, DESANN, TAVION, ALORA etc etc )  for epic challenge mod IV of  @@RJA . why you not ask to him if he want to pass with you exe and dll of mod (it contains also 3 new shoot weapons and more saber colors for what i know) for you project? maybe also source code that i edited for him with AI so you can upgrade with some other coder for UI stuff you desire? 

(sorry but i cannot help never on that, i never edited or studied the UI code for now )

I'll leave it up to @@Fire Phoenix to decide, this is his mod after all, I'm just the npc guy, xD.

Get better soon!

You can also get npc to attack any enemy
Since npc only concentrate on tying oneself up and makes you feel silly
Since it does not attack the others
Is it possible to make this stop happening?

You can also get npc to attack any enemy
Since npc only concentrate on tying oneself up and makes you feel silly
Since it does not attack the others
Is it possible to make this stop happening?

This happen already in default game, if you add allied NPC to support you. Is sufficient to use icarus in map and use SET_ENEMY command to set as enemy NPCs of your teammate. enemy NPC simply get aggro on the nearest opponent. 

i see with my AI they attack also NPC without problems. all depend by circumstances.

Saberist are a more dangerous target of shooters, so player get "aggro" in a certain sense (is a jedi, after all) . if teammates are jedi with sabers the enemy attack the offending or nearest target by default. also, if they are in state BS_FOLLOW_LEADER and there is a previuous npc setted as leader with SET_LEADER on icarus, they try to defend the commander. (so "minions" attack who try to attack his captain. )

In regards to the menus, if you can give me very specific examples -- in other words, we want this exact page of the menu to look exactly like the original but with [x] -- I could probably give you a hand on some of it. I can't promise anything, but you don't have any takers yet and the .menu system isn't overly difficult to help out with.

****EDIT****

So I've been talking to @linken233 via PM. I now get what the team is getting at. I also think after taking some time to dig through the .menu files for both the base game and KotF I can do what you're looking for. My question now is how you want to handle single player. It could follow the same premise as multiplayer, or it could alter the SP campaign in some way.