Improvements to FORCE GRIP (Choke)?

Ok,

So for a while now, there's been this running thing going, with the Force Grip in the game. I've often found the "base" Force Grip in the game, somewhat not like the real thing.. Or certainly how it is in the movies.

So, with that in mind.. As we know by now, like every other Force power in the game, Force Grip has 3 different levels/stages of development..
(see below)
Star-Wars-Jedi-Knight-Jedi-Academy-small

Level/Stage 1 of the Force Grip is the basic level, that allows you to Force Grip an enemy (initially) for about 1-2 seconds, but have no control over their movement or direction and isn't really that effective, at all. This is quite underwhelming, even for the first stage of the Force Grip power.

Now, personally I've always thought that Level/Stage 2 of Force Grip would be more a case of what we know and have seen from Vader, in the movies. Specifically, what Anakin/Vader did to Padme in Ep. III: RoTS (see below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3zVq-n9WHw

Being a much more powerful and stronger version of Level/Stage 1 and being able to Force Grip the enemy until death or until released (with the enemy still being stationary on the ground). Again, this isn't the case with this animation, as the animation and effect is much more like what is seen with Level/Stage 3.

Level/Stage 3 of Force Grip, allows you to control the movement of the enemy, by holding them up in the air and can essentially throw them around and pretty much have complete control of the enemy, until death or until they're released (This is also raises the enemy up, off the ground and allowing for control of them in mid-air). This level of Force Grip, makes sense.. As it's maxed out.

Is there any way to modify this and improve these effects and animations?

**Note**
Also, to improve the overall visuals of the animation/s, is there a way to remove the *red glow* effect around the victim/enemy's throat and the Attacker's hands?

krkarr likes this

If i am not wrong, isn't this supposed to be Force Grip icon:

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?s=e1c66bf8717ad1e066c6bad483dbae51&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=7211&p=103482&md5check=bdd0f5f0ebdd1a4a36083685a1184406&isRte=1,XJjZaj8buz,true,false,2cg6JMqzpTs'); //]]></script>wHJ7UdQ.jpg

instead of the Force Heal, that you showed above.&&0

Yeah, it wasn't supposed to be specifying "Force Heal", in particular. It was just showcasing the Force Powers screen and that they all have 3 levels. I was trying to find the screen that showed Force Grip, but this was the only one available on Google Images.

I made it from the game itself with print screen. But from what i can understand you are one of many people who want to improve/edit/fix/change/improve the basic all 3 levels of the Force Grip, or?

Yes.. Essentially, trying or wanting to change the effects of Force Grip, as mentioned in the original post. I always thought Level 2 of Force Grip was too much like Level 3 and Level 1 is so lacklustre, it's like it isn't even worth having.

And also wanting to get rid of that red glow, that's just an unnecessary effect to add on. All it really does is show the "area of effect" and shows that it's a Dark Side Force Power. Like Kyle Katarn basically says in the game; no Force power is inherently good or evil, it's how you use the power that determines the morality.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be releasing a sound mod, after my Skybox, with improved sounds and such that include more "movie like" sounds for things like Force Powers and such. All that I need to do, is find someone who can alter the animations for the 3 different levels of Force Grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd change Force Grip the following way:

Lvl1 - Standard Force Grip but make it interactive, as in apply it as long as you want, not just toggle it for a minute.

Lvl2 - Standard level 3 Force Grip, like in the BOC duel in Ep3, when Dooku gripped Obi-Wan before trapping him under the catwalk.

Lvl3 - Force Crush like in KOTOR

But, that's just me.

Personally, I also think it could use a new animation. The base/default animation just looks so "stiff" (model leans back a little and has a taught arm with a "cup" hand).

I think something along the lines of what Vader does to that Imperial in "A New Hope", in the Death Star.

The way I'd change Force Grip would be:

- Lvl.1 - (As you mentioned) Standard Force Grip but make it interactive, as in apply it as long as you want, not just toggle it for a minute (This Lvl wouldn't kill the npc or enemy, after any duration of time, but just choke them)

- Lvl.2 - The same as Lvl.1, only this time, if Force Grip is held for long enough, it will kill the .npc or enemy (but take away any levitation that is seen in the base/default of Lvl.2 and Lvl.3)

- Lvl.3 - Standard level 3 Force Grip, like in the "Battle over Coruscant" duel in Ep. III, when Dooku Force Gripped Obi-Wan, before trapping him under the catwalk.

krkarr likes this

I actually kinda disagree. The ability to apply a grip quickly is great for making enemies stop shooting at you quickly. Unfortunately, this isn't as good as it can be, since the range is ultimately hampered. It's also not terribly quick to apply or kill people. I think if you simply made Grip 1 have a long range and take less time to apply, you've got the basics of a good power. At rank 2, it should slowly raise up and drag the enemy towards you as long as you've got the button held. Rank 3 is fine, no real changes necessary, but you shouldn't be able to drag them around unless the grip was initiated at a close range.

The glow part is gfx/effects/whiteglow, which is used by a large number of other effects.

Darth Sion likes this

In my opinion : Force grip level 2 suck. You just lift the enemy and deal damage. But You must have cursor on them which is compeletely useless.
The level 1 maybe block other force powers when You grip someone but You can (if You play with blasters.. Many times i play with them) STUN the enemy and just headshot them if they are not force users.

The level 3 is amazing.

the_raven likes this

In my opinion : Force grip level 2 suck. You just lift the enemy and deal damage. But You must have cursor on them which is compeletely useless.

The level 1 maybe block other force powers when You grip someone but You can (if You play with blasters.. Many times i play with them) STUN the enemy and just headshot them if they are not force users.

The level 3 is amazing.

The level 3 is not amazing... you can't grip multiple targets at one time. So is suck.. level 2 should be the curent level 3.

• 2 weeks later...

well, you can still throw your lightsaber at them and harm or even kill them that way...or have you allies kill them in any way they can.

also, this topic reminded me of a PoTD from JK3files where Kyle and a Reborn were Force Gripping each other and neither wanted to let go. such a shame I can't find it anywhere :(

Well, I've managed to do a proper Force Grip/Choke sound and managed to remove the "red glow" around the enemy's throat. Now, all that needs doing is to sort out the different level animations. etc.

P.s Animations and such is not my field, just so you know. So if anyone wants to help out?

krkarr likes this

Or, you could just add additional force levels & make level 1 Grip deal 3 damage instead of 0 via code, like I did...

What I'm trying to achieve for the Force power, overall.. Is;

The way I'd change Force Grip would be:

- Lvl.1 - Standard Force Grip but make it interactive, as in apply it as long as you want, not just toggle it for a minute (This Lvl wouldn't kill the npc or enemy, after any duration of time, but just choke them)

- Lvl.2 - The same as Lvl.1, only this time, if Force Grip is held for long enough, it will kill the .npc or enemy (but take away any the "over-the-top" levitation animation, that is seen in the base/default of Lvl.2 and Lvl.3)

- Lvl.3 - Standard level 3 Force Grip, like in the "Battle over Coruscant" duel in Ep. III, when Dooku Force Gripped Obi-Wan, before trapping him under the catwalk.

• 4 weeks later...

Not without code, I think. :(

Do you think it'd be something you could help out with doing?

I always found it pretty dumb (with this in particular).. How Raven coded it. There's literally no difference between Lvl. 2 and Lvl. 3 of Force Choke/Grip, at all. :huh: