Problem with saber

Go to solution Solved by Daedra,

Problem is, that when he uses those sabers with other models it all works good. When he use them with Starstrider they give this error message.

And whenever Starstrider as playermodel, or as a NPC is using this same sabers the error is coming out, and when he uses other kind of saber hilts (normals, dual, staff, backhands) it works perfect.

We want to know: How to fix this problem and make this character use his own sabers without any problems.

Daedra and Asgarath83 like this

Yes. i use the version 5 of max and GLM importer is fine, but model lost the rigs and the skeleton. :\

i not know if the more recent glm importer allows to import also skeleton and rig. o.o

I thought it did? The latest version I think.

Yes. i use the version 5 of max and GLM importer is fine, but model lost the rigs and the skeleton. :\

i not know if the more recent glm importer allows to import also skeleton and rig. o.o

The latest version does. Any chance you could take a look to help with the error? :P

I got that error because the AT-ST had a high polygon count, there is no way your saber should have something in the 6k range, if so you did something VERY wrong.

The model did spawn but the game crashed when shooting the NPC possibly because of the damage effect used by the game which renders a double model over top with the lightning around it much like protect and absorb.

I got that error because the AT-ST had a high polygon count, there is no way your saber should have something in the 6k range, if so you did something VERY wrong.

The model did spawn but the game crashed when shooting the NPC possibly because of the damage effect used by the game which renders a double model over top with the lightning around it much like protect and absorb.

I personally am not so sure if it comes from the model, because the Starstrider model, does work without any problems with all force powers and all other weapons (including all sabers you might know). Also i have the same saber "Anakin Ep.2 hilt" but changed the name, so when i spawn the saber i do this: npc saber anakinep2 and this brings up the saber. There are no errors with it. That is why my personal guess is, that something's wrong with the saber turned into a backhand saber or the animation he's using. Not sure  :huh:

I personally am not so sure if it comes from the model, because the Starstrider model, does work without any problems with all force powers and all other weapons (including all sabers you might know). Also i have the same saber "Anakin Ep.2 hilt" but changed the name, so when i spawn the saber i do this: npc saber anakinep2 and this brings up the saber. There are no errors with it. That is why my personal guess is, that something's wrong with the saber turned into a backhand saber or the animation he's using. Not sure  :huh:

Default animations won't do that. :P I think it's something to do with having both sabers out together causes too many polys to be loaded forcing a crash in the ghoul2 thing.

I have openjk, so i cannot test for you in game. the model into 3d max is very fine. vertex count of every single mesh is less of the cap of 1000 vertexes. there are not ghost vertexes and also after i cleaned up the meshes the vertexes number is egual.

they are High poly saber blades, but i have also a lot of HD sabers on my mod, also with a thousand of total vertexes, splitted in many minor meshes, and they works fine.

i desire to check the starstrider jedi model if is possible.

there is nothing wrongs with that sabers, so is really strange they crashes. i have also checked the shader file and is fine, there is no one strange parameters. 

o.o

also true, that for JKA default engine without Openjk, this saber model his really heavy for the graphics limits. 

so if starstride model is an high poly surfaces model too, i have not surprise if you get this error. i got this error also with a my model.

no highpoly, and her knives works fine, but model + knifes make the error.

i wanna to check the sctructure of jedi model, if you can give me the link. :)

ROTFL i forgive...

@

@@dark_apprentice

evocation spell casted.

Summoning! :D

Verts: 3,647

Holy fuck that's a LOT for a saber.

Post some pics, you badly need to optimize that model, no saber should have more than 1k verts total and even then you're overdoing it. Breaking the model up to go around the vertex count doesn't work all the time, all splitting the model up into multiple segments does is let the model compile without error.

You also have to remember that the GLM format breaks edges on UV boundaries further increasing the vertex count.

Post some pics, you badly need to optimize that model, no saber should have more than 1k verts total and even then you're overdoing it. Breaking the model up to go around the vertex count doesn't work all the time, all splitting the model up into multiple segments does is let the model compile without error.

You also have to remember that the GLM format breaks edges on UV boundaries further increasing the vertex count.

That's why I think the game crashes with it, since the model is using most of the game engine graphics to render the polys/verts of the character, plus you have 3000 verts for EACH saber so that's at least another 6000 verts on top of the model at the same time. I assumed this is why it crashes so easily.

That's totally the problem, while the game could theoretically load a 32k polygon model by doing the 1k vertex max count per object and 32 objects per model being the max that doesn't mean that it wont run without problems.

IMO a GOOD game artist should be able to make a saber for this game that is in the 500 vertex total range and look very high quality using the right textures and shaders.

I came across this problem of course with my AT-ST model but that walker is so big in scale that using anything less than an 8 sided cylinder on even small parts made it look very blocky that not even normal mapping could fix. I was able to fix the problem though by adding LOD's which I don't think the base AT-ST or any non character model uses but it can be done on ANY model but a saber is so small on screen that it shouldn't need that kind of geometric detail. You may take close up pictures to show it off during production but the average person whose in an intense online fight with a skilled player isn't going to be noticing that sort of detail on such a small part of the screen which without 16x AA isn't even going to be noticeable.

So, a saber with more of 1000 vertexes, also if splitted in more meshes, is a very bad idea? :(

It's not just bad performance wise it's just bad practice in general.

Making game art is all about doing things as efficiently as possible hence why displacement maps are used in place of super high polygon models.

Also like I said, a model that small in size on screen wont look amazing anyway without anti aliasing turned up to the max because of all the jagged edges you'll have.

Psyk0Sith and Asgarath83 like this

Those are for the Model of Starstrider, they are not of the saber :D WOW

The saber is coming from the STAR WARS Movie sabers pack! And for the saber .sab file is @ i did not do that

Edited by dark_apprentice