20 Brush duel map.

So after searching for more mapping inspiration, I came across an old map challenge posting for a 20 collide-able brush map (not including skies or things like triggers). Since all of my previous mapping designs have included far more then 20 structural brushes I decided to test and see if I could create a functioning map with 20 or less. While it's presently designed as a 1v1 duel map, it is large enough for up to a 2v2 match.

Simple geometric shapes were used in the design, focusing primarily on hexagons and octagons, it also features a few trapezoids to round out the ramps. There is a falling trigger set beneath the main portion, for those that decide to commit suicide  :P.

Over all design sits at 26 brushes (18 structural, 6 sky, and 2 trigger areas), and while not exactly what I'd initially envisioned, working within my self imposed limits forced me to think in perspective about form and function, and in this case I went with the "less is more" philosophy. I do hope you'll enjoy this and I will release it as soon as I figure how to get the duel spawning to work right. (devmapping the level with just duel spawns gives me a "no spawnpoint in map" error lol.)

DUEL_20_zpswmbupjam.jpg

DUEL_20a_zpslhsn34uo.jpg

z3filus, Boothand, Syko and 6 others like this

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

That looks great :D Someone should definitely start up another 20 brush map challenge :) It's something that people can do pretty quickly which is ideal for most here, or you can spend a bit longer exploring different ideas if you really wanted to!

So after searching for more mapping inspiration, I came across an old map challenge posting for a 20 collide-able brush map (not including skies or things like triggers). Since all of my previous mapping designs have included far more then 20 structural brushes I decided to test and see if I could create a functioning map with 20 or less. While it's presently designed as a 1v1 duel map, it is large enough for up to a 2v2 match.

Simple geometric shapes were used in the design, focusing primarily on hexagons and octagons, it also features a few trapezoids to round out the ramps. There is a falling trigger set beneath the main portion, for those that decide to commit suicide  :P.

Over all design sits at 26 brushes (18 structural, 6 sky, and 2 trigger areas), and while not exactly what I'd initially envisioned, working within my self imposed limits forced me to think in perspective about form and function, and in this case I went with the "less is more" philosophy. I do hope you'll enjoy this and I will release it as soon as I figure how to get the duel spawning to work right. (devmapping the level with just duel spawns gives me a "no spawnpoint in map" error lol.)

DUEL_20_zpswmbupjam.jpg

DUEL_20a_zpslhsn34uo.jpg

Saw that skybox, instantly thought:

HelicarrierConceptRender1-AvengersBTS.pn

I'm sure ramping the LMS could alter the shadows, but given the more blocky nature of the map itself, wouldn't the blocky shadows fit better?

that's exactly why I think these pixelated shadows don't look too great - they need to be higher in resolution as you got a vermy exact geometric layout and your entire map is made of exact shapes - and those low precision low res shadows just don't match that "mathematical theme"

If anyone can give me a tut on how to set up a duel map i'll gladly finalize and release.

All you need to do is place two info_player_duel on opposite sides of the map. For powerduel, include 2 info_player_duel2 and 1 info_player_duel1.

To ensure FFA compatability should someone choose to run the map that way, place info_player_deathmatch all over the place.

Finally a .arena file is needed to show properly in the menus, you can find these packaged with the default maps or use one from a downloaded duel map, as a basis for yours. They are fairly self explainatory.

All you need to do is place two info_player_duel on opposite sides of the map. For powerduel, include 2 info_player_duel2 and 1 info_player_duel1.

To ensure FFA compatability should someone choose to run the map that way, place info_player_deathmatch all over the place.

Finally a .arena file is needed to show properly in the menus, you can find these packaged with the default maps or use one from a downloaded duel map, as a basis for yours. They are fairly self explainatory.

See there is my issue. I normally test maps using the devmap command BEFORE packing. However when I run the level in devmap, with just info_player_duel, it gives me the "no spawnpoint on map error"

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

See there is my issue. I normally test maps using the devmap command BEFORE packing. However when I run the level in devmap, with just info_player_duel, it gives me the "no spawnpoint on map error"

That won't be an issue if you want duel mode only. But to allow devmapping to FFA mode (set other modes using g_gamemode) you should include info_player_deathmatch, as I mentioned already