Ye olde browser war

Lol it's not my fault if it crashes for you. Chrome can crash too.

What's up with this glorification of chrome anyway? It's minimalistic, yeah, made by google, yeah, it might be faster in some fields, so? Google is great, but did you know they pay for FireFox to stay in development? FF is pretty good being made from volunteers and donations, while google is one of the richest companies in the world.

As a developer, you'd want to see the CSS standard being followed, and firefox has a lot of good developer plugins, not only like firebug, but version control and so forth.

I don't mean to swear my life to FF, I use chrome too, when I need it.

Well Firefox runs way better on my stone-age PC so that's a plus for me.

A program that still runs pretty well on old machines is better than one which doesn't, imo.

Strange. Statistically, Chrome is less taxing on one's PC.

Well Firefox runs way better on my stone-age PC so that's a plus for me.

A program that still runs pretty well on old machines is better than one which doesn't, imo.

But ones that don't encourage people to upgrade.

The stone age was a long time ago. People need to stop communicating on stone tablets. :/

MUG likes this

I'm guessing chrome has so many fanboys because of incognito mode.

guys.. just learn how to delete history :P

Firefox -> Tools -> Start Private Browsing? O_o

Though I've always preferred to set my browsers to remember absolutely zilch from history to form data and logins. I keep my regulars on my bookmark toolbar. Saves some hassle clearing things out when you need to.

Note: I use Chrome.

Strange. Statistically, Chrome is less taxing on one's PC.

I tried both and Chrome kept freezing so much more. And don't get me started on Flash Player.

But ones that don't encourage people to upgrade.

The stone age was a long time ago. People need to stop communicating on stone tablets. :/

That's besides the point. Programs shouldn't be made to run only on high-end PCs.

Although last time I checked mine fits in the low-end phone category now, but still.

And the money google gives to mozilla to stay the main search engine is used on... candy? No, development, duh.

FireFox is good, chrome is good, opera, hmm, not so sure. (note: I've had lecture at my college hosted by the main tester of Opera, so I've heard what it can do)

FireFox crashes for some, chrome crashes for some.

Some people don't like plugins, some do.

Some programs are created by google, who has trillions of dollars and focuses extremely on performance and can access the best minds in the field, some companies don't have that money, and are created by the community.

benchmarks are always taken with a grain of salt, numbers and figures don't speak much. It's what the user experiences which matters, and that's why everyone has their own taste, but firefox isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

There are a billion reasons to go against google, due to their increasing surveilance and dominion on the net, but not worth mentioning.

so call me maybe

YOLO

Yeah, Flash does that across browsers afaik, even on higher end machines. Have you tried turning off graphics acceleration on Chrome in chrome://flags? That might be worth pursueing at least. Other than that, well, yeah, your machine is a low-end phone. D:

FireFox and flash can be a pain, that I know. But it also depends a lot on the individual flash player.

Though flash has been riddled with serious glitches for years now, it's interesting to see how HTML will take its place, but adobe will probably won't let it go without a fight. W3C needs to speed the H up with the new standard, they are amazingly slow.

Caelum likes this
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All I have to say is, if you're a web developer, FOR THE LOVE OF FSM make sure you test it in the top browsers.

Chrome is a bad culprit when it comes to standards compliance in rendering webpages - its rendering engine is very lax when it comes to sloppy HTML and CSS, and some stuff that might look great in Chrome can look plain broken in every other browser (as it should).

When I say top browsers, this means Opera as well!

All I have to say is, if you're a web developer, FOR THE LOVE OF FSM make sure you test it in the top browsers.

Chrome is a bad culprit when it comes to standards compliance in rendering webpages - its rendering engine is very lax when it comes to sloppy HTML and CSS, and some stuff that might look great in Chrome can look plain broken in every other browser (as it should).

When I say top browsers, this means Opera as well!

As a web developer i find that chrome is one of the few browsers that actually display's things correctly. It is easy to blame the browser but 9 times out of 10 it is sloppy coding that causes the problems. Unless its Internet Explorer, then 9 times out of 10 it is the browser!

Akimoto likes this