A question about underwater blue effect

Go to solution Solved by Didz,

I have a question about one thing. When i am in the water the screen is full blue to fade the sight underwater. But i wanted to make screenshots so i typed in the console cg_draw2d 0 to make hud disapear. But the underwater effect disapearesd too.

So from observation i think this is a shader or texture. Where it is? Because this blue effect look unrealistic - want to change it a bit :P

Hardcoded, it does not use .shader files. As an alternative, you can type in the console cg_draw, click [TAB] key and see all the cvars that you can toggle with 0 value to hide most on-screen elements.

P.S.: jaMME and OpenJK fix very opaque underwater video effect, btw.

Langerd likes this
  • Solution

The blue overlay gets drawn in the code while its drawing all the other 2D stuff. All it is is a rectangle stretched to cover the screen, tinted with a blue colour and some transparency. The colour/transparency is hard-coded in the client code.

Langerd likes this

Yeah... it almost feels to me that it's ported directly from Mysteries of the Sith. The slight FOV changes that simulate the underwater effect, the color...

Would have been awesome if any type of water could have its own underwater effect code in the shader file.

JO actually had some different underwater effects, yavin based SP maps had green underwater for some areas for example.  Might of just been some code they took out or probably something they had setup that could be read in the shader information for what texture to utilize for underwater effects.

JA they might of felt it was a waste of effort less perhaps it's still left in game just not used at all.

JO actually had some different underwater effects, yavin based SP maps had green underwater for some areas for example.  Might of just been some code they took out or probably something they had setup that could be read in the shader information for what texture to utilize for underwater effects.

JA they might of felt it was a waste of effort less perhaps it's still left in game just not used at all.

JO has no underwater effects at all.

The screen effects were added explicitly to JA, and poorly.  What you are asking is simply not possible.  The only information you get is the contents flag.

For a swamp map i maked years ago i changed the muddy water shader and the water got a brown fog when player swim inside. :)

This has absolutely nothing to do with the 2d screen effect.  This is simply you putting fog in the water shader, or separate fog brush in the water.