[Request] Nar Shaddaa Map

Nar Shaddaa, like it was performed in KotOR 2, can became great FFA map for Jedi Academy, it will be have many uses, if it will be done appropriate.  For simple playing it already has all you need. For RP players need add some things.

So my suggestions are:

1) The crowd - md3 models of civilians, aliens and personal standing on streets, shops, sitting in cantina, and so on and on...without them atmosphere of Nar Shaddaa will be lost. NPC not an option i guess, cause as I heard they causing some problems with loading the map.

2) Swoop racing track under main area. That the track seemed long need to do more turns on it.

3) More neon signs  and better skybox

4) City infrastructure objects (all marked on map):
1 – Docks Administration\registration (Spawn spots)
2 – Motel (Spawn spots)

3 – Security force/Police Dep - Why not? It’s Nar Shaddaa with criminals from all over the galaxy xD So hear may be some cages\cells and few cameras showing docks and main area. (Place for moderators)
4 – Swoop Racing registration point and watchers room where should be a little bar and elevator, that leads to Swoop track
5 – Droid shop
6 – Ammunition shop

7 – Medical center

8 – Duel arena

9 – Cantina

HdHaBTn.jpg

Bek and McGroose like this

I always thought that the Nar Shaddaa from JK2 was such a downgrade in quality compared to its Kotor II counterpart. Than again, Kotor II's atmosphere, story and NPCs gave the level a feel that JK2 just couldn't replicate with what it to work with.

Anyway, I noticed that the screenshot you're showing us shows about half of Kotor II's content on Nar Shaddaa. Did you intend to include places like the Jekk'jekk tarr and the Refugee Sector?

Yeah I wasn't a fan of that level in KotOR II, I much prefer the one in Jedi Outcast.

In Jedi Outcast.Nar Shaddaa looks like a bunch of boxes to me. Atmosphere of big city was lost there. Kotor 2 map has it. With Jedy Academy mapping technology it could became perfect i think. Catch that atmosphere - that the point of my request.

Bek likes this

I always thought that the Nar Shaddaa from JK2 was such a downgrade in quality compared to its Kotor II counterpart. Than again, Kotor II's atmosphere, story and NPCs gave the level a feel that JK2 just couldn't replicate with what it to work with.

Anyway, I noticed that the screenshot you're showing us shows about half of Kotor II's content on Nar Shaddaa. Did you intend to include places like the Jekk'jekk tarr and the Refugee Sector?

Refugee Sector is too big and i think it may cause problems for the maker. Besides layout there little useless in JK playing. Jekk'jekk tarr useless too, cause we alredy have one big cantina. But this is only my opinion maker is the one who will decide to do them or not

Anyway I doubt that someone will do this request. Just too much work.

There's a fair few mappers on here, but I've yet to see most of them take up requests whether it's to map a level for DF2 Mod or to fill a request such as this. Quite disappointing indeed.

I myself am quite busy with DF2 Mod, and I'm still trying to nail Nar Shaddaa's "feel" while keeping to the design in DF2 game.

the_raven and Darth Reborn like this

Don't give up hope, there's always hope, somebody might come across this and try to work it, heck someone might be working on it right now.

When i just came here i made request about custom sith models...it was good and logical enough. Now i even can't find it хD So i lost hope long ago. But i starting to think that im asking too much...maybe.

Bek likes this
  • 4 months later...

For me Nar Shaddaa of the time of the Galactic Empire is actually that, which is seen in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. The video wasn't that good to see all the details, but I really liked the feel, that there the city had a mix of garbage-Bespin and Imperial style. The plot suggested, that the Galaxy had just got rid of the Imperial grip and can now do whatever it wants (the many graffitis on Nar Shaddaa suggested, nothing could truly change such a place of scum and villainy).

The first appearance of NS in games was Dark Forces II, though I can't truly remember the design from there. And some would say, there is not much to remember. 

Jedi Outcast seemed to be quite close to the styles of its time - most cities are like this. I also think, both limitations of the game and the desire to make Nar Shaddaa stand up to its own design, are the reasons why we see so many square elements. I must say, that the vertical city isn't supposed to be beautiful or well organized. So the architecture is quite crude.

Later on the planet re-appeared in The Force Unleashed, and it is too bad the developers never truly showed us what it looked like before Battle of Yavin IV. At least on PC.

Seeing this planet in KOTOR 2 was a surprise to me. First of all one of the video games magazines suggested, that the screens with skyscrapers was Coruscant, rather than the criminal moon. Secondly, I never expected this city to be that old! Just think - the whole construction stands for 5 thousand years and is older than some settlements on Tatooine as well as older than the whole Naboo civilization (cities of which looked older than most structures in Star Wars movies, except for Yavin and Jabba's Palace).

SWTOR showed a glamorous Nar Shaddaa, which wasn't that different from Coruscant of the same game. I think a general layout of the level can be from KOTOR 2, but the style must be a mix of DF2, Jedi Outcast and a bit from other sources. Neon signs are a must.

McGroose, Bek and Darth Reborn like this

For me Nar Shaddaa of the time of the Galactic Empire is actually that, which is seen in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. The video wasn't that good to see all the details, but I really liked the feel, that there the city had a mix of garbage-Bespin and Imperial style. The plot suggested, that the Galaxy had just got rid of the Imperial grip and can now do whatever it wants (the many graffitis on Nar Shaddaa suggested, nothing could truly change such a place of scum and villainy).

The first appearance of NS in games was Dark Forces II, though I can't truly remember the design from there. And some would say, there is not much to remember. 

Jedi Outcast seemed to be quite close to the styles of its time - most cities are like this. I also think, both limitations of the game and the desire to make Nar Shaddaa stand up to its own design, are the reasons why we see so many square elements. I must say, that the vertical city isn't supposed to be beautiful or well organized. So the architecture is quite crude.

Later on the planet re-appeared in The Force Unleashed, and it is too bad the developers never truly showed us what it looked like before Battle of Yavin IV. At least on PC.

Seeing this planet in KOTOR 2 was a surprise to me. First of all one of the video games magazines suggested, that the screens with skyscrapers was Coruscant, rather than the criminal moon. Secondly, I never expected this city to be that old! Just think - the whole construction stands for 5 thousand years and is older than some settlements on Tatooine as well as older than the whole Naboo civilization (cities of which looked older than most structures in Star Wars movies, except for Yavin and Jabba's Palace).

SWTOR showed a glamorous Nar Shaddaa, which wasn't that different from Coruscant of the same game. I think a general layout of the level can be from KOTOR 2, but the style must be a mix of DF2, Jedi Outcast and a bit from other sources. Neon signs are a must.

Some of the concept art from Star Wars 1313 would be neat to add in as well. It could even be cleaned up and less gritty if need be. I bet scenes from Blade Runner would be good ideas to borrow from.

@IrocJeff

A few months ago I bought an album with concept art from the 1313 cancelled project. I might have mentioned or you might have seen yourself the concepts, showing not just the slums of Coruscant, but also the luxury penthouses above the Coruscanti cityline with swimming pools, Felucian exotic plants and svelte females lying in the sun.

But I would agree that some ideas could be used for Nar Shaddaa, though I am usually against mixing the styles of the cities, so that each of them stayed recognizable. 

Some ideas from 1313 found life in the latest episodes of the Clone Wars show.

I once started of with an interpretation of the  huttball map (GIRADA THE HUTT, WELCOMES YOU TO THE PIT!), which at the time was a fun project, but its a pain in the ass, because CTF requires 2 flags, and not a neutral flag to capture, and source code modding isn't my favorite point.

To come back to Nar Shaddaa, it made me think of the stuff we started making of the interlude in the project of Jedi Betrayal. There is an outline for a bar Kyle would go to for information (we had the concept well thought out, but sadly there are only prefabs which you might be able to use for outside i think). I keep myself from the project, since Nar's isn't really my cup of coffee.

:ph34r: I assume you're referring to yourself.

I did star working on a Nar Shadda map a couple months ago, but since my mapping experience was lacking I decided to put that on hold for some time untill I can create some simpler and better maps. Still, Nar Shadda has always been one of my favorite EU locations, so I hope to be able to make a nice map in the near future. 

Bek likes this