Request for a Compiling tutorial

Hey, guys. Sorry if I'm asking too much, but...

As of lately, I've been rather ambitious with what models I want to see in JKA and I decided I wanted to take up compiling model parts for myself. So, is there anyone here experienced in compiling who could make a new tutorial specifically for how to compile? Clearing up how to import the models, weigh it on the JKA skeleton--as well as how to do it right and without any problems--would be nice as well.

I tried to follow Boothand's modeling tutorial (DarthDementous learned how to compile from it and so he directed me to it) but it's not working so well for me. It's hard to find the specification of what I'm trying to do and the necessary programs aren't really working.

Thx for reading,

Intone

Like, say I want to merge different model parts together into one. I'm gonna have to learn exactly how to import them into 3DS max, keep them connected, and then export them whole.

Also, thx for linking that page

I would use Psyk0's rigged JA skeleton project file, and use a GLM importer to import the different models you need.

Google the basics of 3DS Max to find out how to detach polygons and move around objects where you need them (unless you're familar with 3DS Max already).

• Attach the body parts and make it into one single object.
  • Line it up with the skeleton (and never edit the skeleton).
  • Reset X-form and google how to weight your model to the skeleton.
  • Detach the body parts while keeping the weight information (explained in my tut) and name them.
  • Either use the auto-hierarchy linker, or check some of the other tutorials (like Tim Appleby's) for the recipe on linking the hierarchy.
  • Then finally export it with an exporter for the .XSI format, and follow any of the tutorials on this site that explain what comes after.

That's a summary, but the tutorials on this site will mostly cover the Jedi Knight-specifics, rather than the basic training for the softwares itself. That's probably the best place to start!

Lamented likes this

I would recommend you use the Max8 skeleton I uploaded in the utilities section (turn off the layers for the bones you don't need-- whether JK2 or JK3 game).

...and when you import a GLM mesh you will need to rescale it to fit the skeleton... because in game they are 64%.

So you need to apply a scaling factor of exactly 1.5625.