Tutorial suggestions

14 members have voted

1. 1. What should be created in this tutorial ?

• A Gun
    • A Hilt
    • A Map Object

I was thinking of maybe starting a short tutorial series that will cover some

basics of modeling ,UV mapping , texturing and shader basics for models (and getting the simple model ingame)

I wont cover creating character model and getting tha tingame for now , but that might follow some time later, I was rather thinking of

either creating a weapon model(gun or hilt ?) or a map object the question is what would you guys prefer ?

then feel free to suggest soemthing that should be created during this tutorial

it must not be too complex so that beginners can follow my steps , and it should not be too dull as I want to cover quite a bit when it comes to textures and shaders

I plan to include atleast 2 different materials when it comes to texturing and I'd like to have some glowy peices at the model , as people keep aksing how to make shit glow for their skins

I thought of splitting the whole process up like this :

1. Creating the model

1b. UVW Unwrapping/mapping

1c. preparing the model for the game

2.basic texturing (quick & dirty)

2a. Advanced texturing (more work , but will turn out better in the end)

2b. Creating textures for shader stages(will build up from the advanced tutorial)

3.Shader creation (can be skipped if you chose to only follow the first part of the texturing tutorials)

4.getting the model ingame & working

additional stuff depends on what will be created during this series

I never bothered with a modeling tutorial because there are billions of them all over the net for every software. Instead I focused on getting a completed model or animation in game.

No one will really learn much on a specific model tutorial, it's like the people who went to school for 3d art, they come out only knowing how to model the same things they made for class projects. It really takes more than that, a good understanding of the software is the best tutorial. I know the software way beyond what's needed to make a game model but it helps me in so many ways that only knowing the simple tools needed to make a simple model ever could.

Room mate situation atm has kept me from finishing the character compiling tutorial video series also but hopefully that will soon change.

eezstreet likes this
  • 3 weeks later...

That's actually pretty nice ! @@Almightygir I really like the final product I was also pretty blown away by your Balrog , do oyu have any other WIP pics of that (aside of the 2 clips on your youtube channel and the finished shot on your folio)

I really hope I get more freetime  soon so I can get back to work at my projects

That's actually pretty nice ! @@Almightygir I really like the final product I was also pretty blown away by your Balrog , do oyu have any other WIP pics of that (aside of the 2 clips on your youtube channel and the finished shot on your folio)

I really hope I get more freetime  soon so I can get back to work at my projects

No, sorry man no other wip shots, i think there's a really early wip of a walk cycle for him, but that's it. He's part of an ongoing long term collaborative project which has kind of stagnated of late. we wanted to recreate a chapter, or a snippet from the Silmarillion, and do Glorfindel and the Balrog.