Serenity Jedi Engine

Why does it seem like the swings have been slowed down quite a bit? I couldn't stand that about MB2.

I have to ask you, Are you asking as a player and it seems slow or just from watching the videos?

Some of the swings are slower yes . And some of them are faster.

why?

When me and stoiss started building the sabersystem about 3 years ago we tested  and tested every aspect we could think of over and over again and together we discussed and changed the system accordingly .The typical moves that everybody just spamms and spamms ,the moves that people could call "overpowered" are now less effective or slower. 

There are also certain moves that just could not be manually blocked because they were too fast and quicker than the human eye and thought process.

some of the moves were just too slow and pathetic  ,these moves were beefed up altered and worked on.

The thing about JKA sabersystem is that everybody plays in a different way, everybody has there own ideas of what is good ,what is bad and how it should be.And every player thinks they are the best master at it.

This is simply my and stoiss interpretation of what we wanted it to be like.

"I have to also give credit to stoiss as he has played a major part in building the system ,his ideas and input were invaluable"

We strived to make the system more manageable and we took a lot of inspiration from the movies.

many people wont like what we have done because it does take time to master and if you don't know what your doing it will seem random and you'll get frustrated and die very quickly.

The sabersystem assumes that you already have a good working knowledge of the base system and it just builds on that.

Your moves will become slower as you become fatigued or severely injured.Good blocking or killing an opponent will  "top up" your FP as a reward.and as a result your moves become faster again.

@@Boothand basically the only similarities:

- attacks drain FP

- blocks are directional (I don't understand how SJE's blocking works, haven't had a chance to play it)

- there's attack feints (different combination of keys used to activate it)

- attack feints cost FP (cost calculation is different)

major differences I can spot:

- Projectile blocking looks different (JKG is more timing based)

- JKG doesn't have knockback

- In JKG, attacks get slower with less FP you have, based on an exponential scale with diminishing returns

- Resources in SJE are completely different from JKG

- Almost all attacks via saber in JKG are one-hit kills (only very rarely do you survive a hit)

- Furthermore, hits in JKG don't bounce off like they do in SJE (though it's a good idea on SJE's part, frankly)

- Knockaways are mega rare in JKG

Omicron and Boothand like this

I based the saber stuff off of numerous playtests with other people, and what we mutually decided "felt right" in terms of game play. Ultimately it produced a system which was easy to pick up, but difficult to truly master, and battles which are as slow or fast as the players dictate, not dictated by any timers (like in MB2).

I believe we got a random person to play it, and he was able to understand it in three or so battles, no explanation required.

I'd like to get JK2:HD done at some point. It'll contain my saber system. Buuut other stuff in the way.

Omicron likes this

I based the saber stuff off of numerous playtests with other people, and what we mutually decided "felt right" in terms of game play. Ultimately it produced a system which was easy to pick up, but difficult to truly master, and battles which are as slow or fast as the players dictate, not dictated by any timers (like in MB2).

I believe we got a random person to play it, and he was able to understand it in three or so battles, no explanation required.

I'd like to get JK2:HD done at some point. It'll contain my saber system. Buuut other stuff in the way.

Very cool. Once again, I'd really love to try it out. Been trying to sneak onto JKG's IRC a few times, in case of a chance  ;). Might do that again, once in a while.

/me is still waiting patiently for a source release

@@Boothand basically the only similarities:

- attacks drain FP

- blocks are directional (I don't understand how SJE's blocking works, haven't had a chance to play it)

- there's attack feints (different combination of keys used to activate it)

- attack feints cost FP (cost calculation is different)

major differences I can spot:

- Projectile blocking looks different (JKG is more timing based)

- JKG doesn't have knockback

- In JKG, attacks get slower with less FP you have, based on an exponential scale with diminishing returns

- Resources in SJE are completely different from JKG

- Almost all attacks via saber in JKG are one-hit kills (only very rarely do you survive a hit)

- Furthermore, hits in JKG don't bounce off like they do in SJE (though it's a good idea on SJE's part, frankly)

- Knockaways are mega rare in JKG

If your looking for some code for MP ? Speak to stoiss , he has his own EoC source from when we worked together ,he  has the same MP source that i have.

My SP source is almost exactly the same as MP just changed to make it work in sp.

I dont know how much contact you have with him but maybe if you ask him he will give you some code? I dont know if he will give you his source from the old EoC MP ,I cant speak for him but im not uploading my sp source for at least 2 more weeks when its finished and implemented in EoC it just cost too much money to keep updating on line my internet is "pay as you go" and every MB cost me money.

Dont think there,s anything in my sp source you couldnt do yourself (probably better). Plus you can get 75% of it from OJP 1.2 as that is the source me and stoiss started with.

Your JKG sabersystem looks interesting. Ive also built  a personal JK2 source sabersystem with the same stuff as SJE . for personal use. I would be willing to upload that code for you as it is much smaller? Pm me if you want the JK2 source with manual blocking .

Im doing ledge grab next and then im finished

hmm, idk about the cheats only with beating the sp scenario, that might cause some issues, lol. cause some like to have cheats enabled for video recording.

clans like JAWA like to get fairly fancy sometimes with their videos, and some of the camera effects they use might reuire in game cheats active, lol

Omicron likes this

I was wondering what happened to your JK2:HD mod, was going to ask you on IRC sometime :P

Further development tester

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u375ia2zp05plqb/Serenity+Jedi+Engine+V0.8.rar

Added location based damage dismemberment for weapons (Guns that fire projectiles only).

You now have to press the use key to pick anything up ,.no longer walking on a weapon/item picks it up.

Some animation fixes for models that dont use the standard _humanoid ie rancor,wampa rockettrooper etc

started work on ledge grab (not finished)

Bek, hleV, crazyxpsycho and 2 others like this
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where did you get that model from for the repeater?

Pulled it out of mb2 Just for testing.

Dont worry Im not going to release it with SJE  :rolleyes: . I just needed a model with a spinning barrel for testing, Thats why im asking if anyone can make one or maybe someone knows where i could download a replacement ?

I cant make models or maps,this is why my mod doesn't have any models or maps,I can get my head round pretty much everything else.

Pulled it out of mb2 Just for testing.

Dont worry Im not going to release it with SJE  :rolleyes: . I just needed a model with a spinning barrel for testing, Thats why im asking if anyone can make one or maybe someone knows where i could download a replacement ?

I cant make models or maps,this is why my mod doesn't have any models or maps,I can get my head round pretty much everything else.

Could you send me that model in a pm?

Sorry, but i dont think thats my choice to make as its part of mb2 mod.

however ,you can find it in MBAssets2  / models / weapons2 /  z6_rotary

the shader for it is in MBAssets  / shaders/ weapons /  z6_rotary

:winkthumb:

Ok, thanks!

Hey, awesome mod! I love it! I installed your engine and Movie Duels 2 and your combat system worked in movie duels 2. The problem though is that without godmode enabled I die during the cutscenes. I just thought I would share. As far as I can tell everything else works fine. A few weird animations in the cutscenes as well, but gameplay is flawless.

Hey, awesome mod! I love it! I installed your engine and Movie Duels 2 and your combat system worked in movie duels 2. The problem though is that without godmode enabled I die during the cutscenes. I just thought I would share. As far as I can tell everything else works fine. A few weird animations in the cutscenes as well, but gameplay is flawless.

Thanks mate.

Some animation errors may occur when playing mods with "personal animations". Thats basically any mod that has an individual humanoid folder.

If you want to know the NEW SECRET CHEAT CODE you have to play the jedi outcast part from the start to complete end on jedi master difficulty level without cheating and if you are successful you will be given the cheatcode....This will allow you to play mods in godmode if you want.

If you want to keep up to date with your build .here is the latest build , now with multiplayer support also.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o94x2p8d63c7xqb/Serenity+Jedi+Engine+V0.9.rar

:winkthumb: