What's legal?

The porting thread, which I skimmed through a bit, got me thinking. I have about 120+ new textures in my project. Some are from free sites that allow the free use of them, which I posted in another thread. I do, however, have A LOT of stuff I just took from Google Images. Stuff like my Coke Machine front, signs that I modified with the Basic font, and I do have many images from computer screens and terminals for various screens throughout the level. 

Now, I did not contact each person who took the image that I modified or used directly. None of those images were watermarked or anything but from what I remember whoever took the photo is the copyright holder of that photo. So, if I choose to upload my project here when it is done is this going to cause issues with this site and its hosting policies?

If the owner of the images makes a dispute and provides evidence of something being their property, then JKHub will take action to remove it. Otherwise you are free to submit files according to our file submission rules.

You don't want your files used on the internet or redistributed? Keep your  finger off the upload button then. :-)

That's like saying "don't want illegal copies of your game/book/movie? Don't publish it!" It may be true, but that doesn't make those unauthorized copies any less illegal.

I find this slightly hypocritical. :)

For example, if you uploaded an image that belongs to someone else, JKHub would not know of this and wouldn't take action. We can't verify every file that is submitted to us and would only act if the file had obvious illegally ported content or if the original owner of that content contacted us and made a case that some/all of the files in the mod are his. We do check files to see if they contain anything against our rules, but there's always a chance that something will slip through, especially content that isn't the authors.

TheWhitePhoenix and RAILBACK like this