ROFF Importer???

ROFF Importer for 3ds Max...  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Is there any value to creating a 3ds Max .ROF importer?

• Yes
    • No

• 4 weeks later...

I'd really love to learn more about ROFFs and use them to create unique camera paths and pseudo-physics for my cutscenes, but 3DS Max is out of my price range, so I hope we get some tuts about more affordable options soon!

You can get the "student" version for free. I got it, along with the rest of Autodesk's apps. They aren't trial versions as far as I know. Could be wrong.

therfiles likes this

I'd really love to learn more about ROFFs and use them to create unique camera paths and pseudo-physics for my cutscenes, but 3DS Max is out of my price range, so I hope we get some tuts about more affordable options soon!

You can create ROFF files using Mr. Wonko's tools in Blender. However his scripts don't support playing sounds or efx yet... (maybe he will add those features soon). Hey, and Blender is free! ;)

Or like @@Circa said... download the 3dsMax educational version. Which is a 3 year license-- no limitations.

therfiles likes this

I dont know I remember I tried to create an account in Autodesk to get educational version of 3dsMax. but I stopped somewhere where I should name my school,or university, some URLs and staff like that...

So now I use Gmax (for md3's) and XSI mod tools (for gla/glm's)

*Sigh* I would be glad if anyone could make normal md3 exporter for Gmax...

Btw, I'm curious, is it possible to make your roff exporter script to work in Gmax or it would involve some total remake of your script?

I dont know I remember I tried to create an account in Autodesk to get educational version of 3dsMax. but I stopped somewhere where I should name my school,or university, some URLs and staff like that...

So now I use Gmax (for md3's) and XSI mod tools (for gla/glm's)

*Sigh* I would be glad if anyone could make normal md3 exporter for Gmax...

Btw, I'm curious, is it possible to make your roff exporter script to work in Gmax or it would involve some total remake of your script?

No... it's not possible to make plugins for GMAX because Autodesk never released SDK for it (you had to pay a handsome sum to get it).

You can however, make MAXSCRIPT-based tools for GMAX.

I don't think it does that anymore. I don't think I had to tell them my college. If I did, it didn't ask me for proof, so you really could just name any university.

You can create ROFF files using Mr. Wonko's tools in Blender. However his scripts don't support playing sounds or efx yet... (maybe he will add those features soon). Hey, and Blender is free! ;)

Or like @@Circa said... download the 3dsMax educational version. Which is a 3 year license-- no limitations.

Oh sweet!

A tutorial on ROFFs would be excellent! It's one of those areas that doesn't get much attention.

Oh sweet!

A tutorial on ROFFs would be excellent! It's one of those areas that doesn't get much attention.

I posted an old, but good, ROFF tutorial in my WIP thread on making the ROFF2 Exporter in Coding and Scripting section... feel free to pull it out, expound on it, and add it to the tutorials section.  @SzicoVII is suppose to be making a test map to help me beta test my new ROFF2 exporter to check that everything works (especially sounds/EFX).

therfiles likes this

Hm...I didn't even know these existed!

Yup. There's a variety of tools that were used at Raven HQ that have never seen the light of day. FontGen (generates .fontdat) and StripED/StringED (makes .sp/.str files) are also mentioned, and I've read a thing or two about a tool called ShaderTree. That's about the extent of what I know.

therfiles likes this

It would be awesome if some of those tools could be talked into being released.

Like I said, they never saw the light of day (as in, they're referenced, in some cases literally everywhere but nonexisting anymore). The only one that I know for sure has to exist is fontgen.

Ok. So I took a look at the SOF2 SDK, and found some interesting tools...

• ROFF Tutoiral - Ok, while this isn't really a tool, it is a step-by-step guide on using ROFFs in 3DS Max
  • ConfusED - This appears to be an entity editor. Here the summary from the documentation: "

ConfusEd is the editor tool that allows you to create and edit the properties of almost every entity in the SOF2 single player game. The entities created with this tool are, oddly enough, referred to as “ConfusEd entities”. Examples of ConfusEd entities are office chairs, bottles, photocopiers, and toilets."

• UI Documentation - Again, not a tool, but an interesting tid bit. @@eezstreet, do you know if the following applies in JKA? "ui_precache – if this cvar is set to 1, all the menu and HUD files are loaded once on game start up and never freed. While developing menus and HUDs, set this to 0 so that any changes made will be reflected without having to quit the game. tip_millisecPerChar, tip_millisecPerLine and tip_millisecMin can be used to tweak the duration of the tooltips that appear on screen."

• ShaderED2

• StripED - String editor. However, it only seems to open ".sp" and ".spe" files so it may be outdated for us to use...

• AnimatED and SklView - ??? Model animation?

Archangel35757 likes this