Ice Station Wampa

Just started the first room in the final map this evening. Have been looking at tons of brewery images of all sorts and found some neat areas to make. I'm assuming this would be some sort of aging room. I found a neat free use barrel texture and with some cylinders ended up making a barrel. So, that's how this room came about.

I think I'm going to try and incorporate some of the brewing process areas into this level as well. I know for sure I'm going to have conveyor belts with cases of beer. If its possible to have models move in game I'd love to do a bottling line area. If they can, and anyone wants to help out, I could use a beer bottle. Or, a re-skin of the wine bottle from Nar Shaddaa. Circa made me a texture that would go perfect on a beer bottle.

shot0124_zps8ef8a707.jpg

shot0128_zpsd7152f3b.jpg

Boothand likes this

I made a beer-bottle for you, if you want to use it. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/beerbottle.ASE

Texture here.

Still left some texturing work for you, but you can re-texture it any way you like. UV template here.

I also left an alpha channel with some selections for you to play around with, if you want to make the bottle transparent.

beerbottle.jpg

Open the .ase and change the paths and names under "bottlematerial" to match the location of your final texture :)

Redid this a bit with the new texture. 

shot0120_zps861025c5.jpg

shot0123_zps9be03302.jpg

Room looks so more awesome now.  My only concern is that the lights are obnoxiously big and more suited to stadium lights, rather than the cool small 'modern' looking lights.  Almost like you have two conflicting styles clashing, one part modern one part traditional clunky starwars technology.

JKG Developer

Room looks so more awesome now.  My only concern is that the lights are obnoxiously big and more suited to stadium lights, rather than the cool small 'modern' looking lights.  Almost like you have two conflicting styles clashing, one part modern one part traditional clunky starwars technology.

See, and if I made those lights smaller someone would chime in and say they are too small. I can't win. :P I'll make them a bit smaller. I wanted them round but you know how Radiant can't make round, small cylinders. Everything gets all square a stuff when small. I'll figure something out. Maybe I can use bevels to make smaller cylinders. 

I know I'm not happy with the platform textures but I really don't have much of anything else to choose from. I'll try and re-do that part. This room looks too white throughout the cutscene without some color. The platforms, crates, speakers, and lights break it up a bit. Maybe I'll remove that one platform by the viewing window and put in a caution taped lined walkway to a computer or something.

This looks so good man, keep it up! I love that off-white room. Looks much better that way.

Glad you like it. Hopefully I won't get a cease and desist order from Valve's lawyers for stealing so much from them, design-wise that is.  :lol:

See, and if I made those lights smaller someone would chime in and say they are too small. I can't win. :P I'll make them a bit smaller. I wanted them round but you know how Radiant can't make round, small cylinders. Everything gets all square a stuff when small. I'll figure something out. Maybe I can use bevels to make smaller cylinders. 

I know I'm not happy with the platform textures but I really don't have much of anything else to choose from. I'll try and re-do that part. This room looks too white throughout the cutscene without some color. The platforms, crates, speakers, and lights break it up a bit. Maybe I'll remove that one platform by the viewing window and put in a caution taped lined walkway to a computer or something.

Maybe use some models for the lights?

JKG Developer

I made a beer-bottle for you, if you want to use it. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/beerbottle.ASE

Texture here.

Still left some texturing work for you, but you can re-texture it any way you like. UV template here.

I also left an alpha channel with some selections for you to play around with, if you want to make the bottle transparent.

beerbottle.jpg

Open the .ase and change the paths and names under "bottlematerial" to match the location of your final texture :)

Thanks for this. I will absolutely use it. However, i'm a bit confused with the .ASE model thingy. I downloaded all the files but the model files is all text and stuff. Is that normal? Also, will ASE models work in Jedi Outcast? I never messed with ASE models nor have a clue what they are so if you could fill me in that'd be great.

I have a feeling this will be a very fun map to play.

Yeah, it'll be a hoot. Its got a good story, its a bit interactive for the player, all npc's are scripted and have better aim , and there are no Jedi's, no music, limited power ups, limited weapons, limited ammo count. 

I made it, know where the enemies are, and I still have fun playing it.

Thanks for this. I will absolutely use it. However, i'm a bit confused with the .ASE model thingy. I downloaded all the files but the model files is all text and stuff. Is that normal? Also, will ASE models work in Jedi Outcast? I never messed with ASE models nor have a clue what they are so if you could fill me in that'd be great.

I'm quite sure it works with JK2 as well. It's supposed to be all text, yep! You can select the .ase model from the misc_model selection in GtkRadiant. Check this tutorial (you might not have to watch the video) for some more details on how to assign the texture, but you might figure it out without it.

The advantage is that you can put the texture wherever you want, instead of using the folder structure I exported with.

I like those lights.  :D

You planning on changing the lighting a bit though to make it match up?  Right now it looks like you've got some blobby light entities that are producing light from nowhere.

Yeah Yeah, they are fixed...  :rolleyes:

shot0132_zpseabf8f52.jpg

shot0133_zps639284d9.jpg

I'm quite sure it works with JK2 as well. It's supposed to be all text, yep! You can select the .ase model from the misc_model selection in GtkRadiant. Check this tutorial (you might not have to watch the video) for some more details on how to assign the texture, but you might figure it out without it.

The advantage is that you can put the texture wherever you want, instead of using the folder structure I exported with.

Well, its all pretty confusing. Its going to be a while before I figure this out. 

Applause-o.gif

What?  The stormtrooper is amazing at playing that keyboard.

Watch this clip below and take note of the scene at about 40 seconds. 

http://youtu.be/nBOxGFA7Oig

Basically, I ripped part of the plot from the movie Strange Brew. In it, Brewmesiter Smith (Max Von Sydow) has developed a mind control drug of sorts and is testing it on mental patients, IE, the hockey players. The different tones bring out a different reaction as seen in the clip. Brewmeister Smith is going to put this drug into the beer shipped to Octoberfest, thus starting his plan to take over the world. Now, in my story, there is an Imperial Commander who wants to take over the Empire. So, he is doing the same thing, only he's going after Empire Day, specifically, the celebration at the Emperor's Palace. 

So, just like in the movie, musical tones affect the reaction of the person under the drugs influence, hence a test chamber with a keyboard. 

Boothand likes this

Well, its all pretty confusing. Its going to be a while before I figure this out. 

Try this:

1. Place the .ase in the folder where you keep your mod's models.
  2. Put the texture in the same folder, or in some other folder where it makes sense for you to have it.
  3. Open the .ase file in notepad. Look in the material_list. Replace the value of MATERIAL_NAME with the path to the texture. This could be "models\map_objects\WampaOrSomething\bottlemap".
  4. Do the same thing with MAP_NAME.
  5. Finally, do the same thing with BITMAP, but instead of "models\map_obejcts\etc", you put two dots in front of it, like this: "..\models\map_obejcts\etc".
  6. Save, and place it in GtkRadiant like a normal model, and it will show up textured.

Resize the model with _modelscale and a normalized value.

Try this:

1. Place the .ase in the folder where you keep your mod's models.
  2. Put the texture in the same folder, or in some other folder where it makes sense for you to have it.
  3. Open the .ase file in notepad. Look in the material_list. Replace the value of MATERIAL_NAME with the path to the texture. This could be "models\map_objects\WampaOrSomething\bottlemap".
  4. Do the same thing with MAP_NAME.
  5. Finally, do the same thing with BITMAP, but instead of "models\map_obejcts\etc", you put two dots in front of it, like this: "..\models\map_obejcts\etc".
  6. Save, and place it in GtkRadiant like a normal model, and it will show up textured.

Resize the model with _modelscale and a normalized value.

ok, well this was way easier to figure out.. BUT. When I load the bottle its solid green. I don't have the cap or other stuff on it. 

ok, well this was way easier to figure out.. BUT. When I load the bottle its solid green. I don't have the cap or other stuff on it. 

I've seen such behavior before, but that was before I learned how to edit the paths correctly. I'll test it out, just to be sure, and PM you, so the thread can stay on course :)

Have been doing well on getting some more areas near finished. I modified the bump-floor texture from Nar Shaddaa I think by tiling it smaller and it made a neat treadmill-like texture. I turned this into a shader so I have a working conveyor belt in looks only so far. Trying to work my way from storage areas to the bottling line/filling line to the big vats and stuff in terms of room progression. Most of the storage is done less some detail, sound, and NPC's.  

shot0150_zpsa046984d.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the storage rooms off the barrel aging room. @Pande once again has another model he's given me in this shot with the wood pallets. I have I think 8 models he sent and I only have to use the beanbag chairs and the leather armchair and then I've gotten them all into the game. 

If you notice the beer cases I modified a Pabst Blue Ribbon case image and turned it into Palp's for Palpatine.  The red lettering in the lower left says " A Product of Imperial Brewery".  The upper right says 18 40oz bottles. I used the wine bottles from Nar Shaddaa models list as a reference. So, the Emperor like's 40's.. hehehe. 

shot0146_zps82f12c53.jpg

Here is an L shaped room off the room above. Here you can see the conveyor belt for large pallets on the left.  By the crosshair is a raised platform where you will open the hatches in each room the conveyor belt goes through as well as turn the belt on itself. You'll ride this to a certain point.

Boothand likes this

shot0166_zpsbaa0cffb.jpg

This is a substation or control room or something or other. The purple lit area is the conveyor belt running past the room. I made a corkboard thingy as well. Found some freebie online photo editor online and it took about 5 minutes to make. Those papers on there are actually some of my old college papers re-did with the Aural -Besh font and moved around a bit.

shot0162_zps635e7077.jpg

Found a blue, rusty wall texture in Imperial Mine's set that looked odd so I made a hallways out of it.

Boothand and Barricade24 like this
  • 2 weeks later...

Map 6 is going well. I have made the bottling line and the large beer vats with all pipes and whatnot going all over. The bottling line is going to be pretty cool. Glass blocks will go into one machine which will spit out bottles which will go into another machine that fills the bottles and labels them. Then, these bottles go around and finally enter yet another machine that spits out cases of beer which then follow their path out of the room. Took a bit longer to layout this part of the level than I thought it would. 

Still have to detail the machines and these rooms more, as well as texture them. 

Boothand likes this