Star Wars Rebels

Perhaps Ezra is the one Yoda was referring to (and not Leia) when he said to Obi-Wan, "...no, there is another."  Afterall, Obi-Wan knew of Leia and that she was adopted by Bail Organa.

Interesting point.

For over 30 years it's been almost a gospel truth that Yoda is talking about Leia. Certainly the force must be as strong with her as it is with her brother.

I'm hoping that sentence and it's meaning would be left as it is, by Disney, but they can pretty much do whatever they want to, with the franchise.

I understood that George Lucas acts as an advisor for Abrams and his team. Disney's main focus has always been cartoons, kids entertainment,

and even with the Pirate Of The Carribean franchise, they still found a way to " connect " it to kids, by toys and a special area built within Disneyland.

So... what I'm trying to say, is, creating a connection of any kind, between the Rebels and The StarWars- films is only good business for them.

If it's a blaster, where does the laser come out?

455.jpg

Edited by zeƒilus

Rebels break one idea, that was pretty much established for me in Episode VI - Yoda is indeed the last of the Jedi with Luke just a learner, but later a Jedi by the end of the Battle of Endor. No other alive Jedi. The phrase of Yoda - even if he were wrong - sounded very convincing, that the Jedi were all but destroyed by this time, and Luke would be the last of them.

However countless EU stories somehow ignored this aspect (no surprise). Dark Forces II showed Qu Rahn (died in 5 ABY, year after Yoda), later in the books we have Vergere, Dark Woman and others. Starkiller from TFU is also another violation. And now with Ezra - isn't it strange, that he would make probably a more skilled Jedi than the main character Luke by 0 ABY and even more by 3 ABY?

therfiles and Jeff like this

Rebels break one idea, that was pretty much established for me in Episode VI - Yoda is indeed the last of the Jedi with Luke just a learner, but later a Jedi by the end of the Battle of Endor. No other alive Jedi. The phrase of Yoda - even if he were wrong - sounded very convincing, that the Jedi were all but destroyed by this time, and Luke would be the last of them.

However countless EU stories somehow ignored this aspect (no surprise). Dark Forces II showed Qu Rahn (died in 5 ABY, year after Yoda), later in the books we have Vergere, Dark Woman and others. Starkiller from TFU is also another violation. And now with Ezra - isn't it strange, that he would make probably a more skilled Jedi than the main character Luke by 0 ABY and even more by 3 ABY?

Perhaps Ezra was biding his time undergoing further training-- after all.  He'd need to be a true Master to face Darth Vader and the Emperor.  Luke was truly a match for neither... only saved in the end by his father.  One reason I wished they added scenes with a double having Yoda properly instruct Luke in all the lightsaber forms while on Dagobah.

@@Archangel35757

I see the duels in Episodes IV-VI the same way I mentioned above about the politics and power vs philosophy and morales + Capital (Coruscant) affairs vs Swamps/Desert (Dagobah/Tatooine). 

What I mean is that the duels in the prequels depict the era - just like clothes, traditions, colors, technologies and social motives. In the prequels this meant, that duels were the battles of force (not the Force per se) and show of power ("I am warrior! Fear me!" - no matter who would say that). It's a very characteristic of that time.

By Episode V Yoda sees that such duels prove absolutely nothing - many perished in such battles and many more in wars, which were behind the facades of such struggles and social and idealistic doubts during the last years of the Republic with all their design and extravagant fashion and manners, which were gone years later.

The duels of this time - of the OT - are the battles of mind, of soul, of ideals - for real. Why I would say thanks to CW is that at least one episodes emphasizes that no one actually cares what they are fighting for in the first place.

I my opinion a saber struck became less dangerous than the Dark Side mortal blow after the Clone Wars, during the Dark times.

The Rebels seem to balance between the two - Ezra is learning lightsaber techniques to certain extent, while learning the philosophical aspects and being a Rebel himself after all.

therfiles and z3filus like this

@@Archangel35757

I see the duels in Episodes IV-VI the same way I mentioned above about the politics and power vs philosophy and morales + Capital (Coruscant) affairs vs Swamps/Desert (Dagobah/Tatooine).

What I mean is that the duels in the prequels depict the era - just like clothes, traditions, colors, technologies and social motives. In the prequels this meant, that duels were the battles of force (not the Force per se) and show of power ("I am warrior! Fear me!" - no matter who would say that). It's a very characteristic of that time.

By Episode V Yoda sees that such duels prove absolutely nothing - many perished in such battles and many more in wars, which were behind the facades of such struggles and social and idealistic doubts during the last years of the Republic with all their design and extravagant fashion and manners, which were gone years later.

The duels of this time - of the OT - are the battles of mind, of soul, of ideals - for real. Why I would say thanks to CW is that at least one episodes emphasizes that no one actually cares what they are fighting for in the first place.

I my opinion a saber struck became less dangerous than the Dark Side mortal blow after the Clone Wars, during the Dark times.

The Rebels seem to balance between the two - Ezra is learning lightsaber techniques to certain extent, while learning the philosophical aspects and being a Rebel himself after all.

I disagree. Lucas modeled the Jedi after the Samurai/KungFu Monks -- but he failed to hire stunt/fight coordinators who grasped that idea/vision... rather people in London, England interpreted "Lightsabers" like medevial two-handed broadswords-- and that is how they pathetically choreographed the OT saber duels... like medieval knights. Plus they used delicate clear glass rods which easily broke on contact-- thus making the fights look more pathetic. The Prequels got this aspect of saber dueling right! :winkthumb:

I disagree. Lucas modeled the Jedi after the Samurai/KungFu Monks -- but he failed to hire stunt/fight coordinators who grasped that idea/vision... rather people in London

True, the long waited duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan doesn't have the same heroic feel to it, as when Luke tried to defeat Vader..  and in both,

Attack of the Clones & Return of the Sith, the main focus in the duels was to make it look nice, almost like in Ballet, turn - walk walk, turn, walk hit !

Some liked it...  I didn't

They hired sword experts to help them with the figh scenese, with the choreography, and it looked good in my opinion, but they had to mix up techniques,

to create a new style, since lightsabers were nothing but hot laser beams that were very light so swing around. Fighting with sabers as if they were Katanas,

..........would not have looked cool

their dueling sabers they used during filming are in essence katanas... 

Are they now? I thought there  was a difference between a stick and a katana. The duel between Kanan the Sith Inquisitor was nicely done, that reminded me of the Original Trilogy.

The Inquisitors saber and fighting technique, reminded me of General Grievous from the preguels. I have to agree with @@NumberWan; This show seems to be a mixture of... everything about StarWars.

Are they now? I thought there  was a difference between a stick and a katana. The duel between Kanan the Sith Inquisitor was nicely done, that reminded me of the Original Trilogy.

The Inquisitors saber and fighting technique, reminded me of General Grievous from the preguels. I have to agree with @@NumberWan; This show seems to be a mixture of... everything about StarWars.

I meant in terms of weight-- their movie props were probably close the the weight of a Katana.

oh...  well I don't know about that, but on screen, they are just hot energy blades that cut trough anything, a Jedi only feels the weight of his saber hilt. Pretty much the same feeling as if you'd turn on your flashlight .

this is why I speak of 'red style' ingame, rather than, 'strong style'.  The animations are clearly made for a Iron Longsword, rather than a lightsaber. You don't see Mike Tyson punching heavy, with a slooooow puuuunch.

I'm watching episode 11 "Idiot's Array" and just laughed out loud how the escape pod "fell-away" from the Ghost as if it were in atmosphere under the full affect of gravity!  Hilarious... the writers need to brush up on some fundamental physics of space. :P

...puffer pig!  Please... it's a wonder it didn't snort like the pigs from Angry Birds game.

Jeff likes this

oh...  well I don't know about that, but on screen, they are just hot energy blades that cut trough anything, a Jedi only feels the weight of his saber hilt. Pretty much the same feeling as if you'd turn on your flashlight .

this is why I speak of 'red style' ingame, rather than, 'strong style'.  The animations are clearly made for a Iron Longsword, rather than a lightsaber. You don't see Mike Tyson punching heavy, with a slooooow puuuunch.

Lightsabers have a powerful gyroscopic effect which I think basically means they feel a bit unstable in your hand and resist certain types of motion. I think that's why people unskilled in using them can't just pick them up and use them as well as a regular sword.

you may be right, but I remember reading something about the saber being Jedi specific, that the Jedi use Force, in someway, to turn on their saber. And that would be the reason only Jedi could use them.

the theory on how a lightsaber works, has multiple options if you google it, it only confuses me. But as you said, the energyblades themselves may be somewhat unstable and resist types of motion, why not.

I still disagree with Archangel, about the sabers being similar to Katanas, on screen and on the set.

Lightsabers have a powerful gyroscopic effect which I think basically means they feel a bit unstable in your hand and resist certain types of motion. I think that's why people unskilled in using them can't just pick them up and use them as well as a regular sword.

That's only during the ignition that it generates that effect.

Also, technology wise there has been scientific discussion that the most likely technology for a lightsaber would be a plasma blade-- which wouldn't give off any heat... but it would generate light! And could be constrained to the shape of a blade-- unlike true light. Google for the Sci-Fi or Discovery episode that discussed the science of Star Wars weapons.

That's only during the ignition that it generates that effect.

Also, technology wise there has been scientific discussion that the most likely technology for a lightsaber would be a plasma blade-- which wouldn't give off any heat. Bit it would generate light! Google for the Sci-Fi or Discovery episode that discussed the science of Star Wars weapons.

I recall finding an article somewhere, reading that scientists had found a state of light that is vaguely similar to lightsabers, and its applications. I also recall the comments raging against the scientists' irresponsibility for using it to develop technologies and not lightsabers :P