T3-M4 Droid

Well... I'm having a problem with this guy.

btw I decided to texture it. Will be sweet.

Here's the issue...

I give the animation.cfg extra abilities i.e. jump etc. My droid will only do the anims for walk and run though. So I thought it was because I had his class as bot. So I changed his class to Luke just to see if it helped and same thing. Except now he can jump XD But the jump anim won't play that I assigned. it all works correctly in Modview though, like in Modview I can double click on BOTH_CROUCH and it will do the crouching anim, but ingame, no go. Any ideas? @@AshuraDX @@DT85

Long story short, the anims show up in Modview in the correct syntax, but the game will not play them. Only the walk, stand, and run anims

"Gravity's silhouette remains, but the star and all the planets, disappeared they have"

You probably don't have a Motion bone which allows for the character to move off of the ground.

You also really shouldn't set this as a playable character, for one, it would only work in SP since MP every player MUST use the _humanoid.gla.

It's really quite simple, import the source files for R2 and set him up like that and use R2's NPC file and voila, super simple though he'll only be a NPC in the game unless you want to code an entirely new NPC class that would allow for jumping and all that shit but I don't know why anyone would care that much. To me a R2 replacement is good enough.

Your animation name in the .cfg file needs to also match what the class label uses for that animation, if you name it whatever you want it wont play, the naming convention is coded into the gameplay so the game knows what animation to play when you hit the crouch button.

Even bone naming in a lot of instances plays a role in things since say for instance the AT-ST head will not rotate if you name the neck and head bones something different than what they are.

But that's not what I'm going for. Sure I can import the R2 skele and be content with that, but I want to make sure I know the ins and outs of custom playermodels. It does have a motion null, right under skeleton_root. He will jump, just not play the anim for jumping. I don't want him to jump sop it is a horrible example, but say I wanmted him to be able to use the USE button, he will, and he can use stuff, but it wont play his use anim. Only the three I listed I am just inquiring to why that is and how I can fix it. I added BOTH_LIGHTNING to a rancor's animation.cfg then made a new animation for lighting for the rancor and merged the glas. It worked perfectly. So I am wondering why this won't. I am wondering if he needs more tags to be able to do some anims?

And here we enter very difficult territory. I have so many different opinions about this...

I support Chalk's desire to get custom skeletons into MP. I don't know if it is possible or not, or if OpenJK opens doors that have been closed until recent years. Allowing alternative skeletons would open a wide variety of mods and allow more seamless interconnectivity between some of the mind blowing single player adventures that are out there and online efforts like movie duels.This is an ambitious, amazing prospect that could help the community as a whole.

An R2 replacement would be interesting, especially for mods that are doing Kotor era. It could inspire replacements of protocol droids and various other entities and some really fun stuff.

The request I made was based off of my own experience using droids in filming. There are C3PO skins and various droid skins out there, of course, but they move... like humans. The head tilt, the way they hold their arms, it's all just a bit organic. The only way to avoid that was to use vehicles. Droid vehicles utilized the NPC animations for movement and maintained the authentic feel. I used the R2 vehicle, 3PO vehicle, gonk and a few others. Eventually I needed more so I made more including the most delightful accident of wrapping an R5 unit around an R2 skeleton, creating the character R5-SM (for smashy head)

r5sm.JPG

But that is where my ability ends... Just moving assets around and playing with some of the most basic spawn coding in the game.

So I suppose my question boils down to the animations. I'd love if we can get a player model out of this, the animations are perfect for a droid. The custom skeleton escapes the organic look/feel problem. If we can't, though, are the animations being bound to the classic droid skeleton? Would it be a separate spawn entity, or would it affect all droids?

I never said use the R2 skeleton, just IMPORT AND USE AS REFERENCE. You're not reading again.

You won't get this model working in MP, just not going to happen, it breaks MP. Only way would be to change the code in MP to allow the use of different skeletons and then ONLY the  people AND SERVER running the mod will be able to use it.

The main problem more than likely with the jump and use animations is the NPC class you're using doesn't support that, although you may have a sequence game code doesn't look for that sort of thing.

I've put tons of non human models in the game with custom animations, unless you're a coder you're limited to the NPC classes and what they can do within the base game. Anything different requires code changes.

Yeah I have no idea why he kept sating MP I cleared that up like 2 pages ago. I just didnt want to keep correcting him I was kinda like "whatever" XD

I see what you're saying Mini and I will experiment between classes. If anything I will add the tags from _humanoid and use process of elimination to get a more definitive answer for anyone who wants to make custom skeles.

It has nothing to do with tags, it's about the NPC class, I experimented with this and the AT-RT. If the NPC class doesn't support certain actions you may be able to jump or use but no animation will be played.

I can tell you now this is not going to work without coding, the best you can do right now is an R2 replacement.

Well it works enough that missing 1 anim that I wanted to throw in won't matter much. As it stands ingame I have a walking, a running, a run start, a run stop, an idle anim, and it should be fine like this. No point in sticking him to the R2 skele because he wont have even the 3 or 4 anims that he does now. He would just be a moving brick 

Stuff

So dude.. @...

I really have no idea what you're getting at here?

I can literally only pick a few things out of that bro..

No MP

When he speaks of replacing the R2D2 he means the skeleton and animation file, so I'm not sure how sticking this to the old skele will "It could inspire replacements of protocol droids and various other entities" No. It will be a moving brick with maybe 1 animation if that and it would be a wonky anim at that.

Mr shamshy head is amazing

I cant make sense of this one at all "If we can't, though, are the animations being bound to the classic droid skeleton? Would it be a separate spawn entity, or would it affect all droids?"

It wont mess with any of the base stuff. It will not be rigged to an r2 skele

Here's an inganme of the few anims I do have working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnWeyMFJ5Do&feature=youtu.be

therfiles likes this

If you would have noted it was for MP in the OP we would have nipped that right in the bud. So you really have no need for this then? Because I want to texture it, but I want to take my time on it because I just found out some cool techniques I want to use on it. I just won't feel such a rush and I can finish up blackbeard and unwrap about 6 of my own models and get them ready to be sculpted

Maybe by then I'll tamper with this enough to be able to add a couple more anims or something cool. I know I gave extra abilities to the rancor and had him doing fully animated force lightings wayyyyy back in the day. like.. @@AshuraDX.. do u remember when we made the baby rancor with bugged eyes?! rofl those days I had rancors doing all kinds of cool things. So I will figure out if it's a bone naming deal, a class thing, or something else. I need this info anyways. Hell I may start a few tutorials. Like, the idiot's guide to tags and heirarchy. Covering everything from base to custom skeles. Twould be niiice. So I would like to know any of this and when I come into a snag I like to figure out why so I can avoid it or know to completely eliminate that route. So don't just say it won't work I'd like to personally know why so I know the exact reason if any of you can part with these sacred Jedi arts I would be joyful

If you would have noted it was for MP in the OP we would have nipped that right in the bud. So you really have no need for this then? Because I want to texture it, but I want to take my time on it because I just found out some cool techniques I want to use on it. I just won't feel such a rush and I can finish up blackbeard and unwrap about 6 of my own models and get them ready to be sculpted

Well, my need for T3 still exists. I realize how complete my failure was in the first place in not specifying that it was for MP, though 'nipping it in the bud' wouldn't have been any help either.

I truly respect what you've done so far. It's revolutionary and amazing and I know it will be magnificent when complete.

Hopefully my next questions won't be too confusing though... MP supports alternate player skeletons as NPC's, yes?

@minilogoguy18 , does MP only support the base asset skeletons?

We bypassed not being able to 'play as' unconventional character types by turning them into vehicles so far.

well wouldnt it still work in mp if it was made into a vehicle? thats what he wants to do with the model anyways.

That's my hope, but the question is if it will work with the custom skeleton and animations tied to a vehicle so he doesn't have to re-do anything.

I hate knowing so little about the topic... Do vehicles as a whole work on a similar principle? The star viper fighters for instance have custom animations. It's such a fuzzy area though, the droid vehicles I use rely on the droid animations present in the base game.

well its kinda different for every vehicle. lets take a regular fighter vehicle. now if it has landing gears theres an animation for that for when it goes up the animation makes the gears go up. and for when it goes down the gears comes down. plus if it has wings that moves. now for land vehicles like walkers theres the animation for it to walk. but when it comes down to a droid vehicle like you wanna make t3 just have its arms move and maybe head twist.

well its kinda different for every vehicle. lets take a regular fighter vehicle. now if it has landing gears theres an animation for that for when it goes up the animation makes the gears go up. and for when it goes down the gears comes down. plus if it has wings that moves. now for land vehicles like walkers theres the animation for it to walk. but when it comes down to a droid vehicle like you wanna make t3 just have its arms move and maybe head twist.

The droid vehicles I use, like the video up above, are walker class. The third foot is retracted when the vehicle is not in use and extends when the vehicle is occupied...

Chalk already went to the effort of making so many specific animations though. Would a vehicle only reference specific ones?

Still, I NEVER SAID USE THE R2 SKELETON, man you don't know how to read.

I meant as a replacement say using the same setup as the R2 as in animation sequences, NPC class type so that it would REPLACE the R2 BUT USE IT'S OWN SKELETON.

The way the animations work is that every class type calls on specific animations when specific actions are performed based on a naming convention. This is the reason why I never put out the AT-RT, as a walker type you couldn't see the driver, nor could you mount or dismount it like a tauntaun. But as the veh_tauntaun class the move/attack animations had to be named differently to work but then whenever I tried firing the lasers it did a twitchy saber swing animation since that's what that class is coded for.

I meant as a replacement say using the same setup as the R2 as in animation sequences, NPC class type so that it would REPLACE the R2 BUT USE IT'S OWN SKELETON.

The way the animations work is that every class type calls on specific animations when specific actions are performed based on a naming convention. This is the reason why I never put out the AT-RT, as a walker type you couldn't see the driver, nor could you mount or dismount it like a tauntaun. But as the veh_tauntaun class the move/attack animations had to be named differently to work but then whenever I tried firing the lasers it did a twitchy saber swing animation since that's what that class is coded for.

Ahh I see what you're saying. But I did that in the beginning. I changed the name of a few bones but the rest is the same, I'll go swap those bone names back and see what happens. Don't know how to read? Or possibly you didn't explain yourself completely. Dont be pompous with me mini, u wanna take this to the Swearing thread dude? I appreciate your input but you can check that tone. i initially imported the r2 and built around it, but mainly to steal tags and stuff. I will change the names of the mesh and bones back and see if that does anything. 

I am not asking you based on past remarks I 'neglected' to read, I am asking based on the hope of future inclusion. You still answered my question though. I was just hoping to use your experience rather than exasperation. I'm sorry about the confusion.

The mental image of the twitchy saber swing on an at-rt is quite wonky, lol.

So class-type, regardless of skeleton, ties into specific animations? Hence setting the class as droid inhibited jump animations in Chalk's attempts. Well, that and a potential lack of a movement bone... That does seem like it could make things quite a bit more challenging.

So class-type, regardless of skeleton, ties into specific animations? Hence setting the class as droid inhibited jump animations in Chalk's attempts. Well, that and a potential lack of a movement bone... That does seem like it could make things quite a bit more challenging.

It has a movement null! lol My head is going to explode

I will rig this to a R2 skele for your filming purposes to be used in MP. Will Try as hard as I can to set him up in a way that he can have some sort of anim, but since I can't change R2's gla, I doubt it. he will be available to walk around and be recorded for whatever you're doing.

I will release the SP version with all his anims, and try to add a few more by the end following mini's advice

I will texture it myself

I hope we are all back on the same page now.