SteamOS

If you haven't heard, Valve is making an entire operating system out of Steam, called (of course) SteamOS. It's designed to work around your living room and gaming consoles, and will include streaming from your PC to the device, as well as being able to play games natively. It's interesting to note that this is an open system, and any hardware manufacturer can use the OS.

Jango40, Stoiss, Futuza and 1 other like this

If you haven't heard, Valve is making an entire operating system out of Steam, called (of course) SteamOS. It's designed to work around your living room and gaming consoles, and will include streaming from your PC to the device, as well as being able to play games natively. It's interesting to note that this is an open system, and any hardware manufacturer can use the OS.

I'm gonna get one

They've been planning to make a push to get into our living rooms for sometime now.

Big Picture mode was the start, and the increases in controler support.

They've just announced an OS, and they've been teasing a "console" of sorts for a while, mostly likely just a standardized media PC that will come with their OS installed.  Gabe Newell has actually mentioned the "SteamBox" in a number of interviews I think.

So I would imagine that at least ONE of the remaining announcements is this "console"...this would explain the consist references to streaming content, as it may be a lower power device that can stream the games from your gaming PC to your TV.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Last year, we shipped a software feature called Big Picture, a user-interface tailored for televisions and gamepads.
This year we’ve been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living-room.
Soon, we’ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.

This basically shuts-down the overall likely-hood of any of these being game announcements.

BUT then again, they have said it is open for hard-ware manufacturers...so would they really attempt to market their own device too?

How so?

I assume you are referring to my statement that neither of the two remaining announcements are games.

Well namely the fact that on that page I linked, each of those "dots" is representing an announcement , with the first one being the SteamOS.  The paragraph below says that this is part of their effort to bring Steam as a platform, to the living room.

I tried to nose around in the page's code...not that I expected Valve to have just left names for things, but that maybe they'd left little teases...no such luck.  But practically everything in the code is marked "livingroom" I.E. that is most likely what this is all about.

With SteamOS being the first announcement...the logical step is to next announce some sort of hardware or peripheral, not designed to be the sole device running it (which as we've all pointed out, its open to everyone), but perhaps engineered to make the most of it for your money.

Now this does leave a curious opening with the third announcement, but if everything else is devoted to bringing Steam to the livingroom, then it seems highly unlikely that they will be including any sort of game announcement with these.  And the fact that it says they are "connecting the dots" also points towards it being some sort of tie-in, feature to Steam, hardware, etc.

Now that isn't to say that once these announcements have been made, that we won't see some new game(s) announced in the following weeks or months.

Left 4 Dead 3 has been leaked via an office tour:

http://kotaku.com/valve-tour-leaks-left-4-dead-3-1036602962

So, I'm not exactly holding out hope that they aren't going to announce new games.

If one uses the circle symbolism, we're given a circle as the first symbol. The circle represents SteamOS, as we know.

Then we have the second symbol, which is a circle in a bracket. There's a few different ways to interpret it:

• SteamOS is used on a piece of hardware (The circle is contained within the brackets, brackets being hardware)
  • SteamOS is included with a piece of software (The circle is contained within the brackets, brackets being a piece of software)

As to what this hardware is, we don't particularly know yet. Though one user over at Kotaku made an interesting theory about PS4 + Steam hardware linkage. This brings me to the third symbol.

We have the third symbol, which is two circles being added together. There's a variety of different ways to interpret this:

• SteamOS (software) included on hardware (Steam box) will include software (games) which can possibly be new
  • Sony + SteamOS links
  • Better social capabilities via said hardware...since SteamOS is a circle, which could represent a player also, the second circle could resemble another player

Part 2 is hardware http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

This part:

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?

If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.

in the Q&A, is leading me to think that the last announcement is some sort of peripheral.

CAN"T BE UNSEEN!

ku-xlarge.png

ku-xlarge.png

Also,

They've been planning to make a push to get into our living rooms for sometime now.

Big Picture mode was the start, and the increases in controler support.
They've just announced an OS, and they've been teasing a "console" of sorts for a while, mostly likely just a standardized media PC that will come with their OS installed.  Gabe Newell has actually mentioned the "SteamBox" in a number of interviews I think.
So I would imagine that at least ONE of the remaining announcements is this "console"...this would explain the consist references to streaming content, as it may be a lower power device that can stream the games from your gaming PC to your TV.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

This basically shuts-down the overall likely-hood of any of these being game announcements.

BUT then again, they have said it is open for hard-ware manufacturers...so would they really attempt to market their own device too?

I assume you are referring to my statement that neither of the two remaining announcements are games.

Well namely the fact that on that page I linked, each of those "dots" is representing an announcement , with the first one being the SteamOS.  The paragraph below says that this is part of their effort to bring Steam as a platform, to the living room.
I tried to nose around in the page's code...not that I expected Valve to have just left names for things, but that maybe they'd left little teases...no such luck.  But practically everything in the code is marked "livingroom" I.E. that is most likely what this is all about.

With SteamOS being the first announcement...the logical step is to next announce some sort of hardware or peripheral, not designed to be the sole device running it (which as we've all pointed out, its open to everyone), but perhaps engineered to make the most of it for your money.
Now this does leave a curious opening with the third announcement, but if everything else is devoted to bringing Steam to the livingroom, then it seems highly unlikely that they will be including any sort of game announcement with these.  And the fact that it says they are "connecting the dots" also points towards it being some sort of tie-in, feature to Steam, hardware, etc.

Now that isn't to say that once these announcements have been made, that we won't see some new game(s) announced in the following weeks or months.

Holy crap it's like I called it  :blink:Or, y'know, it could be the fact I have connections throughout the games industry....just saying

Circa likes this