OpenJK General Topic

eezstreet

So i spoke to Raz0r and Ensiform  yesterday.  I came from the angle of being able to port sp code more easily and they convinced me c++ is not a good idea because of template programming which is really the main feature of cpp being used in the sp code causing slow downs in build speed which hurts dev/modding time.

I talked with some of you guys about this before.. but did you guys want to vote on converting JA MP code to C++?

The amount of C++-ification that is possible is limited by having to keep the interface to mods the same. I'm not sure if it's something that should be done in OpenJK. Personally, I plan to start my own fork at some point, which will be mostly C++ and Lua and abandon mod compatibility in favor of modernization.

Is it possible to lift up the limits of jk2 up to the ones from JKA? Mainly the issue "ERROR: MAX_SUBMODELS exceeded" causes JK2 to not properly run JKA maps  I think. Any fix in that direction would be awesome!

Is it possible to lift up the limits of jk2 up to the ones from JKA? Mainly the issue "ERROR: MAX_SUBMODELS exceeded" causes JK2 to not properly run JKA maps  I think. Any fix in that direction would be awesome!

Read through some of the thread, a future goal is to make JK2 and JA run on 1 engine so they'll be equal in functionality.

You already can use external lightmaps?

@@Raz0r - Not really. The only way I've gotten external lightmaps to work is with faking it via shaders, and even then it only works on patches and you have to use nodlight (so no saber glows, weapon bullet glows) - its very hacky.

a) I dont understand that link. The -export function will output external lightmaps but JKA doesn't use them.

B) Why use external lightmaps if they remain the same size as JKA? I thought it was obvious that the use of external lightmaps was precisely so you could have higher resolutions.

c) I have used these methods to produce external 1024x1024 lightmaps but as mentioned before, there are serious limitations!

Also, none of the links on that page work!

http://sgq3-mapping.blogspot.co.uk/2009/01/using-hi-resolution-external-lightmap.html

a) I dont understand that link. The -export function will output external lightmaps but JKA doesn't use them.

It's a Q3Map2 feature, not a JKA one. It's for manually editing lightmaps and then using -import to put them back in, as far as I know.

B) Why use external lightmaps if they remain the same size as JKA? I thought it was obvious that the use of external lightmaps was precisely so you could have higher resolutions.

No, it's just for manual editing besides scaling, as far as I can tell. Although I agree that an arbitrary lightmap size limit is no good. On the other hand, lightmaps already make up a major part of the level size, I'm not sure they need to be increased any further - realtime lighting would be better suited for the cases where you want crisp shadows.

How is it limited to 128x128 when the source is now open and moddable? I thought anything was possible ;D :P That was the request. Can high-res external lightmaps be implemented? Hell, even internal ones if that's easier.

Of course if there's a plan for a dynamic lighting system I guess its irrelevant...

The lightmaps lump (afaik) limits it to 128x128. If you're talking about external lightmap via shader (which I hate the idea of using anyway), I don't know if there actually IS a limit (but if there was, it'd likely be either 1024x1024 or 8192x8192). Increasing internal lightmap dimensions could potentially break base map support but I haven't looked into it enough to know for sure. It'll definitely disallow any sort of usage for that map on base though.

Also you need to use a special version of q3map2 to take advantage of said feature.