[No comment]

shot0058.jpg

shot0059.jpg

shot0060.jpg

shot0061.jpg

shot0064.jpg

All that I can definitively confirm:

• Everything you see and hear is heavily WIP.
  • This is all for JK2, SP versions 1.03 and 1.04.
  • It involves reverse engineering.
  • The game has been optimized to run on controllers. XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 controller support added.
  • Inspirations are drawn from mods such as Brutal Doom, FakeFactory, and sikkmod.
  • QEffects is used, with modifications.
  • Several balance modifications were made, and several new features are added, as well as continuity fixes to the main game.
  • The mod contains a singleplayer mission which was originally cut from Jedi Knight 2. It was restored and improved upon from the original source files that we received.
  • The mod contains a multiplayer map that was originally cut from Jedi Knight 2, with missing textures replaced and several errors fixed.
  • Raven helped us to make this mod in various indirect ways.
Mog, Sentra, Stoiss and 7 others like this

Optimized for controllers how? I've been using a PS3 controller for JO and JA forever since I originally owned them on consoles but could never get used to mouse and keyboard for saber fighting. The main thing that was missing was joystick sensetivity. The game treats up, down, left and right as buttons, leaving out diagonals. If you could get full functionality with a program like MotionJoy that would be awesome.

These visual effects look better btw, the QEffects was way too strong. Don't forget about volumetric shadows.

Is this your JK2 Uncut mod?

No. Well, sort of.

Optimized for controllers how? I've been using a PS3 controller for JO and JA forever since I originally owned them on consoles but could never get used to mouse and keyboard for saber fighting. The main thing that was missing was joystick sensetivity. The game treats up, down, left and right as buttons, leaving out diagonals. If you could get full functionality with a program like MotionJoy that would be awesome.

Yes, precisely. I've been spending some time with XInput -- the API for XBOX 360 controllers. Essentially what I did was what you mentioned -> the game now treats the sticks properly, and doesn't treat them like buttons anymore. This functionality so far is restricted to XInput, but I've been working on contacting the MotionInJoy developers (I own a PS3 controller, XBOX 360 controller, and Wii controller, which I use for various...hacks) to see if they could offer some assistance for the PS3 controller support.

Unfortunately this comes with a restriction attached for the XInput devices. You can't change the button layout for them via the menus unfortunately. I've rebound the buttons to be more sensible than the XBOX/Gamecube interface after extensive playtesting with the controller. One of the things I'd like to implement is aim assist, as it's a bit challenging to aim atm (and JK2 had aim assist on the consoles anyway, so consistency++), and rumble via the onboard Force Feedback stuff that JK2 has built into the singleplayer aspect.

Interestingly enough, this only required slight modifications to the JKG joystick controls in order to implement properly.

On the TODO list:

• Assign Y to be an instant lightsaber switch-to button when using guns, and make it into a stance change button when in saber
  • Assign left and right shoulder buttons to be force power selection when in sabers (currently they're assigned to Lean, which I will be tweaking also to be more useful)
  • Improve the animations. Right now, the animations play at the same speed regardless of your movement, which looks a bit silly in some circumstances (like barely moving the sticks at all)
  • Rumble
  • Aim Assist
  • Adjust threshold via menu (it's a static limit of about 15% input required on both left and right sticks for input to take place)

But yeah, I gotta upload some sort of gameplay footage of me playing with this, so you can get a better idea as to what's changed. Generally it plays a LOT better now and the joystick option is actually quite viable, if not my preferred method of playing now, because it's such a contextual interface.

Only one downside to all of this though is that there's absolutely no way to control menus at all with this. Sorry :( You'll need to use the mouse in order to navigate the menus.

Impressive work, though I am curious...

"Raven helped us to make this mod in various indirect ways."

Who is us?

That information is classified. Whoever has worked on this will come out of the woodwork and proclaim that they've worked on it. I only say this because at least one of the people involved asked that I keep their information anonymous in some form or another.

^You should be ashamed for not owning it, even more so if you don't have JK and MotS.

JA has the strongest MP and modding base but the absolute worst SP campaign of the entire DF series.

A JA port of this mod would still be a very good idea.

I was never really big into single-player games that much, I bought JKA originally for the MP way way back in the day.  Course, JK2 is pretty cheap, so I don't really have an excuse not to get it.  :P

But yeah, a JA port might be nice for lazy bums like me.  Though we should probably let eez actually finish the jk2 part before he worries about that.

JKG Developer

I'm not sure what it is that you're asking me to port here :!:

If you're talking about porting the JK2 campaign to JKA, I don't think our contacts at Raven would much appreciate that, but I don't really know as I haven't asked them specifically. If you're talking about the features, as in the controller adjustments, that's all a simple hook and really a minor thing in comparison to the others. Anyway, I highly recommend JK2, as the story itself is fairly good, and honestly the best in the series when it comes to story (sans characterization, which DF1 did best imo). Gameplay is also better in my opinion, as it isn't riddled with special moves and silly gimmicks.

Part of the mod itself is the cut content (cut SP mission and cut MP map), so I suppose you're referring to the code changes. As for those, they may or may not impact the balance of JA negatively. All I can conclusively say is that porting it to JKA or earlier versions of JK2 isn't going to be a totally difficult task, all things considered. Mostly just annoying and time consuming.

I still haven't gotten an email from MotionInJoy yet, in case you're wondering. Been a day or two I think.

PS3 Controller support added.

Note that you need to change the default configuration in MotionInJoy around a little bit.

You need to change Axis Rz to "Right Stick X" and Axis Slider to "Right Stick Y" in order for it to work properly. This is because the Sixaxis tilt sensors are in place of what the Right Stick should be, and the game can't access that. The difference should be the same regardless of whether you're using Sixaxis or Dualshock (in Dualshock's case, those axes are just not used at all).

Control mapping should be virtually identical to the XBOX 360's, just with obvious name changes of the buttons.

A word of warning however: the menu navigation is still broken, and it's worse with the PS3 controller as you have to fight the controller feedback when navigating menus. It isn't too bad though.