How to skip cinematcis?

I have a bug... in jk2/jk3 modification D: The bartender cant give me a drink. The cinematcis stop and I cant skip it even if i press Use button to skip. Is there any command to skip it completly?

This is an occurring problem caused by the way JKA code reads JKO scripts. JKA code reads scripts just a little differently than JKO .

I also found this problem some time ago and fixed it in SJE . 

I f you want to play JKO fully without interruptions in the JKA engine then you need to use SJE .

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u375ia2zp05plqb/Serenity+Jedi+Engine+V0.8.rar

I don't know if openjk has also fixed this problem but i know i definitely have in SJE....

Related: Fun point with cinematics in JKA; Spawn an npc such as Tavion on the first level (Yavin) where Rosh goes to push the button to let out the saber droid, then go back and play the game as normally.  When the time to play the cinematic, Rosh will spawn and head towards the button, Tavion's ai should then promptly decide to kill him on the spot.  Rosh will never push the button and the cinematic will hang forever.  Attempt skipping it...crash.

therfiles likes this

JKG Developer

Related: Fun point with cinematics in JKA; Spawn an npc such as Tavion on the first level (Yavin) where Rosh goes to push the button to let out the saber droid, then go back and play the game as normally.  When the time to play the cinematic, Rosh will spawn and head towards the button, Tavion's ai should then promptly decide to kill him on the spot.  Rosh will never push the button and the cinematic will hang forever.  Attempt skipping it...crash.

Yes, that's rather fun. It's because the script is going to continually wait for the action to be preformed. So when you kill the NPC, an infinite wait time effectively crashes the game. Unless there is a special skip-script specified, I believe skipping a cinematic just makes it go faster (not drawn ofc), but how do you make infinity go faster? The game cries and crashes. :P

I'm guessing though in this case the conversion from JK2 to JK3 broke a cinematic and made the same thing happen.

eezstreet likes this

Whenever a cinematic gets skipped (by pressing the USE key), the game ramps up the timescale and mutes sound playback, effectively speeding up the game substantially with minimal issues. This is done in order to make sure things are in their proper position by the time the cinematic is done. When ICARUS gets executed, it sometimes relies on certain actions being completed, such as animations to finish and audio to be played. If the audio doesn't exist, animations don't fire, NPCs don't reach their goal, etc, this can cause the game to be effectively stuck waiting for these actions, leaving the cinematic unable to be completed.

therfiles and Futuza like this

It's not. We can't just assign an arbitrary length to cinematics and expect them to be done by that timeframe. WONTFIX. People should just not have cinematics that hang the game like that. It's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Yeah, but as long as the skip value is at least longer than the longest cinematic from base games (Raven is a yardstick yo) you can blame people's stupid cinematic.  Besides that's why it would give the user a choice to continue waiting for another time period or quit.  This would be more of a band-aid catch in case some idiot does make a stupid cinematic it at least doesn't crash the game completely and just returns to the menu.

But like I said, probably not really worth it since it doesn't really fix the problem, just makes that crash possibility less worse.

JKG Developer

Yeah, but as long as the skip value is at least longer than the longest cinematic from base games (Raven is a yardstick yo) you can blame people's stupid cinematic.  Besides that's why it would give the user a choice to continue waiting for another time period or quit.  This would be more of a band-aid catch in case some idiot does make a stupid cinematic it at least doesn't crash the game completely and just returns to the menu.

But like I said, probably not really worth it since it doesn't really fix the problem, just makes that crash possibility less worse.

What if there's mods out there that already exist and have longer cinematics than the base game? This just adds an annoying "Continue"? dialogue to the mix which could have all kinds of nasty repercussions and limiting people's creative visions. I can foresee it as one of the many reasons why people choose not to use OpenJK as a basis for their stuff.

Why even implement a bandaid fix like this in the first place? If people make broken shit, there's no need to hold their hand and tell them that stuff is broken. Literally makes no sense at all.