How to skip cinematcis?

@@eezstreet: Out of curiosity, could the game use ICARUS to approximately calculate the total wait time (add all the wait times in the wait blocks) and set the "wait limit" to that time * the percent increase of timescale in relation to 1? For example:

24 second script * .1(timescale 10 times faster)

You can't, because ICARUS can't magically deduce how long animations or sounds are going to be. In the case of JK2 and JKA, they use do() while() blocks which wait on animations or sounds to complete.

therfiles likes this

What if there's mods out there that already exist and have longer cinematics than the base game? This just adds an annoying "Continue"? dialogue to the mix which could have all kinds of nasty repercussions and limiting people's creative visions. I can foresee it as one of the many reasons why people choose not to use OpenJK as a basis for their stuff.

Why even implement a bandaid fix like this in the first place? If people make broken shit, there's no need to hold their hand and tell them that stuff is broken. Literally makes no sense at all.

Just so we're clear: If your cutscene takes longer than 10 seconds to skip there's something wrong with it.  The continue dialogue thing would only have to show up if they tried to skip a cinematic, and wouldn't come into affect at all for regular viewing.  That's my suggestion.  Other wise, yeah it'll run forever with no interruptions and no hand holding.

I dunno maybe its because I'm too used to windows errors that like to tell you about everything.  Maybe I need to think more linuxy.

JKG Developer

Not necessarily. I've sat through several LONG cutscenes that would take longer than ten seconds to skip, and would resume normally afterwords. I guess if you made it a mini error dialogue in the corner that can be accepted or denied it might work. But there are several limitations that @@eezstreet pointed out to a system like this, however.

Note that framerate and CPU speed also determine how long it takes to skip a cinematic. Low framerates and poor performing CPUs will cause slowdowns as well. Further complicating matters is that the timescale umm...scales down the time, so it's a little difficult to determine how long it takes for it to reach 10 seconds or so :P

therfiles likes this