Raven on Yoda saber and Emperor

So it would appear that there is multiple instances where Yoda and the Emperor would appear to be added to the game, but he is not actually in the game, how odd...

Force powers do not work on any NPC named yoda.

Likewise, any NPC named emperor will only use force powers, regardless of NPC class.

Yoda has an extremely strong saber lock (stronger than desann)

Yoda automatically inherits all qualities of CLASS_DESANN, regardless of current NPC class

Yoda's saber exists, buried away in one of the .sab files, named "Eternal". It is forced to be green and use Tavion stance, references a model that doesn't exist, and is shorter than normal.

Thoughts?

Fighter and therfiles like this

I'd never heard anything about the Emperor, but it's clear that Yoda was thought about in some way, shape or form during the production of the game. Though why, I'd be interested to hear. Maybe they'd considered a few characters such as Vader, the Emperor and Yoda to be featured as extra multiplayer player choices?

So, it would appear that Raven is pretty fun loving after all. Got this email in my inbox from Raven which discusses yoda saber and emperor hardcodes in SP:

Well, this is code I haven't looked at in about 10 years, so I can only speculate. I know I did a lot of stuff "on the side" for the Jedi Games - and after seeing all the mods made for Jedi Outcast, I recall wanting to make Jedi Academy as mod-ready as possible. So I made the lightsabers driven by external data files and made NPC external data files more robust.

References to Yoda and the Emperor were probably just me fooling around with community-made models for those characters, so I probably made NPC files for them with the appropriate characteristics.

Hope that sheds some light on things!

-Mike Gummelt

MUG, Caelum and therfiles like this

Looking at this game's duel/siege maps, and the new saber types, my guess is that the multiplayer for JKA was originally going to be closer to movie battles, with lots of film events. Largely, it seems that they were focusing on episode I stuff, what with the staff sabers, and the maul duel map, but the game has lots of indications that it was modelled more closely after the films than previous JK games (what with kyle not being the main character, luke being more central, the Bryar being swapped out for a gun similar to the one Han Solo uses in the original trilogy). I guess that Yoda and the Emperor were just another part of that vision that never happened, in favour of a more jk2-like multiplayer.

Well that's just anti-climatic. KInda cool that they're playing with the community's mods. I can picture an employee sitting at his desk thinking: "This map's actually better than anything we've put in the game, and we're getting paid." =P

In the singleplayer  SDK  the emporer is referenced only once, and its in NPC_spawn.cpp 

In void NPC_SetMiscDefaultData( gentity_t *ent )

Ln336  Col19 Ch16 

if ( !Q_stricmp( "emperor", ent->NPC_type ) 
|| !Q_stricmp( "cultist_grip", ent->NPC_type )
|| !Q_stricmp( "cultist_drain", ent->NPC_type )
|| !Q_stricmp( "cultist_lightning", ent->NPC_type ))
{//FIXME: extern this into NPC.cfg?
ent->NPC->scriptFlags |= SCF_DONT_FIRE;//so he uses only force powers
}

Explains the force power thing for emporer

Yoda however is referanced quite a lot in the Singleplayer SDK

in
AI_Jedi.cpp
NPC_spawn.cpp 
wp_saber.cpp
but most of it is redundant code or commented out

if ( !Q_stricmp( "Yoda", ent->NPC_type ) )
{//FIXME: extern this into NPC.cfg?
ent->NPC->scriptFlags |= SCF_NO_FORCE;//force powers don't work on him
ent->NPC->aiFlags |= NPCAI_BOSS_CHARACTER;
}

may explain why Force powers do not work on any NPC named yoda 

also yoda npc has several extra instances to help him that have not been removed

I.E
Ln10770   Col10 Ch4

if ( !Q_stricmp("Yoda",traceEnt->NPC_type) )
{
Jedi_PlayDeflectSound( traceEnt );
ForceThrow( traceEnt, qfalse );
return;
}

Most of the remaining yoda/emporer code that can be found in the SP SDK  look like an "ABANDONED IDEA"

These fragments of "FLOATING CODE" that were never removed properly are the reason why yoda/emporer can sometimes display different behaviour

I dont normally post but i thought i might be able to shed some light  on this one.
wat

Yes ,other instances of code including yoda in the SP SDK mainly ascertain to resting push,pull,drain and grip.

I.E in

wp_saber.cpp

at

Ln9419 Col71 Ch53

in

void ForceThrow( gentity_t *self, qboolean pull, qboolean fake )
{//FIXME: pass in a target ent so we (an NPC) can push/pull just one targeted ent.
//shove things in front of you away

Etc.Etc.Etc

after 

#ifdef _IMMERSION
int forceIndex;
#endif // _IMMERSION

Etc.Etc.Etc

else if ( !push_list[x]->s.number )
{//player
if ( !noResist
&& push_list[x]->health > 0 //alive
&& push_list[x]->client //client
&& push_list[x]->client->ps.forceRageRecoveryTime < level.time //not recobering from rage
&& push_list[x]->client->ps.torsoAnim != BOTH_FORCEGRIP_HOLD// BOTH_FORCEGRIP1//wasn't trying to grip anyone
//&& push_list[x]->client->ps.torsoAnim != BOTH_HUGGER1// wasn't trying to grip-drain anyone
&& push_list[x]->client->ps.torsoAnim != BOTH_FORCE_DRAIN_GRAB_START// wasn't trying to grip-drain anyone
&& push_list[x]->client->ps.torsoAnim != BOTH_FORCE_DRAIN_GRAB_HOLD// wasn't trying to grip-drain anyone
&& ((self->client->NPC_class != CLASS_DESANN&&Q_stricmp("Yoda",self->NPC_type)) || !Q_irand( 0, 2 ) )//only 30% chance of resisting a Desann push
&& push_list[x]->client->ps.groundEntityNum != ENTITYNUM_NONE//on the ground
&& !PM_InKnockDown( &push_list[x]->client->ps )//not knocked down already
&& push_list[x]->client->ps.saberLockTime < level.time//not involved in a saberLock
&& push_list[x]->client->ps.weaponTime < level.time//not attacking or otherwise busy
&& (push_list[x]->client->ps.weapon == WP_SABER||push_list[x]->client->ps.weapon == WP_MELEE) )//using saber or fists
{//trying to push or pull the player!

Etc.Etc.Etc

So basically yoda NPC has the same resist abilities as Desann
I think the point is: there exists an SP SDK? o_o

ERM ye !  

source development kit probably not a good way to explain.My bad.

Old habit from writing about mp SDK ,force of hand.

More like the dead sea scrolls. Its out there, you know whats in it, know a guy who knows a guy,That works with a guy ,who met a guy kind of thing.

Got the pages,from a 2000 year old manuscript, from a hobbit,who worked with a wizard that got his hands on the map leading to the crystal skull.

Who copied the dead see scrolls before burning the ring in the fires of secrecy and made me a copy then made me swear an oath of secrecy about the

location of the Annunaki............... 

Nobody,s got the Dead see scrolls at home but we all know what in them..