MAP - Vengeance on Kothlis (Request)

Not sure how many of you may have experienced the old Rogue Squadron trilogy games from Factor 5, but as I recently started playing Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader with Dolphin emulator on HD textures pack, I think we would need and love to have a map based on mission 6 "Vengeance on Kothlis". I understand that we can't have the exact 1:1 experience, but my point would be:

* Having a map with this kind of atmosphere from Vengeance on Kothlis mission.

* Good combination of what we are all familiar now from the new SW cannon as "Maz's castle & Scarif", I think this is the best combination for all kind of fans.

* Somewhere near the middle or the near the beach coast, on the sea/ocean, we have some ruins from a star destroyer (non usable as vehicle) that has been shot down.

* Instead of real working AT-AT's we might use 1 or 2 map objects of destroyed AT-AT's on the map.

That would be a good battleground to shoot some stormtroopers or just lightsaber duels.

Reference Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkDupZfUT3I

I've wanted to do a good spaceship battle MP map for a long time, but all my tests have been really unsuccessful (though I believe I'm slowly getting there). I'm aware someone posted in the Warzone forums a tool that could create big maps without GTKRadiant, but I haven't tested it yet because I don't have the time. 

I think the hardest thing to do here would be the destroyed star destroyer.

I've wanted to do a good spaceship battle MP map for a long time, but all my tests have been really unsuccessful (though I believe I'm slowly getting there). I'm aware someone posted in the Warzone forums a tool that could create big maps without GTKRadiant, but I haven't tested it yet because I don't have the time. 

I think the hardest thing to do here would be the destroyed star destroyer.

Might have to model that and export it as PatchMesh via my or SomaZ Exporter ;)

Might have to model that and export it as PatchMesh via my or SomaZ Exporter ;)

Yes, I'll have to get and start to learn how to use 3Dsmax before though, so it will take me some time to get this ready, but what you've shown so far makes it look very promising!

Is that guy in the video playing this game on a PC?

Yes, I can confirm that since I also play it on PC, using Dolphin emulator (version 5), there's a forum with HD textures pack and if you manage to tweak a little bit the graphics it will run smooth.

Sadly it wont run if you have anything below Intel i3 4XXX or i7 4XXX, even I have some issues with the FPS/VPS in the game, as I am having: Nvidia GeForce 840M // Intel i7-4510 CPU at 2.00 GHz on 8GB RAM, but I bet that if you have at least 3GHz and 8/16GB of RAM should run smoother, also it's good to use the Dolphin's inside over clock to increase the VPS (at least 50-60) in game and reduce the FPS (at least 45-50 to run smooth) Also you go to make your graphic card to use all 3D options for Dolphin and change the texture's by default they might be 600 x 400 but if you change them to similar of your monitor it can work (even on 4K if you'd like/can).

JAWSFreelao likes this

Wouldn't be easier to use a lower quality star destroyer and make it the same way as both missions from (JKA Base: Merchant rescue - Blenjeel) and the unfinished TFU JKA map with the shuttle? Or you speak about a really good quality map, because I think if we limit the original idea it would be easier to work inside JKA, but if you want to make it the size of T2_Trip, so that you can both fight on ground with weapons/sabers and fly around that would be harder to make indeed. Any ideas of simplifying the concept? Also I know that over Warzone's topic, they have a similar Scarif-ish/Vengeance-ish map, but that mod seems to require a better card that my Nvidia as it can't run :(

My lightmap compile got knida screwed over, but this is a test map I just made:

upFLzUkl.jpg

testing some functionality of my plugins. The texturing and lighting is temporal (obviously).

Was this all done with your plugin? Bugs aside it has the potential to look really beautiful!

Was this all done with your plugin? Bugs aside it has the potential to look really beautiful!

yup.

Even the texture assignment was semi-automatically done based at vertex paint. Later on it will also automatically generate alpha fade brushes for the materialborders.

I also managed to fix the lightmap via simply recompiling:

ZpWyAawl.jpg

The current scale of this map is 32768 x 32768 x 8192 units - I have no clue wether I can keep it this large. The FPS are fine for the most part, I don't know why it dipped below 60 while taking that screenshot.

dark_apprentice likes this

Starting really good and even though the bugs you've mentioned for a first full map that comes from your newly made plugin and something else made outside from GTK, it looks very promising to be honest o.O I can already see something coming in the way of sounds on it, but gotta think a bit more SW-ish if I want to make a song on it. Btw do you think to make the map for vanilla JKA or it will require something like OpenJK or Warzone?

Starting really good and even though the bugs you've mentioned for a first full map that comes from your newly made plugin and something else made outside from GTK, it looks very promising to be honest o.O I can already see something coming in the way of sounds on it, but gotta think a bit more SW-ish if I want to make a song on it. Btw do you think to make the map for vanilla JKA or it will require something like OpenJK or Warzone?

it will be made with vanilla in mind, but I run OpenJK for all of my testing on a very strong PC. So I can't make any promises that it won't fry weaker PCs

dark_apprentice and SomaZ like this
  • 1 month later...

I really feel the pressure and amount of work that needs to be done, before you can proceed any further with this map project. But I am not going to hide, that something is pushing me inside out and I would like to assist you with something even little, but to support your work sadly I don't know what or where to start from. I recently started to work a bit more on sound tracks as I am waiting for our singer to finish the final vocals on my debut album. I am really looking forward as a challenge to give it a try on something more SW style, but is that going to be enough for helping you?

I really feel the pressure and amount of work that needs to be done, before you can proceed any further with this map project. But I am not going to hide, that something is pushing me inside out and I would like to assist you with something even little, but to support your work sadly I don't know what or where to start from. I recently started to work a bit more on sound tracks as I am waiting for our singer to finish the final vocals on my debut album. I am really looking forward as a challenge to give it a try on something more SW style, but is that going to be enough for helping you?

Sorry but, I don't really need a lot of soundwork to be done. What I am facing is a ton of modeling work. Probably Years worth of it,considering my amount of freetime.

Last picture for a while

dWukxhKl.jpg

further progress requires me to create a pile of assets to make this work.

Plants, Rocks, Random Imperial/Rebel clutter stuff, a Imperial Class Star Destroyer along with textures for all of these + the maps textures and way, way more.

I'll also have to finish some yet untouched aspects of my plugin.

I am very interessed on that. let me know when plug in is ready D: it's wonderful! the smallest space of gtk radiant map are ever a big limitation. .-. (also a vertex paint terrain on radiant should really amazing. easygen is not much user friendly)

dark_apprentice likes this