Hyperspace Tunnel

Anyone remember the hyperspace tunnel outside the Doomgiver in Jedi Outcast? Are there any ways to get a hyperspace tunnel that works in a similar way, but appears closer to the actual Hyperspace effect used in the movies?

Or I suppose an alternative would be the same tunnel from Jedi Outcast in Jedi Academy, but with an invisible floor in the middle on which vehicles could be spawned? I know it's probably an idea only interesting to film makers and RPGers, but it is something that hasn't been explore much in map making.

I thank you all for at least humoring the idea!

If I'm correct, the same effect is used on the map mp/siege_destroyer in JA when rebel ships leave the hangar. 

Ah, that's right! Though that one is even harder to access because you can't just noclip out to it like on the doomgiver.

Edit: I went into the map file and it is not the same tunnel. It's a more ethereal sort of effect that's flat rather than a 3D structure.

^Pretty sure it's broken in JA, if you have JO you could port the missing files over. In JA it's just a blue/purple blob, nothing like JO.

I have that Jedi Outcast for Jedi Academy mod so I've used the doomgiver tunnel as much as I can, but I was hoping something better might one day be possible.

From direct on, it's very convincing. Looks like a Hyperpsace tunnel, though the colors and hues don't match up to what we've seen in more recent movies:G3pIEFV.png

Zooming out, you can see that it's a funnel effect, starting at a specific point and growing larger ahead and around of the Doomgiver bridge.
zTQm1o5.png

Taking a closer look from the outside, you have a few main structures. There's the outer cone, an inner cone of turquoise wispy stuff, and near the front there's a white funnel shape that fans out.
mdVJgNO.png

https://youtu.be/_VjEUvuyGP4

I made something like this in my hyperblast map 

Just make a skybox (the other box outside your main map) inside this box make a cilinder with the flashing texture that scrolls. I will try this now on my executor map and see how it looks

EDIT: OK!!! Now how to do this because it went better than i expected:

1. Texture i made - some blue and in some places white splatters.Just this blue hyperspace energy
2. Shader like this - 

textures/executor/hyper
{
q3map_nolightmap
surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nonsolid
cull twosided
    {
        map textures/executor/hyper
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR
tcMod scroll -1.5 3.5
glow
    }
}

3. In Your map you made a box with the black texture around. In the middle You put your ship. The ship will be in the cilinder that verts are merged together on both sides. You leave the middle part of cilinder like it was at the start. In the end You put the misc_skyportal. Everything You see here will be in the skybox and we want this to be very huge and be part of the background.. not the map.
4. add the blue light in the skybox 
5.compile the map and:

18gmJQt.jpg
fx5ieRU.jpg
i2uglOd.jpg

These two pics shows how i made this.
Ld8rdub.jpg
GTxb1nO.jpg

Edited by Langerd
Noodle, ZanderNao, Jeff and 3 others like this
  • 2 months later...

I made something like this in my hyperblast map 

Just make a skybox (the other box outside your main map) inside this box make a cilinder with the flashing texture that scrolls. I will try this now on my executor map and see how it looks

EDIT: OK!!! Now how to do this because it went better than i expected:

1. Texture i made - some blue and in some places white splatters.Just this blue hyperspace energy

2. Shader like this - 

textures/executor/hyper
{
q3map_nolightmap
surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nonsolid
cull twosided
    {
        map textures/executor/hyper
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR
tcMod scroll -1.5 3.5
glow
    }
}

3. In Your map you made a box with the black texture around. In the middle You put your ship. The ship will be in the cilinder that verts are merged together on both sides. You leave the middle part of cilinder like it was at the start. In the end You put the misc_skyportal. Everything You see here will be in the skybox and we want this to be very huge and be part of the background.. not the map.

4. add the blue light in the skybox 

5.compile the map and:

Or is there a chance you could release your map since it turned out so perfect? I mean you really managed to capture the hyperspace bubble perfectly!