Entity Limit Checker?

Alright so I just want to make sure I play it safe with JH3, i know maps can only have 1024 active entities in a map at a time, and 256 entities active in say one portaled off area at a time.. I believe that doesn't count Misc Model's and Misc model statics, but other shit. They really need a more precise list of this some where on the tutorial section, what counts and doesn't count and how certain situations may change this. 
Any ways back to my main question is there a Cvar to show me how many entities are running in my map actively?

On the note of portalling (areportal doors etc) if entities are areaportaled off and not even running atm (no ones in the room) whilst on a server do they still count against the active entity check list?

Also i have one question - this limit means in game or in the compiling the map? If info_null are not count in the game does it means that info_notnull is in the game? How many enities can be in game? It is always mystery for me mostly because when player is one room - the map that is optimized in good way will load eveything only in this room but not on entire map. 

This was always weird for me..

now i not remember exactly the complete answer that did @@eezstreet to this question.

On GtkRadiant every entity count for what i know, incluse worldspawn.

on engine instead, misc_model become structural geometry (if they are marked as solid), light not count and also info_null not count.

every other entity counts.  (triggers, NPCs, ammo, items, targets, funcs, etc )

Langerd likes this

All entities count during compile but that HARD limit is 4096, but theirs say a Light entity limit (not applicable to shader lights) That's why most folks use shader driven lighting and just a few entity ones here and there for special circumstance. Asgarath is correct about Misc model, sadly though there is a light entity limit. A lot of folks think theirs not but sadly there really is.. I've ran into it a few times. Then again I had like 4k light entities.
In game is another issue though, there lights dont count as they're just markers really for illumintion information for the engine to bake into the surfaces. I believe misc model doesn't as asgarath mentioned. Info null and not null dont count either, and I could be wrong but I believe target position doesn't either as again sort of like lights it's just a cord ref. 

What Im more or less looking for is maybe a Cvar like R_speeds that gives me some information on the entity count atm during game play. So far all reserch has yeilded nothing. Which si weird as it seems like some thign you would want for building SP bs in Q3 games.

Like you Langerd  I'm a bit confused if it means the map overall or just in said active area's visible to the player(s).

• 3 weeks later...

There is an important distinction to be made between the maximum entity limit, and the maximum number that can be rendered in one area. They are completely unrelated.

When you are referring to the number of entities than can be rendered in a single area, misc_model and misc_model_static do count, as I've had many issues with them in the past. Target_ entities also count. If you want to be safe, you should move as many target_ entities as possible outside the map and surround them with a hollow box of caulk.

To check your map against the maximum entity limit, just bind a key to spawn mutant rancors and count how many you can spawn before the game crashes. For lack of a better tool, at least it works. 

There is an important distinction to be made between the maximum entity limit, and the maximum number that can be rendered in one area. They are completely unrelated.

When you are referring to the number of entities than can be rendered in a single area, misc_model and misc_model_static do count, as I've had many issues with them in the past. Target_ entities also count. If you want to be safe, you should move as many target_ entities as possible outside the map and surround them with a hollow box of caulk.

To check your map against the maximum entity limit, just bind a key to spawn mutant rancors and count how many you can spawn before the game crashes. For lack of a better tool, at least it works. 

Yes, i noticed some overchanging about that in a map where i get a cathedral doing entirely by MD3 building prefabs. with indoors full of misc_model objects. after i builded all colliders with physic clip manually (argh! how i hate that of JKA \ Radiant >.< how i desire a nice autocollide system of q3map2 for misc_models ) i noticed a large fps drop when player is inside the map areas more full of map objects entities. (maybe i need to place some area portal shader? i placed hint shaders in strategic points of hallways, but they not fixed the problem)

Yes, i noticed some overchanging about that in a map where i get a cathedral doing entirely by MD3 building prefabs. with indoors full of misc_model objects. after i builded all colliders with physic clip manually (argh! how i hate that of JKA \ Radiant >.< how i desire a nice autocollide system of q3map2 for misc_models ) i noticed a large fps drop when player is inside the map areas more full of map objects entities. (maybe i need to place some area portal shader? i placed hint shaders in strategic points of hallways, but they not fixed the problem)

You don't just need areaportal and hint. You need to make structural walls to hide what's inside the building. On top of which, unless things have changed in the years I've been gone, building something that large out of models is a very bad idea in any Quake 3 game. ;)

The part of the original question I was addressing is, there is a hard-coded limit of 256 entities that can be in the same visible area as the player. They don't have to be in front of the player - they can be anywhere. In most cases, good vis practice will fix the issue. I was merely pointing out that it is beneficial to put target_ entities outside in a completely sealed place, because they are invisible but still count toward that limit. (Except target_speaker and target_position obviously. Those need to stay.)

If you're interested in knowing the number of entities in the game server, use the command /entitylist

Target entities will usually not matter for pvs limit because they aren't sent to clients unless they do something, like a speaker and possibly a location. Though in OpenJK game code, locations don't count towards entity limit.

Info null is a compiler only entity for light directions. Not null stays and is identical to Target position.