Making EffectsED render md3 models

Go to solution Solved by minilogoguy18,

I'm starting this topic as a call for assistance on how to get EffectsEd to render md3 models attached to an emitter. While the produced effects work fine ingame, I only get a black box placeholder in EffectsEd. Is this behaviour correct or the result of misconfiguration of my setup?

Thanks in advance

BR

mjt

I'm starting this topic as a call for assistance on how to get EffectsEd to render md3 models attached to an emitter. While the produced effects work fine ingame, I only get a black box placeholder in EffectsEd. Is this behaviour correct or the result of misconfiguration of my setup?

Thanks in advance

BR

mjt

I had a loooot problems with that program.. I suggest to check the paths because they can impact not only on shaders but on models as well.

I had a loooot problems with that program.. I suggest to check the paths because they can impact not only on shaders but on models as well.

me too ever seen a black box in emitters md3 attached model.

i fear is the program, there nothing to do. effect ed cannot render a model.

effect editor is not a nice effect editor, but is ever better that write with hand on notepad.

also effect editor is hateful because cannot reproduce md3 sounds of effect but only wav formats  and cannot process some kind of shaders -,-

another hateful think is realted to md3 emitter too: is impossible to see in program with this stupid blackbox, if the emitted model is corrected aligned. i did an effect of throwed knives in past and i become madness for put knifes md3 models into projectile in the correct position and angle.

So to describe what was happening. I installed GOG version of JKA to the stock path provided from GOG, then I unpacked the SDK to the GameData Folder as ..\GameData\GTK and set the paths inside EffectsED. Then I proceeded to unpack the assets from 0 to 4 overwriting the older content. I then proceeded to open r5d2head.efx

That file links to some md3 of a droids head to pop off when destroyed. The model should load in EffectsED and follow the physics simulation and the sound should play along.

Sadly EffectsED cannot handle mp3 files only wav and that aside the md3 model isn't loaded.

I have no experience with models in the id Tech 3 Engine and no idea where to check for relative paths inside md3 files. I am not using any 3D program at the moment and just wanted to check what's wrong with the model not rendering in EffectsED. I was planning on loading a model through an emitter that would stay static and build my actual efx around the model base.

That  apparently is not so easy after all.

BR

• Solution

I already gave you the relative paths that all the games original assets use...

C:\base\ or whatever HDD you want to use but the base folder should be on the root of the HDD.

I know that the game may be installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData and radiant may try to install everything in that destination but it's WAY easier to use the root location. Some of the games tools only work when using the root of the drive, for example Assimilate and carcass.exe for compiling animated GLM/GLA models.

I also tried that. I copied the base folder with extracted Assets to C and installed the GTK to C:\GTK however the paths settings of the apps seem to be stuck in the registry somewhere.