Blender - Weight paint problem

Well everything worked fine... Because i moved all my files to the new computer. So today i wanted to do some animations ^^ 
But ..... for some reason - weight paint doesnt work properly... I tried to google the problem but no help. So i am making this topic..

When i want to use the weight paint tool it doesnt fill many vertexes... it is just doing it randomly.. some are covered the other just stay blue...  
So i thought - maybe something is screde up with my blend files or models? 

I started new file made a cube... and just wanted to paint it completely full on red... I CANT.. Half is blue and half is red... i cant paint blue part.... 

It is for some reason... the top i cant and lower part i cant... it is strange ... 

Pls Help me! I wanted to animate something today but without this i cant...

Firstly I believe you need to make sure you're using either the "Add" and "Subtract" to paint your vertices. Dunno what the other options do, but that's what I use and it works fine.

Make sure that the armature is all good. You wanna select all of your objects, then select the skeleton as the active selection, meaning to select it last so that the objects are dark orange, and the skeleton is light orange. Once selected properly, press CTRL + P, and click, first of all, "With Automatic Weights". What this means, is that blender will try its best to weight the character properly. I won't be good, but it'll allow you to test if the weights are even working in the first place by posing your skeleton. Once that works, you can undo or open the file again, and reselect everything, hit CTRL + P, then click "With Empty Groups". You can stick with the Automatic Weights if you wish and fix it up, but I prefer doing it from scratch. Either way, you probably should test with "empty groups" and see if you can paint the weights now.

Let us know if that fixes it. I dunno if it will, but this is just to make sure you have everything set up properly to start weight painting. :)

ooeJack

Firstly I believe you need to make sure you're using either the "Add" and "Subtract" to paint your vertices. Dunno what the other options do, but that's what I use and it works fine.

Make sure that the armature is all good. You wanna select all of your objects, then select the skeleton as the active selection, meaning to select it last so that the objects are dark orange, and the skeleton is light orange. Once selected properly, press CTRL + P, and click, first of all, "With Automatic Weights". What this means, is that blender will try its best to weight the character properly. I won't be good, but it'll allow you to test if the weights are even working in the first place by posing your skeleton. Once that works, you can undo or open the file again, and reselect everything, hit CTRL + P, then click "With Empty Groups". You can stick with the Automatic Weights if you wish and fix it up, but I prefer doing it from scratch. Either way, you probably should test with "empty groups" and see if you can paint the weights now.

Let us know if that fixes it. I dunno if it will, but this is just to make sure you have everything set up properly to start weight painting. :)

ooeJack

No... I know how to weight but what i want to say is that I CANT paint. There is somethig wrong with Blender or drivers...  When I want just paint it doesnt paint anything.. i dont care abeout bones .. i just cant make this tool work right...

Here is the video with my problem... - http://sendvid.com/wkgkfqbo

Yes i am clicking the lef mouse button whole the time...

Does it work if you paint the vertexes manually (Edit Mode -> Object Data -> Vertex Groups)?

I am hitting assign (I never used this method before) and whole cube is red.. but i would prefer to fix the weight paint tool :/

Because i checked and yeah... it doesnt work.. the paint tool..

Edited by Langerd

Try updating Blender. It's currently version 2.78. Updating to that version may fix some issues you're having and any other potential problems.

I noticed you're using 'Draw'. Change that to 'Add' and see if that changes anything. Usually I use Add, and Subtract to weight paint.

Also, try setting the object to wireframe mode and trying to weight paint again. Perhaps it's not getting all of the vertices because Blender can't 'see' all the verts. I've had that issue before. Not with weight painting, but with selecting verts.

But update Blender for sure.

Good luck!

Edit: I just did exactly what you did; opened Blender with a box, and started weight painting using "draw", and it's all working fine. I'm on Blender version 2.77.

ooeJack

• 1 month later...

I have a very similar problem:
I can't get weight paint or sculpt to work *at all* in Blender 7.8, and I have been using Blender since 2.X. The thing that I regret is that just 2 days ago, I deleted all previous versions of Blender that I had stored on my hard drive!
I have even gotten out of the program and reloaded it, shut down my computer totally, etc, but I can't get weight paint or sculpt to have any effect at all on my mesh(es).
Can anybody out there help me?

Hmm. All fine in 2.76b:

https://jkhub.org/images/57OvkWW.gifv

Well for mine blender on the newest computer i cant weight half of the cube... in the more complex models, weapons or player models it just paints randomly...

I am doing things on the second older (but not the oldest) computer and everything works fine... maybe older versions of blender dont work well on newest computers or there are some graphics drivers issue.. i dont know :/

Well for mine blender on the newest computer i cant weight half of the cube... in the more complex models, weapons or player models it just paints randomly...

I am doing things on the second older (but not the oldest) computer and everything works fine... maybe older versions of blender dont work well on newest computers or there are some graphics drivers issue.. i dont know :/

If anyone else have Blender problems, feel free to contact me. We will use teamviewer to get rid of your problems.