Dark Forces Remake Mod

I was playing the old Star Wars: Dark Forces game when I remembered that there was a modding team remaking Dark Forces within JKA. I remember playing one of their demos back in the day and being impressed.

Does anyone know what happened to the project? I haven't been able to find much information on the completion of the mod. :huh:

Wondering if anyone here at JKHub has info.

All the information about it can be found here. From what I remember, the developers simply moved on in life.

Some people occasionally post and contribute some mapping, but nothing solid has been released.

Hmm. |:

Well that's too bad. It would have been really awesome to get the full thing. At least there is the 6 level demo they put out some time ago.

----

Also, Razor, I've been using your JA++ mod for sometime now. Great stuff and looking forward to your future work. Kudos!

Yes, they can be enhanced, but too much would lessen the nostalgia of it. The hallways and whatnot can be given a bit more geometric detail, but again, overdoing it will make it a masterpeice at the expense of some of the nostalgia of the old setup. Plus a texture update alone would enhance the map levels by quite a bit already.

Just my 2 cents, is all.

We'll have to agree to disagree - just out of curiosity, have you actually played the Dark Forces Mod demo? The look of the existing Dark Forces Mod maps is absolutely amazing, and they have enough of the original floor plan that they bring back just as much nostalgia as a slightly spruced up remake.

We'll have to agree to disagree - just out of curiosity, have you actually played the Dark Forces Mod demo? The look of the existing Dark Forces Mod maps is absolutely amazing, and they have enough of the original floor plan that they bring back just as much nostalgia as a slightly spruced up remake.

Agreed. This is evident even on the first mission.

I think DF Mod changed the layout of Talay a little bit, but I definitely recognized the key areas and I didn't find it terribly jarring.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing, but everything else was in it's right place.

God. Now I want to go play Dark Forces...

Ditto.

Inyri likes this

Fair enough. I've attempted to play it several times, but always kept crashing/freezing right as the first map was about to load. Reinstall didn't work, redownload failed as well....maybe I'll try to see if I can get it working again, though. They looked neat from the screenshots, too.