OpenRP - Open Source RP Mod

Nice. I've always been a big fan of ojp.

I have some suggestions for the mod:

-For players speaking, what about the text appearing over their heads? (Well maybe not, people may get confused who is saying what if everyone is gathered in one place)

-If the player X is using a comm to contact player Y, other players around player X should be able to hear him talking, but not player Y.

-Ability to adjust your saber strength and length. (with certain restrictions of course)

-This one probably shouldn't be included but....make it so if mercs want to buy weapons, they actually have to go to the shop in a map to buy them.

-Make it so players have to *can* talk to an npc to buy weapons from them. (Then admins can decide where they want the npcs)

-Make a cvar that allows admins to decide whether players are forced to login to play, or can just can spend there points on feats,gunnery,etc. (For those who want to play the mod, but not RP, for whatever reason)

-Make entities pushable, pullable, gripable, etc.

-Have the ability to speak quietly in chat or loudly. (Not sure about this one, but you never know!)

-When targeting a player, have to ability to use a command which tells you their player model, level, etc. (Modifiable by admin)

-I hope you can make the mod playable solo without running a server, because...well that's another story, but please make it playable solo game!!!

I certainly hope the mod will help new players integrate into the RPG and following the mod's rules rather more than strict server rules. (If you know what I mean)

All these suggestions I just thought of today and figured I would post them here. If I come up with any other idea's, I'll post them here :)

-If the player X is using a comm to contact player Y, other players around player X should be able to hear him talking, but not player Y.

Nice suggestion. A few others on the mod team suggested this too. It should be added to the mod sometime this week.

-Ability to adjust your saber strength and length. (with certain restrictions of course)

Not sure about this one. I'll have to see what others say about this.

-Make it so players have to *can* talk to an npc to buy weapons from them. (Then admins can decide where they want the npcs)

Interesting concept. I'm currently working on a console based shop, but I may attempt to implement this if I can and if it's decided it would work well.

-Make a cvar that allows admins to decide whether players are forced to login to play, or can just can spend there points on feats,gunnery,etc. (For those who want to play the mod, but not RP, for whatever reason)

I could do this, but I'm not sure if I would want to, as I'm pretty sure those who don't have the client are susceptible to crashing because they're missing various thingsread

Misread this. This won't be done as the mod is meant solely for RPing. Players need to login to an account and get skill points from admins to get stuff.

There's something like this that was made (not sure by who) called throwable stuff. You spawn objects as NPCs and can push, pull, grip, etc them.

-Have the ability to speak quietly in chat or loudly. (Not sure about this one, but you never know!)

Already in the mod. The mod currently has yell, whisper, and normal speaking options.

-When targeting a player, have to ability to use a command which tells you their player model, level, etc. (Modifiable by admin)

I could see this coming in use.

-I hope you can make the mod playable solo without running a server, because...well that's another story, but please make it playable solo game!!!

This won't be done. The mod needs to connect to an SQLite database to save accounts, characters, etc. In my tests, I think I found I wasn't able to connect to the database using LAN. Making the mod playable solo would require most account based features to be redone. I'm thinking about eventually changing around the database stuff for other reasons, but the mod is meant for RPing on a server with others, so this won't happen.

I certainly hope the mod will help new players integrate into the RPG and following the mod's rules rather more than strict server rules. (If you know what I mean)

There probably will be certain things that you must do the mod intends you to do it, but I like to keep the mod so that it can be customized and used how ever someone wants it to be used. Preventing abuse of features is important, though.

All these suggestions I just thought of today and figured I would post them here. If I come up with any other idea's, I'll post them here :)

Thanks for the suggestions! We're always open to them. If you disagree with any of my disagreements, feel free to try and explain further/change my mind. :)

-For players speaking, what about the text appearing over their heads? (Well maybe not, people may get confused who is saying what if everyone is gathered in one place)

We were definitely thinking about implementing something similar. Another idea we had was to have the names of people be above their heads, kind of like an MMO.

This feature will be added definitely.

We discussed about this just the other day actually. We're going to have a training lightsaber setting (makes it do less damage)

-This one probably shouldn't be included but....make it so if mercs want to buy weapons, they actually have to go to the shop in a map to buy them.

At the moment this feature seems complex and a bit over our heads. But its been talked about and its a feature we want to do. We were thinking about spawning a kiosk that works as an interactive menu or something of the sort.

Same as above

-Make a cvar that allows admins to decide whether players are forced to login to play, or can just can spend there points on feats,gunnery,etc. (For those who want to play the mod, but not RP, for whatever reason)To be fair it is called OpenRP. Right now you make an account such as 'Buz' and give it a password such as 'jkhubfanboy199' and create characters linked to such account by doing /createcharacter tk421 no(asks if force sensitive) none(asks what faction) and dink around with the points by doing /giveskillpoints tk421 999

Throwable stuff does this for us but I'm sure making more wouldnt be too difficult?

We have a /yell and /whisper command that changes the hear distance

We have something similar called characterinfo which displays all of that information including their rank, faction, credits, level, amount of exp

You should be able to play it solo. The database is pretty much a file the game generates. We have the other Jk community in mind for this mod, we don't plan on making it exclusive to New Age RPG

@@Caelum - We have mercs set to jump 0 which is obviously a pretty small jump. I agree, I love good firefights and thats something you cant get with JA+ or base JA. We are aiming to make our gunning work similar to MovieBattles (because lets face it, gunfights in MB2 are pretty badass)

Thanks for your responses.

A while ago, I downloaded legacy RP mod. When I played solo, I managed to create an account but when I tried to log in, the console said: "Onysfx not found".

I also tried creating a dedicated on Lan and connecting to myself, but same thing. (I don't have internet on the comp I play JKA by the way). Tonight I'll try playing a ded set on internet.

More ideas:

-Bring back jk2 infrared goggles (This has probably already been done)

-Make taunts synchronize. (So when one person does a taunt, everyone hears the same one instead of it just being randomized) (Don't really care about this one, just suggesting it.)

-Smooth saber animation transitions

-Vehicles that can fit multiple people. EX: Lukes speeder should be able to fit two people, one driver, one passanger...and maybe two people in the back too :).

-Infinite wall jumping until force runs out. (maybe)

-Npc commands, (suggested this one in makermod) follow, attack, hold position, migrate (Moves npcs to where you are targeting, once there they hold position) and...at ease (let them do w/e) Kinda like the commands from battlefront. You should be able to set the team they are on as well, or certain players that they will attack or befriend.

-Inventory. Not just weapons and sabers, but other stuff, like gems, force holocrons (if you stole one heheh), extra ammo, datapad with info on it that you can examine in the console to look at the text, etc.

-Ability to pick entities up and add them to your inventory, and drop/use/give them later. (excluded things like crates and stuff).

-Buyable armor (actual armor that adds onto the model, no idea how this would work though) (Don't need to add this, just suggesting it).

-Change the forcefield item. (It's just too big(just a little), and there is nothing that is emitting the forcefield)

-Possible ability to carry more bacta tanks as a merc (maybe)

Well, thats all the ideas I just got today, figured I'd post them here. Looking forward to the mod :)

Fighter likes this
-Vehicles that can fit multiple people. EX: Lukes speeder should be able to fit two people, one driver, one passanger...and maybe two people in the back too :).

I'll just point out that this can easily be done by editing any .veh file. Simply add the line "maxPassengers" with a value of your choice for the number of passengers. However, where speeders are concerned this is usually a bad idea. All extra passengers will be invisible, which breaks the immersion of a role-play in progress.

Fighter likes this

I got an interesting suggestion from my friend Kidd. The ability to take someone else's comm with their permission and place it somewhere else, and anyone around where the comm is placed will be able to hear the other end. I'll be working on this along with improving the distance based chat and such. Tonight if an RP happens, I'll try to record it a bit to demonstrate the features in the mod so far.

I got an interesting suggestion from my friend Kidd. The ability to take someone else's comm with their permission and place it somewhere else, and anyone around where the comm is placed will be able to hear the other end. I'll be working on this along with improving the distance based chat and such. Tonight if an RP happens, I'll try to record it a bit to demonstrate the features in the mod so far.

There was an Rp that night. Where the hell were you!? lol

• 2 weeks later...

Without the other perspective, it's hard to appreciate that feature. I'm presuming that the text gets dimmer the further away you are from the player speaking? Or, have you set it up so that you don't see the messages at all until you're within a certain range?

NOT EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE RP MOD

... I'm assuming the latter.

That moment when you realise there was a page 2 of the thread.

This is why I should be sleeping.

hopefully goin to the base sdk wont wreck any planned features :o

It won't. In fact, it will likely speed up development on planned features as we have more knowledge of the systems, and it will fix many bugs that were in OJP.

So fight system will be same as Base? or Ja+ ? Not OJP ?

It'll be a modified version of Base, possibly with new values, manual blocking, etc.

I'd like to see more features, mainly the menus which I don't think would be possible without a clientside download and mods that heavily rely on clientside downloads never stay popular. Right now it looks very similar to Lugormod.

Unfortunately any menus will require a clientside download, but there are always console commands. I'll see what I can do about not requiring a client, but it may be difficult to do, especially once we modify the sabering system. With the amount of security issues out there, it's always a good idea to download a mod's client as some clientsides fix major security issues in JKA. MB2 of course requires a clientside and it has been very popular, and still is fairly popular. As for the similarity to Lugormod, I can see where you're coming from, but as the mod progresses, you'll likely start seeing some unique features.

I'll miss the OJP coding, even if it is viewed as buggy :(

I currently run ojpe 1.2 on my rp server, lol.

Some OJP features we like will be brought over after we look through them, check for bugs in them, and finally, implement them.

Well at least RP servers will have a more proper mod to run, none of them seem to run something like this or lugormod even though it fits way better than JA+.

Hopefully this brings more servers with this gametype, always loved the leveling and money system of lugormod, gave a very dynamic feel to the game rather than running around mindlessly in a JA+ FFA server.

Are you going to implement any object placement like lugormod? Seems to help keep players on servers since you can run base maps without a need to download and heavily modify them so they feel like a new map.

Guest Ory'Hara

Cool, I'll be glad to see some features of OJPE will still be in play in RPMod.

still not sure how fancy it'll actuallu be since your trying to make it so it doesnt require a client side like it did before, but the client i did have was outdated when i tried to enter that openrp server :o