Map is Leaking Even Though It's Only misc_models in a Skybox

Okay so now I'm quite puzzled.

During my first tests I just did a simple compile of BSP and -meta and the map ran fine, now that I've created the lighting shaders for the texture on the parts of the model I decided to do a proper compile and was dismayed to find that the misc_model entities were leaking through the skybox even though that's the only brush in the map. I have made sure that the skybox is a structural brush and even deleted the wall it was leaking through and remade it but to no avail.

Because of the seemingly uncaused leak it's stopping the Load Portal from loading (ironic) and thus the rest of the compile can't take place. I have also tried putting another caulk box around it but it decided to leak through that too.

Are there any commands or anything I can put in the worldspawn to help counteract this leak? The map so far is fairly medium size so it's not completely massive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Okay so now I'm quite puzzled.

During my first tests I just did a simple compile of BSP and -meta and the map ran fine, now that I've created the lighting shaders for the texture on the parts of the model I decided to do a proper compile and was dismayed to find that the misc_model entities were leaking through the skybox even though that's the only brush in the map. I have made sure that the skybox is a structural brush and even deleted the wall it was leaking through and remade it but to no avail.

Because of the seemingly uncaused leak it's stopping the Load Portal from loading (ironic) and thus the rest of the compile can't take place. I have also tried putting another caulk box around it but it decided to leak through that too.

Are there any commands or anything I can put in the worldspawn to help counteract this leak? The map so far is fairly medium size so it's not completely massive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Make a skybox with a laaaarge rectangular box that contain ALL your map.

2: click on make hollow, so the big rectangular become a six faced box.

3: use system caulk for the skybox

4: use for the six inner face of the skybox the skies/ sky or your custom sky shader.

5: use angle editor or edge editor for extrude at lot into the outside direction the brushes of the six walls that make the skybox. i fix this trouble with a simply extrustion and a more big large dimension of the six skybox walls. :)  you need to extrude into the grid view once brushes  for time, not extrude more brush at same time, you can deform too much and this can take troubles because brush can degenerate.

@@Asgarath83 I think I understand what you're saying, if I increase the thickness of each of the surrounding brushes then that'll stop the leak, yeah?

Yes, with me this works. i not now why but a skybox too thicky leakend the map. i suppose that engine not considere "solid" the brush with not enought thickness. some days ago i make a room with a floor. the player falling thorught the floor, like is not solid... with an increasing of thickness, i solve the problem. i suppose for the skybox is something like that. maybe the engine read the too thicky brushes as "degenerated" and so sign the leak.

If you pay attention, there should be a red box outline around the misc_model. As long as this doesn't intersect with any structural brushes touching the void, you'll be fine.

However...

When caused by a misc_model, the message can safely be ignored because it doesn't halt the compilation process prematurely.

If you pay attention, there should be a red box outline around the misc_model. As long as this doesn't intersect with any structural brushes touching the void, you'll be fine.

Are you sure? I think I once had a misc_model going out in the void with no problem at all, except for shadows where it touches the void.

Are you sure? I think I once had a misc_model going out in the void with no problem at all, except for shadows where it touches the void.

Yeah, you'll get the Entity Leaked error that mrwonko describes though, which isn't the same thing as a Map Leaked error.

The map Leaking error is a big trouble. because is impossible to make a light build of a leaked map. just you can do only the meta build of the brushes for see a map testing \ preview without any light and shadows. i ever work into the beta when i build \ edit a map. ai use light build just when i end the brushes part of works.

however, for fix the entity leak, is sufficient to move the entity. this problem occurs when an entity (misc_model, target, NPC , spawner, items etc )is inside a brush. simply you need to move this entity outside of brush face \ edges for fix this.

map leak is more complicated. if you have a leak into the map you can see when building get the error a red line that go toward the map, by an entity, to the point of leaking. the cause of map liking is that map have not a skybox full filled or that not all outside surfaces of brush are covered with "caulk" shader.

the fastest way for fix the map leak trobuel is to create a large brush box that contain all map, make it hollow for make a box, and working on the thickness of the six faces of the boxes, extruding outside a lot. also few map units is suffificnet.

then, use caulk for textures this box and use a sky shader inside the box.

map leaking fixed. :)

More like Map Leaked hidden. Don't ever "solve" this by making a box, go and plug the holes or your vis will turn out shit.

and so is a problem of leaked vis? and for fix really need to find any brushes that leaking the vis and fix it? 

thanks for knowledge.

the box method is just a fast arrandjement for hallow the light build. sure is not the more technically correct method.

Sometimes the big box cannot be avoid. Depends on the map. BUT of course making WHOLE map in one box is just bad making the maps... I made the Cloudy one this way and it was a very big mistake. The compile time is just ... TOOOOOooo long. And as the Mrwonko said ... The Vis doesnt exist. So for the game maps like this would be laggy as hell.

It cant touch the skybox. The misc_models can touch the brushes. Even if the radiant show us the error it still compiles the map.

Upload map here. Maybe someone will find the solution :)

Sometimes the big box cannot be avoid. Depends on the map. BUT of course making WHOLE map in one box is just bad making the maps... I made the Cloudy one this way and it was a very big mistake. The compile time is just ... TOOOOOooo long. And as the Mrwonko said ... The Vis doesnt exist. So for the game maps like this would be laggy as hell.

It cant touch the skybox. The misc_models can touch the brushes. Even if the radiant show us the error it still compiles the map.

Upload map here. Maybe someone will find the solution :)

thanks for explanation, langerd. and so, whan can i do for some of my maps? i need to caulk every outside face of every brush of the map? o.o how is possible to close a leak map manually without begin crazy?

for example the maps with ships... This is in the big box. It is possible to cut it with the Vis but the most part it is in the big box

In that case the actual geometry is a box. I did not say "don't have boxes", I said "don't fix leaks in your geometry by putting a giant box around it".

However...

When caused by a misc_model, the message can safely be ignored because it doesn't halt the compilation process prematurely.

To clarify,It has nothing to do with the red box of a surrounding model that will cause an entity leak error, it is the origin of the model intersecting a structural brush that makes this happen.  Entity leak error will show what entity leaks if it has one, find the origin of the model and make sure that isn't instersecting a structural brush/  Most people make the origin at the bottom of a model, some trees in JK2 and 3 the origin is at the middle of the tree so the "red box" can intersect a structural brush.  Some models used as a lamp may intersect or occupy the same space in a wall as the structural brush.

So locate the origin of the model and disregard the "red box".  Make sure model origins don't intersect structural brushes.  (It's the little 3D "plus sign" each model has which is the origin of the model)

Langerd, Asgarath83 and mrwonko like this