How many non US/UK players in JKA?

Does anyone have any idea how many of JKA players nowadays are not from the UK/US? Or rather, how many players who use keyboard characters other than the basic latin alphabet (a, b, c, etc without any extra marks like umlauts or accents)?

There's an outstanding issue in OpenJK where only key characters from the basic alphabet work, which I'm debating whether to fix or not before the first release. Fixing it would mean delaying the first release, but would mean more people can use it. How many people roughly is what I'm wondering...

A smaller percentage, but a player base regardless. Australia here, though we use the same keyboard...

(@@Caelum, are you sure some of those are not through public network proxys?)

But if OpenJK hasn't had support for this so far, I would recommend going without it for the 1.0 release. Perhaps 1.1 can provide a fix for it.

Don't try to squeeze everything into 1.0, or it will take a lifetime to release.

I've been roleplaying with JK3 as the platform for almost 7 years in Polish, and I've never seen lack of Polish letters as a problem. When the medium itself doesn't allow that, you get used to it and after not more than a week, the text without Polish diacritics looks normal. I honestly think it just shouldn't matter at all for most of the languages using Latin-extended glyphs, because they're not mandatory to communicate, and people get used to lacking these.

Obviously, it's more difficult when talking about languages that use their own alphabets, but as Jedi Academy itself didn't support them, I don't see why it should be required for OpenJK to have it for the first official release. A nice addon for the feature releases, definitely, yes. However, many of the modern games still have problems with extended glyphs, so it shouldn't bother that "new Jedi Academy" lacks it. Adding the fact that JK3 itself never had it, nope, there is nothing to support the notion that these things should be a requirement for 1.0 in my opinion.

Cerez, minilogoguy18 and Avidhal like this

French, German, Italiano and some others (Chinese, North Korea ?) need extra marks like umlauts or accents.

It will be really useful if you can fix it.

I don't know how Asian language is handled, but I know that if you do /se_language "Japanese" in the console, very bizarre lesbehavior occurs in the font renderring routine. There's actually three or four .fontdat files which are missing from the assets.

You can translate the game into more languages than French and German. Don't hold me to this, but setting /se_language "Russian" might allow for an extended Cyrillic character set. Course, the .fontdat file is missing, so you'll probably have missing characters.

A lot of German, Russian, Polish, Czech and Hungarian players. I would be actually surprised if there were more UK/US than EU players (but I wasn't active for a long time so I could be wrong).

Grab likes this

A lot of German, Russian, Polish, Czech and Hungarian players. I would be actually surprised if there were more UK/US than EU players (but I wasn't active for a long time so I could be wrong).

That was my thinking as well. I was looking for a few more people who might have a more solid idea :)

But if OpenJK hasn't had support for this so far, I would recommend going without it for the 1.0 release. Perhaps 1.1 can provide a fix for it.

Don't try to squeeze everything into 1.0, or it will take a lifetime to release.

It's something we broke when moving over to SDL2 support across all platforms. This is the only/last bug which I wasn't sure whether to hold back on so it's not like we're trying to cram everything in :P Anyhow, I decided to go in and have a look at fixing it and the solution doesn't look like too much work.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Cerez and Archangel35757 like this

I've been roleplaying with JK3 as the platform for almost 7 years in Polish, and I've never seen lack of Polish letters as a problem. When the medium itself doesn't allow that, you get used to it and after not more than a week, the text without Polish diacritics looks normal. I honestly think it just shouldn't matter at all for most of the languages using Latin-extended glyphs, because they're not mandatory to communicate, and people get used to lacking these.

Obviously, it's more difficult when talking about languages that use their own alphabets, but as Jedi Academy itself didn't support them, I don't see why it should be required for OpenJK to have it for the first official release. A nice addon for the feature releases, definitely, yes. However, many of the modern games still have problems with extended glyphs, so it shouldn't bother that "new Jedi Academy" lacks it. Adding the fact that JK3 itself never had it, nope, there is nothing to support the notion that these things should be a requirement for 1.0 in my opinion.

Polac temu panu

Bart likes this
  • 2 weeks later...