Windows 10

• 9 months later...

Bumping this well, I wanna know what people think.

It hits the streets on the 29th (at least in the US) and for the first year as almost everyone knows will be a free upgrade. Who's gonna take the free upgrade? I will mainly because my user account amongst some other things are borked and I don't feel like fixing it. Another thing is that the handling of resources is supposed to be way better, 8 vs 7 on the same machine runs things like games faster, 10 is supposed to be even better.

Linux or OSX are not options for me, mainly because software I use doesn't work on them.

yeah, I think this is with the GNOME desktop. When I dualbooted with Mandriva 09' it was a really cool feature.

That's actually Compiz Fusion, not Gnome. Lots of great candy on Linux. ^_^

Another thing is that the handling of resources is supposed to be way better, 8 vs 7 on the same machine runs things like games faster, 10 is supposed to be even better.

Linux or OSX are not options for me, mainly because software I use doesn't work on them.

I still think 7 is best for work, mini. The more into the app store craze, the worse the OS is as a workstation (and the worse the resource management since the focus in design is on app sales, not working efficiency).

Personally, I'll be avoiding 10 like the plague for as long as I can. It's also a good idea to hold off on upgrading to newer releases until the new releases go through their initial mis-feature and bug corrections, anyway.

Also, the next computer you buy will have the latest version of Windows forced onto you anyhow...

Custom assembling. I used to buy off the shelf towers and just upgrade them but I'm tired of being limited by the motherboards BIOS so I've started to just build from scratch. Next one will just be a selected motherboad and utilizing shelf tower accessories since they're still worth using, like the video card, processor, RAM and such.

Cerez likes this
  • 1 month later...

*faceplant* ... Say hello to Big Brother...

I hereby predict that in a few years' time all Microsoft and Apple computers will behave much like gaming consoles: closed and restricted -- hackable, but with drawbacks.

Linux = Salvation for the (PC) world!

I'm planning to buy a brand new laptop and I will put Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit on it. I don't like how you have no say in what updates get pushed onto you as well as their invasive policing in Windows 10.

Another reason to stay with Windows 7... and possibly upgrade to Windows 8 in the somewhat near future.

No reason to use Windows 10 unless you want Microsoft telling you what you can and can't do on your own computer. 

Cerez likes this

Any particular reason as to why their trying to force corporate spyware on even windows 7, 8 and 8.1 I think its just plain silly.Whats the point of a spyware program are they afraid of something.All you do is just hide it anyway.