New Modview

It works! That 'platforms' directory looks like it has done the trick. Looking good so far, am liking the extra touches. Things like visible floors There are a couple of things that I noticed right away though;

- For models that have multiple varieties with surfaces, etc (such as the Clonetrooper packs), this version of Modview does not seem able to read when a particular surface has been turned off in the .skin file, instead choosing to load all surfaces on a model regardless of the skin - leading to a lot of untextured white surfaces being activated.

- No option to 'Prompt for GLA overrides during GLM load'. Will this feature be included in a future version?

- No option to view surfaces as double-sided or not.

It also feels like this version loads more quickly and smoothly than the base version, which is always a plus!

Hooray, fourth time is the charm :P I'm pretty sure I had surface hiding working at some point. I've probably broken it, but it should be an easy fix. I didn't think anybody used the GLA override so it's not included in the user interface. It's easy enough to add back in - the code's still there, it's just not accessible. And I think the double-sided thing was removed in anticipation of working shaders. I'll add it back in for the time being.

Mac version opens successfully and I opened a model, but surfed off parts of models aren't actually hidden. Not sure if that's something you have yet to get to or not. Excellent work so far though!

Feel free to use the icon I made for my Wine version by the way, or let me know if you want me to make a new one:

Yay, first time is the charm on Mac :P I think the you're describing the same problem as @@Kualan. Should be an easy fix!

And yes, I was looking for a new/better logo. I'm not sure whether I like the M and V logo or if it can be made to look a bit more stylized some how.

I'm probably the only one who makes regular use of the GLA override feature (it's really useful for machinima) but if it's an easy feature to add back in it'd be greatly appreciated! 

Great job on this overall. Not encountered any actual bugs or crashes so far.

Great to finally see models like chewie in modview properly without having to tweak them in photoshop afterwards testing out my cut & paste skills xD

One thing i've noticed is that it crashes when attaching a weapon to a loaded model; I usually load a hilt model to r_hand then a blade to that loaded model but it crashed on the first step.

I could vector up a logo if you had some ideas, otherwise I could see what a few of us can get together with ideas and make some logo ideas for you :P

Omicron and Circa like this

Minor update!

Windows: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/JKHub/ModView-Win32-05112014.zip

OSX: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/JKHub/ModView-OSX-05112014.zip

Changes:

* Fix crash when attaching models.

* Fix drawing white surfaces when they were marked with *off.

I haven't quite got as far as adding the attached model to the menu in the left pane.

Edited by Xycaleth

Yeah no issues here on windows side either, I can confirm that the crash when attaching a model to a tag is fixed, but i'll wait until they get added to the left panel to test properly as I attach a model to a model that has been attached already to a tag of the model loaded initially (xD). Not sure if anyone's mentioned yet but .ideal files load fine with models aswell, those that save the zoom and angle of a session in modview.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot to reply to this post!

It should be possible to make a Mac version of MD3View. I did have plans to integrate MD3 formats into ModView, but ModView itself is on the back burner at the moment as I'm struggling to find time. I do hope to come back to this at some point though.

Circa likes this
  • 6 months later...

I think the problem you'll have with making ModView open MD3 files is that the transforms are different between the formats. If you open 2 of the same model in both formats in both programs and turn on the option that lets you see the transform axis you'll see what I mean, I can kinda demonstrate with this tag picture as they're handled differently as well between the 2 formats. You'd probably just save yourself loads of time just keeping it 2 separate programs and improving on their functionality.

JnJQGxJ.png

Hey i might asking the wrong question and to look stupid, but even that i understand it's a very hard work to create something like this and all the time coding, I've gotta ask...
Is it possible to add a function/button, that allows the users to decide if they want to see the character inside ModView with or without the model's shader? Cuz if they wanna test something with the shaders it would require to open JKA, start the mission, spawn the model and do this like 100 times until they reach what they want from the shader?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@@Xycaleth -- I just now downloaded your latest build for ModView Windows ( https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/JKHub/ModView-Win32-05112014.zip ) and when I extract the contents to a folder on my desktop and attempt to run ModView I get a "not a valid win32 application" error on my Windows XP x64 machine.  Previous version does the same thing.

Dependency Walker states:

Popup message:  Errors were detected when processing "c:\temp\modview-win32-05112014\Modview.exe".  See the log window for details.

Log Window:

Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

It works for others... any ideas?

Just off the bat it sounds like it was probably compiled without XP support.  eg:

7444.BlogPic.png

Well that sucks... isn't there a way to also have it target Windows XP during compilation (as long as you have the VS2010 runtime installed on the target PC)?  I think the tools should still work for Windows XP like the original tools do.

Well that sucks... isn't there a way to also have it target Windows XP during compilation (as long as you have the VS2010 runtime installed on the target PC)?  I think the tools should still work for Windows XP like the original tools do.

If you change the platform toolset with VS2010 - VS2013 (and maybe VS2015, not sure haven't tried it yet) to include xp mode it should work.

Archangel35757 likes this

JKG Developer

• 8 months later...