Djosers Puzzle - A Simple standalone puzzle/jump game

Hi, I'm currently working on a standalone puzzle/jump (and run) singleplayer game. It will be first person only and won't have any kind of weapons/force/enemies etc.

For this project there is no urgent need for any kind of animations or (player/weapon-) models.

I didn't start on the actual maps yet (except for some concepts) but what I did so far are some simple but necessary code edits and the complete menu (from scratch). So the only thing that really needs to be done now are the maps which will obviously also be the most time consuming part. The code is based on the openJK JA-multiplayer btw.

Anyone who wants to contribute, even if just with ideas is welcome.

18ed75200e.jpg66246761d9.jpg

I will show you some of my map ideas soon cause you probably don't really know what I'm about atm. But if enough people are interested I'd like to make this some kind of open project where everyone can contribute stuff. It's not meant to be a complete game with a story but more of a collection of fun levels.

Cerez, Boothand and CaptainCrazy like this

That's actually a great idea!

of course it is, that's why I suggested it... B)

I was thinking of this type of project when mine was over with. Just random rooms with different challenges in them. Kinda like Portal without the portal gun. Give each room a number. They can all have different themes, can be indoor or outdoor, since each room is a new area. Hardest part would be trying to figure out the challenges themselves. 

Hi, I'm currently working on a standalone puzzle/jump (and run) singleplayer game. It will be first person only and won't have any kind of weapons/force/enemies etc.

For this project there is no urgent need for any kind of animations or (player/weapon-) models.

I didn't start on the actual maps yet (except for some concepts) but what I did so far are some simple but necessary code edits and the complete menu (from scratch). So the only thing that really needs to be done now are the maps which will obviously also be the most time consuming part. The code is based on the openJK JA-multiplayer btw.

Anyone who wants to contribute, even if just with ideas is welcome.

18ed75200e.jpg66246761d9.jpg

I will show you some of my map ideas soon cause you probably don't really know what I'm about atm. But if enough people are interested I'd like to make this some kind of open project where everyone can contribute stuff. It's not meant to be a complete game with a story but more of a collection of fun levels.

OH, here is another really good one. Remeber in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Indy had to spell Jehovah and all the tiles had letters on it. You can have a section where you have to do something like that, but it Star Wars lettering or something.

Circa and afi like this

Yep, there are many maps like this made for JKA from over the years. Trick Arena is one that comes to mind, though it's mostly just strafing challenges.

Know who made trick arena/race arena? Should totally get them uploaded here L.png

EDIT: See, I'm not lazy! >.>

Since I'm using the multiplayer code there is no datapad but I wanted one so I implemented my own one.

However, I want to make it as easy as possible to add a mapinfo to the map, so I impelemented a new kind of file. Put a textfile with the exact name of the map into base/mapinfo and the text on the datapad will use the text in the textfiles and will automatically change it depending on which map you're on.

hmtvmoa8.jpg

Thanks! I've added a speedometer (cg_drawspeed, cg_drawspeedx and cg_drawspeedy) and some new cvars (g_strafejumping and g_forcejumping). I should probably add something for adjusting the size of the speedometer.

Thanks! Not that big actually, the walls are really high though. I think the map is even too easy atm, will have to do some testing :)

Also, I've added map-specific cfgs which means you can create configs (and put them into base/mapcfg), give them the same name as your map and they will automatically be loaded by the game when you start the map. With that pretty much of all of the coding that I had planned is actually finished now. Something that I would like to have are movable objects but I don't even know if that's possible in this engine the way I want it.

Btw, the name of the game will probably be "Djosers Puzzle". I wanted to name it after a pharaoh and I really like that name.

Circa likes this

I'm working on some jump levels now. This is some really easy first test:

34j8zh3.jpg

This one is without strafe-jumping. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do maps for strafejumping anyway, since I'm not quite a pro in strafing.

Something that I plan to implement is some kind of highscore-table. Not sure how I'm going to do this but it's on my list

I wouldn't even include it. What you have to do is find the limits of how far a player can jump and what, if any, force jumping ability they are going to have. Then its just a matter finding the distances the player can and cannot make. Then, space things out accordingly. Some jumps are easy to make. Some are going to be like old NES games. If your not on the right pixel when you jump, you are dead! hehehe.

This is not planned atm because of the lack of models and animations. If someone would want to help me out though then why not

I've also added a timelimit-system to the game that will end the game when you're too slow. Not sure if I will keep it but it's optional anyway.

What I really need is some kind of triggered script that will open a menu when you finished the map

While this map is not really big it's still quite hard to finish. But it's fun! It took me actually over 20 minutes to finish it due to the fact that you have to start from the beginning everytime you fall down. If you're fast you can probably finish it in 1-2 minutes

5104d79bc3.jpg

therfiles and z3filus like this

While this map is not really big it's still quite hard to finish. But it's fun! It took me actually over 20 minutes to finish it due to the fact that you have to start from the beginning everytime you fall down. If you're fast you can probably finish it in 1-2 minutes

5104d79bc3.jpg

Do any of those platforms move?