Switching models heads and arms

Hey there!

I'm trying to modify a skin of Delta Squad, wanted to put anakin and obiwan HS' heads in the body of the clones, OR put the arms and legs of the Delta Squad on a jedi skin, but I do not know how to do this ... I tried to import the skin of the face but it got really ugly. There is some way to swap the heads of the two models?

Thank you!

It's a simple work? I've never modelled before to be true, but after the weighing i have to redo all the skinning?

And only another question, what's the best program for do that??? It's Blender?

Thank you very much!

It's a simple work? I've never modelled before to be true, but after the weighing i have to redo all the skinning?

And only another question, what's the best program for do that??? It's Blender?

Thank you very much!

There are many programs to do that (Blender, Maya, 3D Studio Max for example).

But trust me, the whole process is much more complicated than you think.

If you never modelled before, it may be very difficult for you. You need the skills and

the patience to do that.

You need to get blender and mr.wonko's glm importer for blender. 

import your glm. unparent the model part you want after selecting it.

parent the model part to torso_0

rescale it with 1,1,1 then move it around to fit the model.

export it and edit the skin file to have the part names you have attached.

It's that simple. You don't have to re-weight it.

Circa likes this

You need to get blender and mr.wonko's glm importer for blender. 

import your glm. unparent the model part you want after selecting it.

parent the model part to torso_0

rescale it with 1,1,1 then move it around to fit the model.

export it and edit the skin file to have the part names you have attached.

It's that simple. You don't have to re-weight it.

I didn't realise it was so straightforward, would you be willing to make a slightly more in-depth post on the process aimed at someone who has never used Blender before? (i.e. would need instruction on how exactly to parent/unparent certain model parts, etc).

If you use Blender, simply import the model and follow istruction of the others.

if you use 3D studio max... ehm,,

1 - import the model

2 - import JKA skeleton of Psyk0Sith, i learn my Frankenstein modelling skills ( :D ) thanks to his tutorials by myself.

3 - scale the JKA imported model for merge with skeleton, yu need toi merge model and skeleton in the same scene.

4 - now destroy the hierarchy of the model and delete all the mesh with * at start of name, the tags are unuseful because yu use the skeleton tags.

5 - okay, now the frankenstein merging work of the other parts you need, very fun on the suturation part of the work of the vetx of edge of body part (argh!)

6 - well! now , if the model have not the caps, yoyu can make the caps for dismemberment selecting edge of the meshes, extruding, and scaling at  0 0 0 at that's point, you can select the face of the "trinagles of the "orange lemon pieces" you make and detach and rename as the cap. after you make the basic eight caps, you copy hit, and flip the surfaces.

7 - after every scaling model working, you need ever to use the reset x form function for reset to 100 the scaling and rotation paramter of 3d max, if not, in the weight you can get a dozen of troubles.

8 - remake the hierarchy

9 - now you can skin the model, you need to set as skin for everty mesh the bones that move .

10 - and now... weighting! all verttx of model... manually! have fun! O.o remember that a vertx cannot be rigged at more of 4 bones.

11: and work done export to XSI format and then into the carcass.exe of JKA sdk of raven, buold the GLM by the XSI.

12: okay, now check on model view the animation of your model and fix skin and texture path with SKIN files parameters edited wityh notepad.

13: if you some some horrible deformation on the moves of models.. you got errors in the weight. so you need to fix the model.

14 - okay, if you not become mad or your are not died, now you learn the truly frankesiein modelling. and that's is all the stuff for make with 3d studio max without modelling a new model by zero and make the uvmapping and the textruing. in that case.

15: i know so much that's procedure that i do that like a robot XD. all the 14 step for me ... mmm, i do all in a time between 1 to 3 days for models.

for modelling... that's can require months of works also for a talented modeller.

it's like mapping. for make a map years ago, i pass two months :\

It's hard to make, however. Model, mapping and coding are the hardest part of the modding. ypu need to start with the easy things if you want to learn all athats. for learn all that's thing i work alone for hobby, years first of the existance of that forum. i begin some years for begin to make some good progress. :\

Okay, my english it's a nightmare,. sorry, it's hot today in my home. :S

Mandalorian likes this