Star Wars Rebels

@@hleV

It is good, that you added more to the previous comment of yours. In any case, how do you evaluate, which logic can be applied to all Star Wars and which is "irrelevant"? It doesn't mean that Rebels should use the same pattern as in the movies. There is actually no need for that kind of logic, applied to such scenes, as mentioned before.

Your ghosts/droids/Force/magic examples are absolutely nonsensical and irrelevant, by the way. I honestly can't tell what's going on in your head to write this shit.

All in my comments is written in due place and there is a reason I mention it here - all Star Wars secondary stories come through a similar path, always. They are evaluated and compared to what we see in the originals. So this is more essential while discussing Rebels than you claim.

I was simply saying, that the show has different sides, like previous EU. Rebels can be very different and have a very new feel, which might be against the tastes of some people. It doesn't make the show a bad taste completely. My personal choice would be Shadows of the Empire or Dark Forces II, but in Rebels I also patterns, which might make the show memorable and true to Star Wars, despite breaking some rules.

And be respectful, please. I've already asked for that above.

No, no, no. The movements in TCW are more fluid; the rendering and lighting is far more subtle; the animation style has more of a ThunderBird-esque look (unfortunately, but not as unfortunate as the following) instead of typical cartoony Disney animation you'd see in Tangled or something; and of course, the lightsabers are different.

Those Phase II clone troopers look way better than those Disneyfied stormtroopers IMO, with their big-ass helmets and cute design, too.

rPDWDAP.jpgvgiEqLM.png

See what I mean?

Cerez likes this

@@hleV
how do you evaluate, which logic can be applied to all Star Wars and which is "irrelevant"?

You can apply the logic that is seen in the movies, because that's the source material. 

It doesn't mean that Rebels should use the same pattern as in the movies. There is actually no need for that kind of logic, applied to such scenes, as mentioned before.

It does and there is. One is the source material and another is portraying Star Wars as something it isn't: a kids' thing that doesn't follow previously established logic because it's for kids, which makes fine for marketing but not fine for staying in the canon.

All in my comments is written in due place and there is a reason I mention it here - all Star Wars secondary stories come through a similar path, always. They are evaluated and compared to what we see in the originals. So this is more essential while discussing Rebels than you claim.

I was simply saying, that the show has different sides, like previous EU. Rebels can be very different and have a very new feel, which might be against the tastes of some people. It doesn't make the show a bad taste completely. My personal choice would be Shadows of the Empire or Dark Forces II, but in Rebels I also patterns, which might make the show memorable and true to Star Wars, despite breaking some rules.

And be respectful, please. I've already asked for that above.

If EU or whatever else Star Wars-shit contradicts the actual "Star Wars" then fuck that, non-canon. However your chosen examples are invalid and don't back up your claims.

I don't disrespect you. I disagree with you.
z3filus likes this

You can apply the logic that is seen in the movies, because that's the source material.

No, I mean, you apply one things from the movies, while ignoring others from the original source as well. Rebels surely incorporate the ideas, seen in OT and the prequels, yet you seem to believe, there are none. I might be wrong, that's what your previous comments suggest.

It does and there is. One is the source material and another is portraying Star Wars as something it isn't: a kids' thing that doesn't follow previously established logic because it's for kids, which makes fine for marketing but not fine for staying in the canon.

There are dozens of Star Wars stories, which follow the originals only to certain degree. You often say, that they don't count. That's something I don't understand. And yet anything said is then nonsensical. How is that backed up by anything at all?

If EU or whatever else Star Wars-shit contradicts the actual "Star Wars" then fuck that, non-canon. However your chosen examples are invalid and don't back up your claims.

Neither are yours. You've never brought in any examples, which would support the idea, that the original Star Wars movies are the prime orientation for all others. It's true, that they are canonical in their nature and nothing would doubt the events in them. Besides only the six movies (or nine episodes, though that remains to be seen) will be immortalized and most likely remembered in 60-100 years later.

But it doesn't mean, that the show is 100% bad. It also doesn't mean, the show will have to follow the original source and that there can't be any exception to the rule. Basically the way the above mentioned Sabine acted, jumping and acrobatically evading the shots from "bucket-heads", is not the prime idea in the show itself. Rebels are Star Wars not because of such things for sure.

I don't disrespect you. I disagree with you.

I refer not to what you say, but rather how you say things. Watch your language, as C-3PO said once.

Choose words to show respect to other people, who you disagree with, the way they respect you.

Two contradictory things cannot coexist in the same universe. The movies follow different logic than the show (and possibly other media). I'm done, as apparently you're having problems grasping this simple fact.

How can you say that  @@hleV ? The stormtroopers in ANH act almost exactly as the ones in Rebels.  :o

Indeed, like when han solo was running after those stormies on the deathstar, then ran into a room of like 50 of them, and not one of them managed to score a blaster hit on him :D.

yeah and many more scenes in the original trilogy were made playfully;  Sarlac Pit e.g

Han Solo:" Boba Fett ?   Boba Fett !?   --  Where?! " 
He turns around and hits Boba Fett in the Jetpack, sending him flying across the Pit.

Me thinks that the only SERIOUS moments in the OT were the ones between Luke and Vader. And ofcourse the death of Ewok soldiers..  :(

How can you say that  @@hleV ? The stormtroopers in ANH act almost exactly as the ones in Rebels.  :o

Oh then I guess the cast was just silly to put this much effort into escaping/fighting them, because as evident in Rebels, there's no need for any effort.

And never have I said that Stormtroopers are the shit. All I'm pointing out is that there is a marginal difference between the movie and the show logic, which separates their universes.

difference in logic? in what way? recent replies here prove that both the movies and animated series are very playfully acted. So what kind of logic are you talking about?
How is this animated series different from the movies? Other that being animated obviously.

NumberWan likes this

In the movies enemy is taken seriously and the cast is often saved by luck (aka not-so-obvious plot armor) while in the show nobody cares that there are 10 stormtroopers 10 meters away shooting at you.

Good point lol.

The only counter point I can make is the movie cast didn't know how incompetent the stormies were, while the rebels have been fighting them for awhile, and know how incompetent the empire can be.

EDIT: However, I still have to agree with you that the stormies in rebels are more incompetent. When they raid the prison to rescue luminara, the stormies at the door don't even shoot them, just stand there as the whole team jumps down and takes them out...

Good point lol.

The only counter point I can make is the movie cast didn't know how incompetent the stormies were, while the rebels have been fighting them for awhile, and know how incompetent the empire can be.

EDIT: However, I still have to agree with you that the stormies in rebels are more incompetent. When they raid the prison to rescue luminara, the stormies at the door don't even shoot them, just stand there as the whole team jumps down and takes them out...

Don't overlook the the whole "surprise" thing. Just cause they are clones (not great batches by this time) doesn't mean they can instantly recognize a situation and act on it. You sit guarding a cell no one goes into all day, day in day out. Someone drops in you aren't just going to open fire.

I grew up with the original trilogy and even when I was little you could tell the Stormtroopers were a bit off. When they captured the blockade runner and boarded they couldn't aim then, and that was the start of the movie! To be honest, neither could the Rebels, really.

If the Rebels were good shots they'd never let them out that blown up door.

@IrocJeff

When I were a child, I never actually thought, whether the stormtroopers are so precise as Obi Wan says in Episode IV.  ^_^

It's funny, that Star Wars created the official term for "stormtrooper effect" (though they are surely not the first to demonstrate it) and almost nobody managed to get rid of it. Take Starship troopers for instance: they main characters were sure to be dead in a few moments after the first bug came out to attack them. Rebels are using the same method plus the children/teens orientation. I personally don't see anything bad about it, as it is often quite easy to omit the moments you don't like, keeping an eye on the scenes, which are more important to both as a viewer and a Star Wars fan.

In one episode Tarkin states, that it's a characteristic of this cell - not to kill the Imperials, but rather to humiliate them, show troops as fools or slow in actions.

@zeƒilus

The films and the series are different, though they do have many similarities, which various people pointed out in the beginning last year: this includes the events, characters models and clothes style, overall continuity, music, etc. I don't know, what is really meant by logic above, maybe that the Rebels should strictly follow from the movies (let us be frank, the prequels break many rules established by the OT, but "that's a discussion, perhaps, for another time" as Kreia would say). Should they? What logic precisely?

The format of the show dictates, that it would show some things differently. The number of kills for instance. Almost none.

I can see the difference in the Rebels and the OT films only to the point, that certain things wouldn't have been created in 1970. For instance, Maketh Tua, an Imperial minister would have been most likely a man in grey uniform. Sabine Wren is also a trend closer to today's realities, her armour is too colourful and she acts more like today's teenager, whilst Luke and Biggs act closer to what we see in 1970s. The way they speak, what they talk about, besides their appearance. Perhaps it's Tatooine's influence.

:)

Perhaps we expect a certain "epicness" from the show similar to the whole Saga. But the series is talked about only while it's airing and people can watch it. Most people don't remember (don't know) Dark Forces, Thrawn trilogy, but do recognize Yoda, Luke and of course Darth Vader.

@IrocJeff

When I were a child, I never actually thought, whether the stormtroopers are so precise as Obi Wan says in Episode IV.   ^_^

It too me a long to understand this and I honestly don't think I got it until I saw the 97' Special Edition a few times in theaters. I answered it a while ago but it got lost or no one cared what I said so I'll restate here.

He is alluding to precise like knowing where to shoot at to disable the crawler or its systems. Sandpeople were to dumb to know where to aim for. 

I can see the difference in the Rebels and the OT films only to the point, that certain things wouldn't have been created in 1970. For instance, Maketh Tua, an Imperial minister would have been most likely a man in grey uniform. Sabine Wren is also a trend closer to today's realities, her armour is too colourful and she acts more like today's teenager, whilst Luke and Biggs act closer to what we see in 1970s. The way they speak, what they talk about, besides their appearance. Perhaps it's Tatooine's influence.

That is another great point. Luke and Biggs' hair alone just said middle 70's. Mustaches were big then as you can see in sitcoms and movies throughout the 70's. Can probably blame that one on Burt Reynolds.

One reason for the Stormtroopers bafoonery & bad aim in Ep. IV is that Vader wanted them (heroes) to escape with the tracker installed on the ship. But in my opinion these animated shows and later movies take it too far to the point of idiocy.

Quoted for the truth.

Not just that, the empire loves to pump out as many stormtroopers as quickly as possible. They don't need competent soldiers in the empire, just people who are smart enough to follow orders and intimidate civilians. Have a criminal record and are addicted to death sticks? Join the empire, you can boss people around.

z3filus likes this
  • 2 weeks later...