Jedi Academy mod: Star Wars ~ Episode VII

Alternatively, you can duplicate the layer, colourize it, then select portions and cut them. It's what I would do if I were recolouring say, tunics. Rather than remembering the values for the colour every time, I'd just do it all in one go like that then cut the bits I don't want coloured from the layer afterwards. The original copy will be underneath that layer, un-altered, so it'll show underneath. ^_^

No-no-no! I actually prefer GIMP. I'm just asking so I know how to help. Right-click the bottom layer, select "Duplicate Layer".

When you've done, go to "Layer", then "Transparency" and click "Add Alpha Channel". What that does it make it so that when you cut bits out of the layer, the gap left behind will show the layer beneath it. If you didn't do this, it'd just show white.

Next, click "Colors" at the top, then "Colorize". Play with it until you've found a color you like. Hit OK.

Use the selection tools to select parts of the newly-coloured layer, then hit "Ctrl+X" to cut them (or click "Edit" then "Cut".) Only do this for bits you don't want to have been coloured. E.g. Perhaps the eyes, or teeth.

Done, new skin color!

Last point. This is only relevant if you're saving any images as .jpg files, by the way:

When you click "File -> Export" to create the .jpg or to overwrite the old file, make sure "Optimize" and "Progressive" are un-ticked as they are in the image below. If you don't do this, JKA will fall out with you.

wbit.jpg

No GIMP is great.

Yeah selecting it is fine like that. But I'm not sure if those colors are what you want. Are you trying to change all of the blue skin?

Yes, I am trying to make all the blue skin yellow just like in the picture I provided of the Twi'lek Jedi Master.

No-no-no! I actually prefer GIMP. I'm just asking so I know how to help. Right-click the bottom layer, select "Duplicate Layer".

When you've done, go to "Layer", then "Transparency" and click "Add Alpha Channel". What that does it make it so that when you cut bits out of the layer, the gap left behind will show the layer beneath it. If you didn't do this, it'd just show white.

Next, click "Colors" at the top, then "Colorize". Play with it until you've found a color you like. Hit OK.

Use the selection tools to select parts of the newly-coloured layer, then hit "Ctrl+X" to cut them (or click "Edit" then "Cut".) Only do this for bits you don't want to have been coloured. E.g. Perhaps the eyes, or teeth.

Done, new skin color!

And I know this is a dumb question, but uhh how I select the bottom layer? :/ Like, I went to Layer and there wasn't a list of layers like there are in Photoshop, or at least I seem to remember Photoshop showing the layers....

Yeah, I can safely say that they are. You've cut out the right bits, but that layer isn't transparent. Select that layer in the layers window, then, at the top of the image: go to "Layer", then "Transparency" and click "Add Alpha Channel". Select the white section and Ctrl+X if it's still there.

Sorry, had to take a shower. Alright, I'll do that and I'll post the result and you guys can tell me what you think. On another note, does anyone know any hilt makers that are willing to make hilts for people? I just really want the hilts to be custom cuz...you know..."Each lightsaber is as unique as the Jedi who wields it."