Jedi Academy mod: Star Wars ~ Episode VII

I don't know lol. I thought it was something like Sony Vegas or something. I'll check it out but I'm not giving up on this just yet. Does anyone have a link to their website? Cuz I think I was looking at a different Machinima than what you guys are talking about...

I don't know lol. I thought it was something like Sony Vegas or something. I'll check it out but I'm not giving up on this just yet. Does anyone have a link to their website? Cuz I think I was looking at a different Machinima than what you guys are talking about...

It's not a product. It's a method used to make movies using a video game. He's saying you should make your idea a machinima project, instead of a mod.

So now that you know that, go back and read our reasons for that. :D

Basically, you get a bunch of players together with custom maps, models, skins and such and film the story in multiplayer. He's suggesting turn the project into a movie rather than a playable mod. Once you get some decent footage, you can start to add voice-overs and other special effects whilst you edit the scenes together. I have to agree that it would be substantially less work than creating an entire mod. On top of that, from what I've read so far (and this isn't a bad thing!) you've been more focused on the story you want to tell as opposed to how we'd play through it if the idea were a playable mod instead. You're thinking in terms of story-telling and not game development. Machinima's more or less just a term used for films created using gameplay footage.

If you are interested in Eezstreet's idea, then you want to get started on a more structured script, and outline exactly what you'll need for each individual scene when you're done. You'd have to be very specific and descriptive when requesting skins/models or whatever else so that those willing to volunteer would be able to help without constantly asking "is this what you want?"

Hope that helps. :P

eezstreet likes this

Let's say Circa, TheRfiles, Eezstreet and myself agree to help. With a machinima we would set up a private server first. Then we'd all log on and choose the skins you wanted to use for the movie.

You enter spectator mode to be the camera man, Circa is Luke, Rfiles is Yan, Eez is Darth Sith, and I'm Kyle.

You would then message Rfiles to saber duel Eez a certain way while you recorded it. Then when Eez 'beats' Rfiles you'd tell Circa to move into the scene and talk with Eez.

etc etc

Do you get it now? Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir_fzaweSjg

Machinima isn't software, it's "the use of real-time computer graphics engines to create a cinematic production." In other words, you are literally filming the gameplay. This means that you're supposed/encouraged to use custom maps, skins, lightsaber hilts and so on. Volunteers will join a private, online server with you and follow the script you've put together whilst one of you films it. When you're done, you'll later edit that footage together into a watchable film to upload to a place like Youtube.

Maps, skins, hilts and so on would be created as they always are in their respective modding programmes (E.g. You still map with GTKRadiant etc.). You upload that custom content to an online Jedi Academy game server. Then you and your actors (found at this site or elsewhere) connect to this server and act out the script you've written, and film it in Jedi Academy with software such as Fraps.

(Fraps is video capture software that records your gameplay and saves it in a video format)

No it can be done. He is joking that you chose some locations that would be VERY difficult to create.

You should go look in the tutorials section to see what it will take to make a map.

The things you are requesting are rather difficult things to do. To some people they are not too hard, but still very time consuming. If you have a time limit before you go to college your best chance is to use exitsing maps, skins/models, etc.

therfiles likes this

Congratz on picking some of the most poly intensive city planets you can think of for your locations. :D

Yeah dude you might want to look into modelling the map then importing in said models to reduce compile time/ tris if you're doing something expensive like that. Worked for me