my attempt on Starkiller

vva.gif

The eyebrows, the hairline up a bit and angled, and the scar on his eye goes below the eye too. Plus he has a small scar across his nose. Notice the retina size differences... IDK if thats relevant or maybe an angle thing

It's not meant to be a likeness sculpt obviously, just a quick & dirty planes study with tons of mistakes. So basically you start with major bony landmarks, eyesockets, zygomatic, jaw line etc...once you've got the proportions you want you can start adding muscles and flesh to make it human.

Your head lacks surface changes, it looks round from almost every angle (aka lack of forms). I pushed the features to really get the point across. I know you are only using a modeling app and can't really carve that kind of details, but you still need to move verts and break down the "ball" shape.

Check out Jordu Schell's work for great reference:
http://schellstudio.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=220

planes_sculpt.jpg

The same principles apply for low poly:

head_planes_lp.jpg

DT. likes this

It's starting to reallyhave his likeness I'm pretty excited about this model. And with your previous work such as Lurtz, The Witch king, and the Bezerker Wookie, I am very excited and anxious to see what you come up with for his body and textures. Grade A work here brotha

I think this one is going to look great. For the texture, there's not much room for personal interpretation, just do it exactly like it is on the pictures and you'll be fine. For the shapes though, that's a different story.

mwKtxKA.jpg

just noticed I have to widen the neck a little , treid to reshape the head to hit your crits @@Psyk0Sith will uplaod to p3d.in later

so this is my current body wip , I'll make heavy use of alpha maps for all that torn cloth

EDIT :

Starkiller Body WIP (View in 3D)

just have to add some cloth strips to his left wrist and the upper body geometry is done

*My Very Un-Educated Opinion*

Alpha map those damn buckles, optimize the tris in the furlows. Delete the bottom depth of the belts as they will not be seen, and spend those saved verts back on the arm and leg wraps. Also, the chest armor, doesnt have that sharp point near the front on the neckring portion does it? It's more flush with the armor

I say *My Very Un-Educated Opinion* because you taught me 97.4% of what I know about modelling, and I'm sure itll turn out fine. but my opinion is like a firey burp locked inside me and I just combust if I dont let one out every now and again.

Screw it I'm resurrecting my SK tonight... Master vs Apprentice >=)

You're prolly gunna blow mine out the water... If so.. may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your balls.

Omicron and DT. like this

*My Very Un-Educated Opinion*

Alpha map those damn buckles, optimize the tris in the furlows. Delete the bottom depth of the belts as they will not be seen, and spend those saved verts back on the arm and leg wraps. Also, the chest armor, doesnt have that sharp point near the front on the neckring portion does it? It's more flush with the armor

I say *My Very Un-Educated Opinion* because you taught me 97.4% of what I know about modelling, and I'm sure itll turn out fine. but my opinion is like a firey burp locked inside me and I just combust if I dont let one out every now and again.

Screw it I'm resurrecting my SK tonight... Master vs Apprentice >=)

You're prolly gunna blow mine out the water... If so.. may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your balls.

That'll do.  :blink:

ChalklYne likes this

I really dislike the straps. And as for the torn peices of cloth... dont do it like that... do it like this...

b62y.jpg

exactly like it looks. Paint the rips exactly like this. 

For the straps, make each one independent man. Wont cost u but maybe 100 tris and the entire model would look so much better. Then overlay maybe a stretched satin texture (easily created in photoshop) to get that clothy look to it. with this guy, if u spend so much time on the face, better spend so much time on everything or itll look like a decent head transposed onto a jka body. you're scared to use a few more tris huh? its yer model bro

Not too bad!  What's it for exactly?

Just for the sheer will of his creativity :D

not just that :

a. had been thinking about modeling him for a while as he used to be one of the most requested characters and there wasn't a decent model of him and I allready attempted to model his head ages ago (but failed)

b.Chalks numerous attempts made it look like a challenge to get his head right , which it was and I'm still not happy with the textures

c. and it's ofc going to end up in JA

I really dislike the straps. And as for the torn peices of cloth... dont do it like that... do it like this...

b62y.jpg

exactly like it looks. Paint the rips exactly like this. 

For the straps, make each one independent man. Wont cost u but maybe 100 tris and the entire model would look so much better. Then overlay maybe a stretched satin texture (easily created in photoshop) to get that clothy look to it. with this guy, if u spend so much time on the face, better spend so much time on everything or itll look like a decent head transposed onto a jka body. you're scared to use a few more tris huh? its yer model bro

1. I'm NOT done with the torn cloth pieces it was jsut getting late AGAIN (again) and I figured I'd just take a few renders and go to bed afterwards

2. modeling those straps will take more than quite a few hundreds of verts , as I'll need to have 8-10 sides for each one to get them to look halfway decent and I'm allready at 4890 verts/6193 tris so I'm kinda in the red-zone allready

ChalklYne likes this

What are JA's limits?  I'm wanting to make some stuff myself and i'm trying to work out what the limits are.  Say for a hilt?

I read that you can have about 1k polies and a model can be made of up to 34(?) parts of 1k polies?

Obviously a hilt wouldn't even exceed 1,500 max but just asking xD

not polys : vertices , JA cares mostly about vertices you can have 32 polygroups with 1000 verts each , having more than 500 for a piece will disable dynamic shadowing

and there's another animation reated error chalk keeps experiencing with high tri models , right bud @@ChalklYne  ;)