Shift a Rigged Model on the Skeleton

Go to solution Solved by Azatha,

I'm still really new to this, so I don't know if this is a stupid question or not.

I've been given a rigged up version of my model, but the body seems to have been placed a bit too far left on the skeleton. I have noticed if I move the body, then go look at the 'skin' modifier to edit anything, the piece of the model then appears where it used to be. Is there any way to shuffle the body over slightly, and shuffle the weights too? Or would the entire thing need to be rigged again?

Part of my reason for wanting to do this is thatsome fingers of the left hand seem to be touching the thumb bone. The parts where it intersects deform during animations, and look like they're weighted to it. However, if I select those verts and put the abs effect to 0, nothing changes.

I either need to move the model, or figure out how to erase the weight on those verts.

HandProblem.jpg

looks like 3dsmax. id erase the whole envelope on the hand, reposition the mesh of the hand to match the skele bones, and re-rig the hand. 20 minutes. as long as repositioning the mesh of that left hand doesnt make the hand look asymmetrical to the other one. suttle movements lol

Like I said, I select the verts, change the abs effect, and nothing happens. I've already being doing it all the way your image says to. It stays red, and weighted, in those sections touching that bone, regarless of what I set it to. I'm a bit confused by this. I thought of respositioning the hand, because if I move it out of the way I'm able to change those verts just fine. however, the entire model if off-center, not just the hand. Which is why I'd like to know if I can, and how, move the whole model without reweighing everything. I could reweigh just the hand, but it would no longer match up with the entire rest of the body.

You won't be able to move the whole thing by simple select and move, it will snap back into place because of the skin modifier.

Try this, copy the skin modifier (right click on stack), delete it, move your mesh to correct position, now right click the stack and paste the skin modifier back on, it should've retained the weights. Compile it and check that the mesh looks correct in modview, proceed with the remaining meshes.

You could also go in and fix those weights, just select them manually and increase the abs spinner influence.

DT. likes this

The the copy/paste thing, it cause the hand to warp into a very funny shape. I also think I'm very blind, I'm not seeing a reset button. Will that wipe away all the weighting? I'm hoping to avoid that because I don't think I know what I'm doing well enough to start from scratch.  :(

• Solution

Just to note, I found out how to move the model without messing up the weights:

To adjust the skin and/or bones without affecting the envelopes:

1. Save the scene.

This is a potentially destructive operation, so it's best not to take any chances with your data.

2. Select the object to which the Skin modifier is applied.

3. In the Advanced Parameters rollout, turn off Always Deform.

4. Apply any necessary transforms to the mesh/patch object or bones objects.

5. Turn Always Deform back on.

AshuraDX, Psyk0Sith and DT. like this

Hey there! Hi Psyk0! Is it too late to tell you to move to Softimage Mod Tool? Hehe. In Softimage, you can disable the envelopes, move your vertices, even add subdivisions for more detail and when you re enable the envelopes even the new geometry has the proper weighting. Alex here (Minilogo) and myself can help you with the transition, even share screens with Google Hangout if you need to.

Psyk0Sith likes this