Multiple Models In Modview?

Hullo again folks!

Is there any trick to getting Modview to load two models simultaneously?

The nearest I can get is bolting a new model to the "motion" bone, but the only problem is when bolting a model to a bone it is loaded at half the size. If there was a way to get around this, my problem would be solved, as it seems the 'motion' bone bolt-on would line up directly with the rest of the model if it was full-size.

I've always wondered if this was possible. For some reason or another, I never got around to experimenting to find out. I'm inclined to think that it won't be possible. But then again, how do people manage to bind weapons and things in Modview, then?

I've always wondered if this was possible. For some reason or another, I never got around to experimenting to find out. I'm inclined to think that it won't be possible. But then again, how do people manage to bind weapons and things in Modview, then?

You can bind weapons by "bolting" the gun or lightsaber to the r_hand tag surface. And indeed you can do the same with fullblown player models; and with tag surfaces the models don't shrink as they do when bolting to the bones. The only problem is none of the tag surfaces align perfectly with the host model.

Hm, though this does lead to a thought; if somebody familiar with modelling could clue me in on how tag surfaces are implemented exactly, and whether or not it is possible to add tag surfaces to an existing model without having to rig/weigh the whole thing again, it might simply be a case of adding an appropriately aligned tag surface to the original model, then bolting a second model to it in Modview to load both models simultaneously.

Think I might have gone a bit rambly there, so apologies if I lost anyone, heh.

It sounds possible....I don't use ModView that often, so I can't really say.

If it doesn't...why not make an update that allows it?

I'm afraid rewriting software is completely out of my ballpark (and I imagine most people's, heh). My limit is a touch of .xml editing  :P

Well for the hidden melle grabs that kyle uses, try to attach a model to a bolt and have it run the opposing animation of it being grabbed. if you play around enough with it, it may be the way, also I'm sure that motion is the right way to go in this process but I haven't tried this, I have just loaded to models in two open programs of modview an put the windows together. It is kind of a retarded way of doing it and not that effective but i don't really know any other way thru the program itself.also if you do find out how to add new tags, i would like to know , i can't figure an easier way than hex editing, and im not sure you can do it to merge tags from other models.

Just either learn the basics of using Softimage Mod Tool or Blender and just import the models to view them. All of the games uncompiled source files are available to download, can be imported into almost any 3d software of your liking since just about every major 3d software package can import .XSI 3.x files.

Are we in a position to get those source codes if we ask them in a nicely?

Much more likely than getting the SP or Engine source code anyway, since it's just an internal tool that would probably not require the publisher's approval to be released.

I just checked out His tool, It isn't bad but i dont think im setting it up quite right, the ability to use different lighting is good I think, if he worked on the jka modview then we would have a chance to get a more useful tool and that's always a welcome possibility.

I've sent an email to the appropriate person at Raven Software, who can apparently answer one way or another if the company would be willing to release the source code of Modview to the modding community. Will let you folks know when I have a reply.

Best bet would be to get in touch with Rich Whitehouse, judging by his work here I'm sure he had something to do with ModView.

Judging from ModView's credits (seriously guys, just click help->about): nope, that would be Ste Cork with some help by Mike Crowns. Well, maybe he gave some advice without getting credit?

The name I was given by Raven's community people was one "Mark Kilborn". The Audio Director according to the site, but who knows what he was doing ~ten years ago. If one of you guys wants to email Ste Cork too, go right ahead. 

Received no reply so far (still think it was weird to be pointed to the Audio Director of all people, can't see how it would be in his sphere of inlfuence). So just sent another email to Mr Cork, hopefully that will bear more profitable fruits.

Bad news, I'm afraid, but Ste gave a thorough explanation as to the reasons for why which was appreciated;

"Thx for the enquiry about the ModView source, however ( here it comes… ) the source code that’s currently out there for people to make MP mods etc is all that we received clearance to release.

( e.g. one of which is here  http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Jedi_Academy_SDK_MP;20909 )

We do still have the full source code inhouse, but the condition it was archived in isn’t suitable for public release, due to it containing things like NDA-covered SDKs for various bits of middleware, plus the last-minute additions for the disk-protection.  Getting legal permission for releasing even small parts of it ( assuming we had the time to pick out just the bits for ModView out of the rest of the source code, which we don’t right now ) is complicated by the whole LucasArts involvement as well, and when lawyers play safe they usually do so by just saying no. Either way, Legal wouldn’t want to budget the time to chase this up even if we asked them to.

Sorry about that.

Regards,

Ste Cork

Tech Programmer

Raven Software"