Where the heck are people posting about JKG if at all around here?

I downloaded this for shits and giggles and something right away bugged me big time, the walk animation that seems to have been made for no aparent reason to replace the base walk animation with one that sucks.

I'm sure I'll find other things if there were people online to where the TFFA match would actually start which leads me to why the F would you choose TFFA for a MMO based mod? FFA would be far more appropriate for the servers to run.

Hi there! Ok so a few things:

1. This is not an MMO mod, yet. It's being released in a phase system. More can be read about that here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/jkgalaxies/news/developer-diary-32-return-of-the-news

2. TFFA is therefor for the phase 1 gameplay, which is Faction Warefare. Essentially you have two teams, usually imperial vs. a gang (huttese on tatooine, black sun on coruscant) and for getting kills you get credits which you can use to buy better weapons later. 

3. Phase 2 is already being worked on, but the core mechanics are being released on phase 1 as testing and balancing. The final game will contain Phase 1 in the form of actual faction battle events, rather than a 24/7 server type thing. You would be alerted of a faction battle in game, and you could go attend the event for rewards. 

As for where JKG is lurking, Caelum's got all the right links, for JKhub, but we also have forums http://terrangaming.com/forums/project-discussion and moddb page I linked above.

I'm sure I'll find other things if there were people online to where the TFFA match would actually start which leads me to why the F would you choose TFFA for a MMO based mod? FFA would be far more appropriate for the servers to run.

Maybe if you would have read the actual release information, you'd realise that it's phase 1 of the mod.

As for animations, we've been looking for a new animator to take over for almost a year, probably longer. People on the team are planning to learn since no animators have stepped forward, but everyone who is working on the mod is very busy trying to get more important things done.

You're right. Just because its phase one, no one should post suggestions or make observations that might lead to improvements in the later versions.

Eh, relax. He was refering to the fact that he seemed to not know about the gameplay design of Phase 1, since he was talking about MMO and how FFA would be better suited to it. He was not putting down the use of suggestions.

Yeah thats right! Tell'em Inyri! You guys wanna fight?!

Jk.

But its true people here are being too hostile sometimes. I was kinda dissapointed to JKG but not because of its aspects. It was because player assistance. I joined serwer after the first release. But all my questions were ignored by staff member, if he had answered, I wold realise its not installed properly, and I wold probably play it.

Just seemed pointless to replace a perfectly good walk animation with one that isn't good, I'm sure there are other animations that could be made that will actually build on the game. For that it just seemed like the animator made that for the hell of it just because they felt like they could.

Why the hell is there no official server? Terran gaming used to have a couple of JA servers if I'm not mistaken, one good Lugormod server too but I think it went away when they all decided to hop on the TOR bandwagon.

The terran gaming site is absolutely horrible btw, wont go back there after they changed it from MF->TG, ads galore and none of the links take you to where they're supposed to unless you're a member it seems.

Why the hell is there no official server? Terran gaming used to have a couple of JA servers if I'm not mistaken, one good Lugormod server too but I think it went away when they all decided to hop on the TOR bandwagon.

Apparently the host ripped them off or something and put their server in France, I forgot the full details, could be wrong. I don't know why it is gone now. I have seen some sort of official server up from time to time with JKG developers on it, but its passworded.

The server issue summed up in a tweet:

Server company sucked, regardless no one was able to pay for it due to lack of communication so it went down. Jake is looking into getting a dedicated server machine around February. There is a 24/7 server being hosted by Jenova leader Tiger, and every day there is at least 1 home hosted server up. Fighter's seems to be up every day, and also some AOD members host frequently.

If everyone here spent less time thinking about how they could be aggressive toward the poster above them and more time having actual constructive conversations we'd probably have more traffic.

The passive aggressive retort doesn't help either. Moon's response was imo not necessary but I can easily see how he came to that conclusion, and no harm done. Astral had a good point too.

Sounded hostile to me.

It's more the fact that Astral wasn't referring to the suggestions whatsoever, merely the confusion the OP had.

Apparently the host ripped them off or something and put their server in France, I forgot the full details, could be wrong. I don't know why it is gone now. I have seen some sort of official server up from time to time with JKG developers on it, but its passworded.

Yep, that's eezstreet's homehosted server for testing the lightsabers before we release the saber system. It's just passworded because the server will crash when people without the saber binaries join. We're not trying to hold secret dev-only JKG matches or anything. :D

Just seemed pointless to replace a perfectly good walk animation with one that isn't good, I'm sure there are other animations that could be made that will actually build on the game. For that it just seemed like the animator made that for the hell of it just because they felt like they could.

The terran gaming site is absolutely horrible btw, wont go back there after they changed it from MF->TG, ads galore and none of the links take you to where they're supposed to unless you're a member it seems.

Yeah, the animations are bad. Currently we have no animators to replace them, but we are going to probably revert most of them back very soon. (one of those small things we keep forgetting about while we are working on much bigger things). 

As for the terran gaming site, it just got a total makeover which should have been beta tested a bit by their developers. A plethora of links are not working, including the forums link on our project page to take you to the JKG discussion forum. That, and the site design for TG has leaked into the untouched site CSS of the JKG pages (which has retained it's blue theme) which makes for a very confusing and broken theme. I'm sure this will be fixed soon, CSS can cause problems easily but is also very easy to fix.

Jk.

But its true people here are being too hostile sometimes. I was kinda dissapointed to JKG but not because of its aspects. It was because player assistance. I joined serwer after the first release. But all my questions were ignored by staff member, if he had answered, I wold realise its not installed properly, and I wold probably play it.

Sorry to hear about this situation. However I have a theory as to why this may have happened.

We have some extra chat modes which were made for Phase 2 gameplay. The chatmode which causes the most issues is Local, which can sometimes be the chat mode used by new joiners to the server. Local chat fades out with distance and I believe also VIS, and if for example you were on Coruscant no one would have heard you. 

The fix for this is to load up our official Binds, by doing /exec JKG binds. There is no way to set any defaults for the player, all mods have this problem (I remember joining MB2 for the first time and being so confused about Class Specials :D). Giving out a jampdefaults.cfg would not solve the issue as that would just overwrite people's graphics settings and whatnot, and cause grief and even crashes for some Intel cards which need certain settings disabled. 

We will try to make the executable more obvious. Currently it is talked about in the Game Manual which can be accessed through the Launcher. We will try perhaps a LUA script that might tell new players to a server to do /exec JKG_Binds if they haven't already. 

RancorSNP likes this
I downloaded this for shits and giggles and something right away bugged me big time, the walk animation that seems to have been made for no aparent reason to replace the base walk animation with one that sucks.

1. the walk animation and stuff is getting changed, if not probably reverted to base at some point in time. Since mrwonko's blender tools are available, I've been pushing for all our modelers to use Blender as that makes exporting and communication so much easier. (Explains why I was looking for a blender rigging tut heh). We have no dedicated animator at the moment though, so making new ones are out of the question for the moment until we can train everyone in using blender animations or bring in someone else. staff is getting stretched a bit thin though, we're down to around 5 people that work their socks off heh

2. TFFA is actually considerably more appropriate (in my opinion), as a large chunk of the game will revolve around it. Also there's things like "dungeon" type scenarios and stuff like that which necessitate teamwork. We want people to be closer together in other words, and TFFA is a great scenario for that.

Jk.

As Pande mentioned, you may not have been ignored, it may have been due to the fact that the channel settings have global and regular chat. While in regular chat, you can only see text from a certain distance away. If you are having problems, you can always talk to us on IRC (there's a quick access link in the news panel of the launcher) or send any one of us a PM on either here or TerranGaming and we're likely to respond to it within 12-24 hours, if there are no issues that is. :)

We have been in talks with TerranGaming, and that is going to get sorted out very soon, it's just a matter of getting the server and some complex negotiations between us and a server provider. BTW, TG still has their lugor server up, and there was actually a gaming event there tonight I think.

They're in the process of moving to another webhost atm, so that will help alleviate a lot of the stress on the server and make getting a copy of the mod easier.

I'd like to conclude that there's always people online on #JKGalaxies (irc.arloria.net, check the link in our launcher's news section to instantly start chatting) that idle and can answer questions and help you set up our match. I'm very grateful that our most devoted followers have said very kind things to us, but I feel that a lot of the outside has been quite mislead by the situation going on and all I ask is for a little bit of lenience and/or clemency in their hatred. I think once people have actually played the mod, they will feel that they can't stop. :)

The situation is going to get better in the mod, but it's all going to take time, and we're always constantly working on it and we try to keep an open mind for suggestions and concerns. Like I said though, I just ask that everyone calms down with the hate, no need to hate on each other in this thread, it's all good. Seen a lot of "this mod is not open world RPG?! WTF I HATE YOU" recently so I've pretty much learned to not get me down.

RancorSNP likes this

You'll never get the freedom with TFFA, that's why I think it's a terrible idea. It should just be FFA and let people group together on their own with people they know and enjoy playing with and not restrict it to 2 teams when it could be a handful of small teams.

Honestly, I played it for a bit and some features were pretty neat but if it stays TFFA I'll probably not play, too restrictive.

There are new gametypes planned and all kinds of other stuff.

Server admins are always free to pick whatever gametype they want, there's still stuff like duel and powerduel in but there's no maps for those that have shops atm. Heck, could even make a lugor clone, since there's a Lua scripting backend that's totally exposed for server owners to mess around with.

^That would be good since a server could say start with a "blank" map and use commands borrowed from lugormod to place merchants and items where the admin sees fit.

Also, are you guys doing anything to "fix" NPC bahavior in the MP engine? I think it would be very benficial to have properly working NPC's in a mod like this since the amount of players per server is serverly limited compared to a traditional MMO game. Adding NPC mobs that drop loot would be great.

You'll never get the freedom with TFFA, that's why I think it's a terrible idea. It should just be FFA and let people group together on their own with people they know and enjoy playing with and not restrict it to 2 teams when it could be a handful of small teams.

Honestly, I played it for a bit and some features were pretty neat but if it stays TFFA I'll probably not play, too restrictive.

That gameplay you describe is not what Phase 1 is. Again, i send you here: http://www.moddb.com...urn-of-the-news

Please read it. Phase 2 is not TFFA. It isn't FFA either. It's sandbox with PvP zones and Team events (what is currently in phase 1 will later be a team event). If Phase 1 was FFA, you could never have the shop and inventory system we do now without serious griefing opportunies by other players.