rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

Try a clean + rebuild, I've heard of this error before but I don't totally recall how to fix it. You might also try making sure you're running as administrator (or alternatively, making sure the code is in your homepath/documents folder somewhere) and/or installing Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2010 (not sure what version you're using there offhand)

Are there any shader keywords or any cvars that could control the intensity of the shadows themselves? It seems even with very subtle normal maps, the shadows themselves are totally black. Would be nice to see grey/transparent shadows, though I understand if it's not available or too expensive for the engine. Didn't find anything related to that in the readme, as far as I could understand it.

For example on walls that are facing the sun, the shadows seem to be very pitch black. I'm quite happy with the sun intensity, though I might change it if there's not a way to control the shading strength of the normal maps in another way. For some reason, the lower portion of the brick wall decides to be very shaded. The planks are also a bit too intense looking when facing the sun. It would feel more realistic if they were more grey-ish, revealing the texture underneath.

normalShades.jpg

That does look odd. What does your shader look like, and what does the normal map look like?

Shader:

textures/bootland/bricks3
{
	qer_editorimage	textures/bootland/bricks3
	{
		map textures/bootland/bricks3
	}
	{
		stage normalparallaxmap
		map textures/bootland_nmaps/bricks3_nmap
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
		blendfunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
	}
}

Normal map + parallax in alpha channel:

bricks3_nmap.jpg

funkyparallax.jpg

It has to do with the sun's elevation though, which was 30 in the screenshot. It doesn't happen if the elevation is higher, like 70.

Unsure how to setup both normal maps and displacement in 3DS Max, but using the parallax as displacement I get this:

bricks3%203dsmax.jpg

It's got some issues, but on the other hand I kind of like the cartoonish shapes of it. On the other other hand, I should learn to control how it displaces. I guess I need to Photoshop the transitions more properly. Tried exporting displacement from a nice Zbrush model I tweaked out of it, but got a quite useless barely visible map from it.

There's another place in game, by the way, where the black stuff doesn't happen, even being at the same angle.

But here's a screenshot of the same place I showed, sun height at 50. This time the texture seems to be washed out in the lower half, and the black evilness growing in the end over there.

normalshades2.jpg

Bonus question:

Is specular mapping broken?