A Quick Refresher on the File Uploading Rules

This is starting to become more and more of a problem. Not sure why, maybe it's because right around summertime people get more free time to start doing this sort of thing. We currently have seven files in the queue (!), all of which were uploaded by different people, and all of which don't have permission from the original author to do so. So to make our job easier (communication between the staff in situations like these is a pain in the ass) and to make your files show up faster, here are some general guidelines on what you should and should not upload.

• Don't have permission from the original author to upload the file? You're welcome to upload other people's mods, but don't upload it unless you have been waiting for more than 30 days for a reply. Be ready to provide proof. If they specify in their readme not to re-mirror the file, do not upload it period. Unless somehow you obtain permission. On the other hand, if they say that re-mirroring it is okay, go for it. Now keep in mind, your file will be given the @@JKHub account as uploader, since it's still not your file.
  • Obey copyright laws. Now granted, I realize that we have some mods which are on the site from before the porting policy was changed, and I'm willing to give those a pass because the rules have changed. But if your mod is just replacing content of the game with new copyrighted material, that's not allowed. A big example of this is music mods. It's not okay to take music from the Star Wars soundtrack and replace tracks from the game with them and call that your mod, in its entirety. Likewise, it's not okay to port music from other games (exceptions being JK2/JKA, Raven has said that it's ok to port between these two games) and call that a mod. Generally, if you feel like you can't say that a mod you're uploading is an artistic work of your own creation, then it's probably not okay to upload.
  • Staff decision is final. If you feel like some mistake has been made and your file got unjustly removed, you are free to protest this. However, it may (or may not) be in vain. We made these rules so that we can continue to deliver downloads to people without being bogged down in legal problems. It is your duty as an uploader to follow the rules of this website and have some basic idea of copyright.
swegmaster, MagSul, Circa and 7 others like this

Keep in mind, it's all on a case by case basis as well. Uploading other peoples' work is a messy business, and sometimes authors state in readmes that they don't allow any rehosting of their file. We honor that wish, despite the 30 day window.

We all want these mods to be preserved for as long as possible. We get that. FileFront/GameFront shutting down really made this whole process become more of a thing recently. But we can't just host someone's mod just because it's your favorite.

FileFront is being personally rehosted by @@mrwonko and should be sufficient for those mods that we don't have here. 

Barricade24, eezstreet and Smoo like this

I might be misunderstanding whether the updated EULAs play into this. I have a Phase II Dark Trooper from Empire At War and a Phase III from the cancelled Battlefront III. Both are part of the Dark Forces mod, and both have been properly credited to the original developers/Disney Interactive. Should I refrain from uploading here?

I might be misunderstanding whether the updated EULAs play into this. I have a Phase II Dark Trooper from Empire At War and a Phase III from the cancelled Battlefront III. Both are part of the Dark Forces mod, and both have been properly credited to the original developers/Disney Interactive. Should I refrain from uploading here?

As long as what is uploaded is not the whole model and nothing else, you are fine. If you were to upload the Darktrooper model here, it would be denied. If you were to include it as part of the Dark Forces mod and upload the Dark Forces mod, that mod would be fine.
Jeff and Teancum like this

As long as what is uploaded is not the whole model and nothing else, you are fine. If you were to upload the Darktrooper model here, it would be denied. If you were to include it as part of the Dark Forces mod and upload the Dark Forces mod, that mod would be fine.

Okay, so if you download the DFMod and then use the Darktrooper models for personal use in other things, you're fine. If you try uploading them individually here, that's gonna lead to trouble. Correct, Eez?

eezstreet likes this

So to clarify -- as a small part of a much larger whole. Makes sense as that basically is the same as US Fair Use Copyright Law.

Okay, so if you download the DFMod and then use the Darktrooper models for personal use in other things, you're fine. If you try uploading them individually here, that's gonna lead to trouble. Correct, Eez?

Yes, that's correct. It wouldn't matter if it was a port in that case either. If you try to release a part of a mod without permission on JKHub, we're going to have problems.

Yes, that's correct. It wouldn't matter if it was a port in that case either. If you try to release a part of a mod without permission on JKHub, we're going to have problems.

Thanks. I don't understand why people can't learn to go through the proper channels. Even when people throw out the "It's all property of Disney anyway" line they're just using it as an excuse. It's about respect for the fact that others worked really hard on their content. We all realize we hold no copyright claim, but we put hours and hours into our work and don't want our thunder stolen from us.

There's more to it than that, obviously, but I like your policies. We run similar policies at Gametoast.

eezstreet and TheWhitePhoenix like this