Windows 7 can't run Jka

Go to solution Solved by Bek,

Okay, so I just upgraded to Windows 7, which is a huge deal for me, mainly because I was stuck with Xp and Vista for longer than I can remember.

Anyways, like a sane person I install Ja first chance I get, but for whatever reason I am unable to get to the main startup screen(I'm stuck on the one that appears immediately after you start it up). I would post a screenshot, but when I take a screenshot I am unable to get one of the screen, it just shows the desktop and says that jka has crashed.

However recently it was suggested to me that I should download Gldirect, and put opengl32.dll in my Gamedata folder, but when I did I get this error: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SNmRAqpEKrVG90SlVUMXZ4TEE/view?usp=sharing

Any ideas guys?

Before you move opengl32.dll anywhere near system32, what graphics chip/card do you have? I'm going to guess it's an onboard Intel graphics chip. I would advise you NOT to replace the opengl32.dll in your system32 folder. Keeping it in the GameData folder is fine if you have to use it (which I don't think you do).

Lol.

Moving dlls around I do not advice, unless your prepared to brick your machine.

Heh, the opengl32.dll that came with my machine didn't work at all, I deleted it. I know what your thinking, you idiot! Nope...it DID NOTHING. I couldn't run anything that used opengl, the program would either crash, or not render at all. I downloaded the latest version on the web, put it in the system32, and wallah, opengl stuff works now.

@

If you have both the opengl32.dll in your gamedata and the GLdirect on, it might not work. Please listen. I had the exact same problem as you. I have an ATI radeon x1200. First, remove the opengl32.dll out of your gamedata folder. Then, if you have GLDirect installed, find the exe and open it. In the settings, click the box/circle that says Hardware. Then, in the box above that, click it and select "SciTech GLDirect OpenGL Non-Shader Driver". Then try running JKA. Works for me, hope it will work for you.

Bek likes this

Okay, so I just upgraded to Windows 7, which is a huge deal for me, mainly because I was stuck with Xp and Vista for longer than I can remember.

Anyways, like a sane person I install Ja first chance I get, but for whatever reason I am unable to get to the main startup screen(I'm stuck on the one that appears immediately after you start it up). I would post a screenshot, but when I take a screenshot I am unable to get one of the screen, it just shows the desktop and says that jka has crashed.

However recently it was suggested to me that I should download Gldirect, and put opengl32.dll in my Gamedata folder, but when I did I get this error: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SNmRAqpEKrVG90SlVUMXZ4TEE/view?usp=sharing

Any ideas guys?

• Install patch 1.01
  • Use OpenJK - jamp.exe has an issue with OpenGL extension reporting. The only reason GLDirect may work is because it doesn't report as many extensions (nor support them)
  • Update graphics driver.

Heh, I actually updated my gfx drivers via the catalyst myself. It actually screwed things up even more. That's why I didn't suggest it, but good job @@Merek in doing so anyways! But that's just me, glad it worked for you!

I swear the jedi are taking ovah my computer...

Bek likes this