FBX to GLM converter

What is it?

The FBX to GLM converter will be able to convert the FBX model format to Raven's GLM and GLA formats. FBX is one of the most widely exportable formats from all major modeling programs, and it makes sense to be able to support this format to reach out to as many modelers as possible. In addition, FBX can be converted on the three major operating systems (Window, Linux and Mac), so this can further increase the number of people who can use it!

Download link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/874909/fbx2ghoul2.zip

Linux and Mac binaries can be created on request!

This is what it DOES do:

• Converts FBX file to GLM.

• Supports LODs.

• Supports static meshes.

• Animations using existing GLA files.

DOES NOT:

• Export custom skeletons

Road Map

Here's a rough outline of what I plan to do, and in which release/milestone it will be finished in.

1. Milestone 1 - Converts non-animated models to GLM.
  2. Milestone 2 - Converts animated-models to GLM.
  3. Milestone 3 - Converts animations to GLA.
  4. Milestone 4+ - Experimental optimizations of vertex data to potentially improve rendering performance. Also look into reducing animation jitter.

Original Post:

Aloha. I wanted to gauge how many modellers would be interested in an FBX to GLM converter (and potentially back again)? FBX is one of the most widespread interchange formats for models so all modeling programs should be able to produce FBX files. Autodesk provides a software development kit for the 3 major operating systems and so it is ideal for making a cross platform converter. The dotXSI dev kit is only available for Windows which makes it much harder to make a cross platform solution.

Obviously this could (easily?) be extended to produce GLA files as well.

Edited by Xycaleth
ChalklYne, DT., Psyk0Sith and 1 other like this

Huge interest, it's actually very similar to the dotXSI format which had an SDK out forever but since the 3 programs by Autodesk were in competition back in the day they didn't have good support for the format.

I didn't think of this option, thought that if the carcass code was released it could probably just be modified to include the newer dotXSI formats that crosswalk uses(5.x/6.x).

The best part would be letting Maya users join the community and having a way to bring models back into all software's with envelope data.

Softimage Mod Tool users should still stick to dotXSI for export since I believe UV info isn't preserved.

DT. likes this

Please Xycaleth do it! This is a superb idea, because all 3 major 3d packages can export/import FBX. Just had a thought. What about having Modview load up FBX, and you convert it to Ghoul2 in Modview? That way, you have a model viewer right there.

Now noesis can convert GLM to FBX. 3ds Max point of view.

The good:

- weights

- tags

- caps

- bones

The bad:

- UVW keeping is unknown

- bones are possibly bad (not sure if its just a scale issue that I had)

- scaling isn't converted from 0.64 back to 1.0, it's left at 0.64

- mesh parts aren't linked together

- mesh parts don't keep their original names

- the scene rotation is wrong (would be best to have a box where you can type in rotation values for all 3 axis)

We don't have carcass's source code so if anyone did decide to upgrade the Ghoul2 format for any reason, it would only be for Blender (due to Wonko's GLM exporter) and would leave 3ds Max & XSI users out in the cold lol.

^A good coder should be able to overcome the problems during conversion.

I wish we did have the carcass code, looking at the differences in 2 files that I exported, one being dotXSI 3.x and the other being Crosswalk (dotXSI 6.0) and the only difference I could find just by skimming through was the file version in the header. Making a new version of carcass that could accept dotXSI 5.x and 6.x would be the best since those file types transfer almost flawlessly other than IK but that's why I build shadow rigs now where the stuff that the mesh is weighed to is a simple null skeleton.

An interesting thing to ask is what versions of FBX will the converter support?

And what version do you want a test model in? I can supply Toshi's Luke in FBX format so you got a game-ready model with everything and I'll throw in a crappy LOD as well. ;)

An interesting thing to ask is what versions of FBX will the converter support?

And what version do you want a test model in? I can supply Toshi's Luke in FBX format so you got a game-ready model with everything and I'll throw in a crappy LOD as well. ;)

There's already a standalone FBX Converter from Autodesk that converts between different FBX versions. The 2013 Converter can go back to FBX 2006 -- which is the version that would support Max8. Previous converters can reach back farther. They're all downloadable from the FBX converter archives.

So I would recommend using the 2013 FBX SDK. People can then use the Autodesk FBX converters to convert whatever flavor of FBX they have in their 3D package to the 2013 FBX file.

An interesting thing to ask is what versions of FBX will the converter support?

Toshi's Luke would be good, thanks :D Can you throw in a simple animation with that as well please?

Not sure what versions it would support just yet but if Archangel is right about converting between version, then it shouldn't matter which version I target :P

DT. likes this

Toshi's Luke would be good, thanks :D Can you throw in a simple animation with that as well please?

Not sure what versions it would support just yet but if Archangel is right about converting between version, then it shouldn't matter which version I target :P

Sure can, I'll put in my testing weights animation which has all bones moving and the root pose at frame 0.

• 2 weeks later...

The reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Gets rid of needing carcass to compile models

2) Do not need to export to .XSI format

3) Should allow Maya users to make models for JKA

4) If .GLA export is implemented at some stage, this will allow Maya/XSI/3ds Max users to take advantage of any changes to the Ghoul2 format. Otherwise, only Blender users would benefit.

CaptainCrazy likes this

The reasons I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Gets rid of needing carcass to compile models

2) Do not need to export to .XSI format, you can export straight to .GLM

3) Should allow Maya users to make models for JKA

4) If .GLA export is implemented at some stage, this will allow Maya/XSI/3ds Max users to take advantage of any changes to the Ghoul2 format. Otherwise, only Blender users would benefit.

I always felt there was a lack of any tutorials or documentation on how to use carcass and assimilate too. I plan to provide full documentation with this converter too :)

Not to hijack a thread, but y'know what I'd really love? An ase to md3 or obj. converter that will preserve texture and shader information for JKA. Do you have a request list? :D

I'd be happy to look into it, but I can't make any guarantees as to if and when it's started/finished :P
Szico VII likes this