This frightens me.

• 2 weeks later...

Part 2 is apparently gonna be released soon. Still doesn't hide the fact that the mod is just a collection of smaller mods and painted to look pretty.

Also, can people stop bitching about the fact that KOTF has a virus? It's just a false positive, it will do you no harm.

Just FYI, Tim ("author" of KOTF) is going around servers with an advertisement bind trying to send people to the website. He has a static IP so if you'd like it for banning purposes feel free to PM me. I also suggest filtering "kotf.com" :P

He's connected as "Padawan", "Tim", "pADAWAN" and "Reborn" as of late... pretty desperate.

Jango40, therfiles, MUG and 1 other like this

Just FYI, Tim ("author" of KOTF) is going around servers with an advertisement bind trying to send people to the website. He has a static IP so if you'd like it for banning purposes feel free to PM me. I also suggest filtering "kotf.com" :P

He's connected as "Padawan", "Tim", "pADAWAN" and "Reborn" as of late... pretty desperate.

Saw him do this the other day actually...might have been on TO.

Are you sure it's actually Tim? Seen a guy spamming loads in MB2 as Padawan mainly.

Kotf really saddens me. It has lots of cool features. Some of their Uis...are just...awesome. I would just love to data mine it. He's got websites opening from the UIs...how does he do that? It really seems like he skirts over some of the core features in his videos, like missions. But overall, the mod is just far to cluttered with legal mess and other people's work.

Dear JKHUB, Please don't ban me for this post I am about to make

Linken233

I used to be a diehard KOTF fan, but after the disappointment of part 1, not to mention it being 4 years after it, I've pretty much lost all the hope I have. I might download it just out of curiousity, but after that, I'm done, but I probably should defend Tim on somethings he did. This is me speaking from my years of gaming experience (and college as I am majoring in Computer Science).

Copying the main assets: He had to do that for the sake of doing the startup menu, no other mod has that, not to mention its an EXPANSION pack, not an official one, but still is an Expansion. Like official expansion packs for legit games (Empire at War, Age of Empires) The game needs the original code and then has to build up from it.

Using other peoples work: Alright, during the glory days of when part 1 was released, a lot of people (including myself) asked Tim if he really had used other peoples work without permission, he said he didn't and had asked all modders. Even if he hadn't, I checked some of the mods, mostly skins, I know of that were used in KOTF, NONE of them said "You may not use these mods without my permission". Tim did give proper credit where it was due. Had he made all the maps from scratch, the mod would have taken SO much longer to make, even with half of the features it has.

Some of the other stuff he did (such as charge $100 for the DVD) is unacceptable and he should have been ashamed of that, the game after all was not his own creation, if I ever made a mod as big as that (and I sort of am in the process, shhh), I would never charge money, making a game modification for personal profit is illegal, as I'm sure it would be considered "soliciting money off the internet".

In conclusion, I don't support KOTF anymore, I might download it IF it gets good feedback (or maybe just for the star wars saga missions). I tried time and time again to renew my faith, but I just have no hope anymore.

Please don't ban me for the Hub for this.

I still don't see why the base assets are needed to make the start up menu work. I have used such a start up menu, even made one, and it didn't require me to copy assets. The right path would be to have the user manually copy over the assets from base to the appropriate folder.

As for Tim asking for permission, there is no doubt that he asked for permission for some things. Ultimately, we have no way of proving whether or not he did get permission. But still, there is no doubt that some authors refused to give their work and it was still used. There are some models that are unique and there are no other alternatives to using them. As for maps, it really seems like he just packaged a ton of them in there, and in some cases, straight decompiled them. It just seems like to me, if you are going to take a map, add entities to make it an SP level, fine. But just packaging an unmodified map(s) in your mod just isn't a good idea, in my opinion.

Feel free to express your opinion, bro.

Because I'd rather not post his static IP publicly.

Again, why not?

He's lost all respect in the community, stole money from people, threw viruses on people's computers and stole people's mods and you say that posting his IP is bad? If anything, some vigilante user will flood his ISP and that will be the end of it.