Map Lightning

Go to solution Solved by IrocJeff,

Hello. I've been recently working on some small map in gtkradiant, I decided to add some light and test it. I did that by just placing "light" and exporting map in some of last exporting methods like "simulate old style -light" etc. 

While testing it, map looks like there is light everywhere, it's kinda bright. I decided to delate "light" and test it again, but map is still bright.
My question is, why is map bright no matter which exporting method I use and how to add light properly?

*I ment lighting, not lightning, spelling error.

Yes but normally, when you compile the map without a light it should be dark shouldn't it? when mine is actually bright  just like during the day time.

It should be dark but if you used a shader that emits light the light entity wouldn't matter. You probably didn't do that. I know I can run the BSP option and then the Vis Fast after that and that seems to make the map a constant brightness for testing purposes I guess. Did you try any other BSP options? The first TEST one is the one I use most often.

Yes I did use other bsp options,
(single) BSP -meta,
(single) BSP -vis,  
and I followed some tutorial I found on youtube which said to use
(final)BSP -meta -vis -light -fast -filter -super 2 or (simulate old style -light -extra) and it always gives bright effect.
I'am new to map making so pls be precise :P

Yes I did use other bsp options,

(single) BSP -meta,

(single) BSP -vis,  

and I followed some tutorial I found on youtube which said to use

(final)BSP -meta -vis -light -fast -filter -super 2 or (simulate old style -light -extra) and it always gives bright effect.

I'am new to map making so pls be precise :P

Alright. What version of Radiant do you use and what are all of your BSP options? I just ran my one of my maps with the "simulate old style" choice and I noticed nothing different in the lighting in game.

try this

Make a room like 512x512x128. Texture it with any texture that does NOT have a white box around the image. Place 2 light entities suspended in the air at opposite ends of the room. Not up against the wall but maybe 32 units (8 small squares) away. Give them a light value of 128. Place an Info_Player_Start in the room in the middle between the two light entities. Save.

Now, run your Single BSP META that should be atop your choices.

Then, run something like Single light fast super 2 filter

Finally run the map in game.

Did this change anything?

BSP -meta will not compile any lighting at all. It will be bright because it has no light info at all.

If it's dark when you use a different compile option, then you probably didn't implement lights correctly. That means it's compiling the lighting but there aren't any to compile.

I always use this one:

FzSbQHN.png

Langerd likes this

Alright. What version of Radiant do you use and what are all of your BSP options? I just ran my one of my maps with the "simulate old style" choice and I noticed nothing different in the lighting in game.

try this

Make a room like 512x512x128. Texture it with any texture that does NOT have a white box around the image. Place 2 light entities suspended in the air at opposite ends of the room. Not up against the wall but maybe 32 units (8 small squares) away. Give them a light value of 128. Place an Info_Player_Start in the room in the middle between the two light entities. Save.

Now, run your Single BSP META that should be atop your choices.

Then, run something like Single light fast super 2 filter

Finally run the map in game.

Did this change anything?

https://jkhub.org/albums/fXUFM

Well what can I say, it worked on new map but does not work on mine :l

BSP -meta will not compile any lighting at all. It will be bright because it has no light info at all.

If it's dark when you use a different compile option, then you probably didn't implement lights correctly. That means it's compiling the lighting but there aren't any to compile.

I always use this one:

FzSbQHN.png

Did you try this?

https://jkhub.org/albums/CY5WD

Here is how it looks like in radiant, I made a skybox around it and no leaks error occurs during compiling.

https://jkhub.org/albums/LAGcS - and here is how compiling looks like.

https://jkhub.org/albums/6exOn - it's a small cinema with main hall and it's just bright all the time.

Is the whole map the same brightness or just that part? It could be an issue with _lightmapscale values. You can check by opening up any structural brush on the map. A wall brush, floor brush, ect. Select this brush and open click on N for the entity window. If you see a Key with called _lightmapscale and a value from 0-4 or something like that, delete that key.

If it is just on those movie seats the light is off, are they a func_group-? If so, do they have a _lightmapscale set to them. You check the same way as above. Outside of that I'm pretty stumped.

Is the whole map the same brightness or just that part? It could be an issue with _lightmapscale values. You can check by opening up any structural brush on the map. A wall brush, floor brush, ect. Select this brush and open click on N for the entity window. If you see a Key with called _lightmapscale and a value from 0-4 or something like that, delete that key.

If it is just on those movie seats the light is off, are they a func_group-? If so, do they have a _lightmapscale set to them. You check the same way as above. Outside of that I'm pretty stumped.

The whole map is bright, I checked some brushes and none of them has _lightmapscale. Is that bad?

Actually it was all bright even before I made those rooms.

No, you don't need it.

If it was bright before you made those rooms was it bright from the beginning? Did this happen on the first time you ran the map? 

Yes it was bright from the begining, I thought it's normal since I never made any map before.

I always use this one:

FzSbQHN.png

I just did that and it didn't change anything. I noticed that third window didn't show up.

First of all Your map is in big box .. is a common mistake and it takes compiler much more time to create Your map. A little tip from me. Try to make map as a small boxes that are connected to each other like this:

q4q3_2.jpg

The second thing.. make sure You have shaders done properly. Also i looked into the grid and i see some issues as well. The walls rly need to be connected together in a good way. They shouldnt be inside of each other. You rly need to avoid any chance to get leak. Your map should be closed to the void. 

issues.jpg

And from what i see i cant be 100% sure but the grid is for making map cleaner and more conistence.
I am not trying to be rude person. I try to help! ;) 

Maybe upload your map file for one of us to take a look at? Not really sure what's going on here.

Yea sure, no problem.

First of all Your map is in big box .. is a common mistake and it takes compiler much more time to create Your map. A little tip from me. Try to make map as a small boxes that are connected to each other like this:

q4q3_2.jpg

The second thing.. make sure You have shaders done properly. Also i looked into the grid and i see some issues as well. The walls rly need to be connected together in a good way. They shouldnt be inside of each other. You rly need to avoid any chance to get leak. Your map should be closed to the void. 

issues.jpg

And from what i see i cant be 100% sure but the grid is for making map cleaner and more conistence.

I am not trying to be rude person. I try to help! ;)

Well ye I will not lie I am not pro at doing it yet so it is kinda messy, I'll try to find these walls going throught others and fix them, it will take a while tho. Whenever some walls went through each other I used substract to replace them. And skybox is kinda big because I had some further plans for it.